Please give me feedback regarding my tattoos

Cheers everyone

Yesterday I had the word respect tattooed on my hand, aligned vertically with my little finger … will this visible tattoo cause any problem in my career ahead ? I also have an African symbol for patience on the back of my neck and mom dad on my shoulders.

PROBLEM ???

[QUOTE=sindbad the sailor;73937]Cheers everyone

Yesterday I had the word respect tattooed on my hand, aligned vertically with my little finger … will this visible tattoo cause any problem in my career ahead ? I also have an African symbol for patience on the back of my neck and mom dad on my shoulders.

PROBLEM ???[/QUOTE]

Hangover Part 3

PROBLEM ???[/QUOTE]

I have always feared this day when gCaptain would “jump the shark” and turn into a forum of the most innane asinine nonsense imaginable just like the Discovery and History Channels have…

oh so sad…so very, very, very sad…

PROBLEM ???[/QUOTE]
As my oldest grandson seems to aspire to be a Maori Warrior. I told him that when he dies, he can be skinned out and made into an interesting lampshade…

Depends upon what the career is, how motivated, how good a job you do, and if you have a bad attitude.

The ink is relatively immaterial to a seafaring job. However some in HR will ignore you upon application. Probably 50/50.

Read Tattoos in the Merchant Marine

PROBLEM ???[/QUOTE]

An accurate assessment can not be rendered without supporting photos.

I don’t need a photo, their gay, and nobody will hire you

[QUOTE=skycowboy;74124]I don’t need a photo, their gay, and nobody will hire you[/QUOTE]

That’s the right answer! You win today’s prize lad!

Keep up the good work…

You should quit worrying about what others thing Or stop getting tattooed … Don’t get any tattoos that can’t be covered by a suit

[QUOTE=Skoidat69;74171]… Don’t get any tattoos that can’t be covered by a suit[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Or better yet, by a tshirt and shorts. Anything that can’t be easily covered is an impediment of some sort, period.

We are often judged by how we look. Sorry, but true. Sure, once your foot is in the door, if you are a good employee, you’re good to go… But,
we live in a judgemental and class layered world. The % of CEO’s with tattoos is gonna be awfully low. Ok, maybe you don’t want
to be a CEO…the % of millionaires with tattoos is gonna be pretty low in comparison to the % living in subsidized housing… Sure
Snoop Dog and…the Rock have bucked this millionaire trend…but go a bit farther…the % of people earning over $250k US/year with
tattoos is gonna be much lower that the % for those earning less that $50k… it just is what it is… it either matters
to you or it doesn’t.

As was said above, if you care what others think, don’t get tat’s.

If you think you need a tattoo — why fool around?

Just have — “Shithead” — tattooed on your forehead — because that’s the first thought that pops into the minds of most responsible adults when they see some young punk with a tattoo.

Tattoos are NOT an advantage, at best they are something that responsible adults might reluctantly choose to overlook.

Dangggggg! Good thing I did not get anchors on the back of both hands with chains coiled up around each arm. Sounded really cool when I was in the Phillipeens drunk on shore leave. But a guy was ahead of me getting this really cool Liyger on his chest and puking all over so I decided against it.

You guys are ridiculous. On a daily basis how many people do you come in contact with that have tattoos? Lots I bet, and I also bet you don’t say shit, call them gay or stupid. Are they family members? Friends? Wife/girlfriend with a tramp stamp?

Opinions aside, the guy asked if he’s allowed to have visible tattoos (albeit after the fact but hey…). Answer the question, or don’t and move on.

I have a full sleeve in my left arm and it has not been a problem for me. I have also been with my company for almost 8 years and when I got hired my sleeve was not finished.

I am sure you understand that most people will judge you for the tattoos you already have or will get (if you didn’t you would not be asking if they are a problem). So my advise is to make sure that your tattoos are something you can be proud of and happy with! Because they WILL affect first impressions!!

Good Luck!!

Listen the most important thing to realize here is that you are asking about this after the fact. If you really had cared you probably would have considered this before getting these done. Whats done is done. Some people out there in HR do give a crap. If you are looking to stay in the commercial shipping sector odds are that no one will care. If you are going to be dealing with customers/clients/etc. then there is a chance that a prospective employer will view these tattoos in a negative light.
As my uncle always used to say “Measure twice, cut once”

I was just thinking about getting a picture of Paul Watson inked into my forehead… OP you can have all the tats you want and if they affect your job then so be it.

Uggh. Paul Watson. Your forehead. What an insult.

To your forehead!

You could get him on one butt cheek and a whale on the other than when you clinched they could kiss :slight_smile:

Would that mean when he sat down it would look like they were both grounded on a mud bank?