Please can any of you respectable veteran guys help me get started in the field?

Hi all my name is jay, Ive been looking at all these posts and many of you are so knowledgeable on the SIU, the school and the union that I wanted to post a question with hope that I get some good replies… I been a truck driver for a long time but now Ive been unemployed for a while, I have a child but do not have custody and am really looking to make a serious change… I’m a ww2 history buff and have had the utmost admiration and respect for those crews that hauled freight for the cause…I found the siu school in maryland and have gotten mixed reviews concerning the chance for continuous work. I’m 31 years old and frankly I need a career and a quick change, by quick I mean willing to give up time with my kid and hike it up to maryland and with it all the testing and other certifications needed. I’m just trying to set in my mind that wow this sounds like a great opportunity, free school and a job afterwords! I’m fighting to get in the railroad but have hit walls so I am willing to put the year sacrifice out there, get started and get out there to learn this trade. I dont mind being away but one, I dont live near a union hall as i’m in illinois, its a hike.2 I’d have a lot of distance from my kid(already do) but if I could seriously work continuously making this a career its an easy no brainer to me… I bust a*#, take pride in my work and have wanted to work on the water my entire life, need to get away(far away) from all the b/s and am hoping my daughter will understand someday. I just wanna get into this field as it seems to be lucrative so here I am getting info, asking the professionals and hoping for some brutal honesty…What can I expect from putting all the time away into the siu school in maryland and the chance of getting into a pretty much continuous rotation making good money. I have an excellent work ethic and when im at work im there to work, pull my weight and help the guys on my crew. I believe thats how you succeed so I dont care what kind of so called b/s jobs I have to go through or what kind of ship I work on I just want to make a good living… Will I be able to come back to illinois, be with my daughter and not have to worry n say dayum i gotta go back to the east coast and sit in a hall trying to get work when I have that precious time with my daughter… Career and money are one on my list, I couldn’t join the military because asthma is this huge taboo and whether I say its controlled or not i couldnt get in but with the merchant marine I feel with my capabilities as a professional cdl driver already that I could earn and pull my weight if given the chance…Basically these questions on this site are going to be what makes it or breaks it for me…Id like to go to this school, bust a#$, make enough to rent or buy on the east coast and carve a life for myself basically making a complete changeover from my current situation…Please please any thoughts, ideas or advice any of you could give me to make a good judgement call??? Is asthma a factor in SIU’S school entry evaluation? I’m really stoked about starting out and I dont want this to be the biggest bust of my life having sacrificed a year away just to not work n look foolish because family out here has no clue about working in a buisness like this…Basically I’d be putting a lot on the line and I’m asking will they take care of me once i’m done with school, im not in it to f the union n get free school just to go run somewhere else to work, when I give a commitment I give it and would like this to be my last stop n retire doing this…Any help would be greatly appreciated

Doesn’t sound as your situation would be good fit with SIU, and I wouldn’t really suggest that option to anyone unless they were young and foot loose. Still wouldn’t suggest it. If you have aCDL, go drive in NoDak and bank some cash. I know 2 guys making 6 figures humping ass to earn it. And 1 of them couldn’t drive for shit. Take your time, make some money and weigh ALL your options carefully. There are a lot of posts on here by guys like you. Do your searching and homework.

For God’s sake man, learn to use fewer words to make your point! And use paragraphs too! What you gave us was just a pile of words half of which had no bearing in what you were asking. Too much personal information for a public forum.

Further, deepsea merchant marine shipping in dying a slow and painful death and has been for over 40years. There is no secure future at all in it and the only bright area is in the offshore industry in the Gulf of Mexico or coastwise tug/barge trade. If you had been reading threads here you would know that already and being a non union environment, most of your concerns about going to a hall and sitting to wait for a ship are not germane. Read all the threads you can here about going to Louisiana to break into the offshore world before asking any more questions in this forum and when you do return, try to ask them in a easier to understand fashion without all the personal filler which just takes up space.

Lastly, I agree completely with RkyMtn Paul on going to North Dakota and staying the FUCK OFF SHIPS!

I also have to say something about you using the term “respectable” in the title to your thread. Why put that in there? Do you feel that there are members here who are not respectable and hence do not what to hear from them? Perhaps you consider me one of those because I am highly outspoken even though my commentary is based on more than 30 years in just about every sector of this bloody industry? I say that with only one post to your name, you have ZERO standing here and pretty much owe your respect to anyone who has even small degree of standing in this forum. An OS or wiper on a ship must respect all those above him whether he likes them or not because they have earned something he hasn’t yet. It is the same in the military…you salute the rank and not the person.

You say you are prepared to start at the bottom and do any of the BS jobs that need doing…are you prepared to be a quiet newb seaman and take orders from those above you when they give you a BS job to do? Something you need to ask yourself right now before you invest your career in this industry.

[QUOTE=c.captain;118484]For God’s sake man …[/QUOTE]

Hey, he asked for “respectable veteran guys” … if I knew one I would ask him to respond.

[QUOTE=c.captain;118484]For God’s sake man, learn to use fewer words to make your point! And use paragraphs too! What you gave us was just a pile of words half of which had no bearing in what you were asking. Too much personal information for a public forum.

[/QUOTE]
He lost me at “Hello, my name is”

[QUOTE=RichM;118496]He lost me at “Hello, my name is”[/QUOTE]

do you disremember this mouldy old one

//youtu.be/LztZu5s0-QU

“Now, you can call me Ray or you can call me Jay but you doesn’t has to call me Johnson!”

[QUOTE=towjunkie;118415]Hi all my name is jay, Ive been looking at all these posts and many of you are so knowledgeable on the SIU, the school and the union that I wanted to post a question with hope that I get some good replies… I been a truck driver for a long time but now Ive been unemployed for a while, I have a child but do not have custody and am really looking to make a serious change… I’m a ww2 history buff and have had the utmost admiration and respect for those crews that hauled freight for the cause…I found the siu school in maryland and have gotten mixed reviews concerning the chance for continuous work. I’m 31 years old and frankly I need a career and a quick change, by quick I mean willing to give up time with my kid and hike it up to maryland and with it all the testing and other certifications needed. I’m just trying to set in my mind that wow this sounds like a great opportunity, free school and a job afterwords! I’m fighting to get in the railroad but have hit walls so I am willing to put the year sacrifice out there, get started and get out there to learn this trade. I dont mind being away but one, I dont live near a union hall as i’m in illinois, its a hike.2 I’d have a lot of distance from my kid(already do) but if I could seriously work continuously making this a career its an easy no brainer to me… I bust a*#, take pride in my work and have wanted to work on the water my entire life, need to get away(far away) from all the b/s and am hoping my daughter will understand someday. I just wanna get into this field as it seems to be lucrative so here I am getting info, asking the professionals and hoping for some brutal honesty…What can I expect from putting all the time away into the siu school in maryland and the chance of getting into a pretty much continuous rotation making good money. I have an excellent work ethic and when im at work im there to work, pull my weight and help the guys on my crew. I believe thats how you succeed so I dont care what kind of so called b/s jobs I have to go through or what kind of ship I work on I just want to make a good living… Will I be able to come back to illinois, be with my daughter and not have to worry n say dayum i gotta go back to the east coast and sit in a hall trying to get work when I have that precious time with my daughter… Career and money are one on my list, I couldn’t join the military because asthma is this huge taboo and whether I say its controlled or not i couldnt get in but with the merchant marine I feel with my capabilities as a professional cdl driver already that I could earn and pull my weight if given the chance…Basically these questions on this site are going to be what makes it or breaks it for me…Id like to go to this school, bust a#$, make enough to rent or buy on the east coast and carve a life for myself basically making a complete changeover from my current situation…Please please any thoughts, ideas or advice any of you could give me to make a good judgement call??? Is asthma a factor in SIU’S school entry evaluation? I’m really stoked about starting out and I dont want this to be the biggest bust of my life having sacrificed a year away just to not work n look foolish because family out here has no clue about working in a buisness like this…Basically I’d be putting a lot on the line and I’m asking will they take care of me once i’m done with school, im not in it to f the union n get free school just to go run somewhere else to work, when I give a commitment I give it and would like this to be my last stop n retire doing this…Any help would be greatly appreciated[/QUOTE]

You say your an unemployed trucker? Every trucking company in the country is hiring. What ever is keeping you from working in that industry will definitely keep you out of this one too. Good luck, but don’t come to the gulf.

jay, b.j. mckay, whatever…

at your age you’d be better of just selling you chimp “Bear” to the SPCA for medical testing than wasting your time getting merchant marine papers anywhere.

N. Dakota is certainly not a bad option, but then neither is being a roughneck or roustabout offshore at almost $75K (with the top offshore drillers annually) for an entry level slot with limitless possibilities for promotion with out having to deal with any USCG b.s.

if you don’t have a TWIC card or (much worse) don’t know what one is you risk Gcaptain sending out the designated SPECOPS 2 man team of that grouchy old fishing boat captain from JAWS and the most backwards member of the squidbillies to serve you your just desserts.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;118527]if you don’t have a TWIC card or (much worse) don’t know what one is you risk Gcaptain sending out the designated SPECOPS 2 man team of that grouchy old fishing boat captain from JAWS and the most backwards member of the squidbillies to serve you your just desserts.[/QUOTE]

come in Fraq, the commissioner just called on the SaltPhone. I’ll warm up the command and stealth mobiles and load the ammo. You ready to roll?

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;118527]jay, b.j. mckay, whatever…

at your age you’d be better of just selling you chimp “Bear” to the SPCA for medical testing than wasting your time getting merchant marine papers anywhere.[/QUOTE]

and to think there was a time in America when the longhaul trucker was considered the new breed of cowboy

remember the CW McCall song “Convoy”?

It was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June
And a Kenworth pullin’ logs
Cab-over Pete with a reefer on
And a Jimmy haulin’ hogs
We’s headin’ for bear on Eye-one-O
'bout a mile outta Shakeytown
I says “Pigpen, this here’s Rubber Duck”
“And I’m about to put the hammer down”

of course there were the famous Smokey and the Bandit movies with Burt Reynolds, Jerry Reed, Sally Field and the late great Jackie Gleason!

dammit…speaking of people without any respectability whatsoever, where’s OICUR12 when you need him and his idiotic stories the most?

I’m alway lurking, locked and loaded…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;118534]I’m alway lurking, locked and loaded…[/QUOTE]

YOU’RE a DAMNED GOOD MAN FRAQ! ALWAYS CAN COUNT ON YOU FOR THE DIRTIEST MISSIONS!

i don’t remember the song, but i do remember the awesome movie with kris kristofferson, ernest borgnine, and that smokin hot latino babe ali mcgraw.

there was a time when i thought “Convoy” had that most incredible bar fight scene ever… oh how times have changed.

I got a better idea. Learn these four things:

1 TWIC.

1. MMC.

2. USCG 719-K.

3. I-10 Louisiana from NO to Morgan City.

Once you have 1, 2 and 3. go for a flight to NOLA. Rent a car. Drive west on I-10 and stop at each and every boat marine and tug business you see. You will get a job sooner or later. It may not be the ‘ideal’ job. BUT it will get your foot in the door. Try it before you buy it. It will cost you about 500 bucks to do 1,2 and 3. Spend a little, to see if you even WANT to do this for a living. I have worked with WAY too many people who are quickly disillusioned and run away.

But then, when I read all the responses it makes me wonder why you missed the employment section, with thousands of posts on EXACTLY this topic.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;118547]i don’t remember the song, but i do remember the awesome movie with kris kristofferson, ernest borgnine, and that smokin hot latino babe ali mcgraw.

there was a time when i thought “Convoy” had that most incredible bar fight scene ever… oh how times have changed.[/QUOTE]

Amazing because I never knew there was a movie especially since it has my man Ernie B. in it playing a character named “Dirty Lyle” Got to download that one soon!

Anyway, this is the song that spurred a whole slug of movies, tv shows and sales of CB radios.

//youtu.be/NwnZ5uiiWDc

In the mid 70’s truckers were somehow on the top of the American cultural food chain! Go figure but DAMNED I wish we were back there today! I loved the 70’s and miss them BIG TIME!

Great thread guys let’s hear it for the Respectable Veterans.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;118547]

i don’t remember the song, but i do remember the awesome movie with kris kristofferson, ernest borgnine, and that smokin hot latino babe ali mcgraw.

there was a time when i thought “Convoy” had that most incredible bar fight scene ever… oh how times have changed.[/QUOTE]

Don’t rember the song? That’s easy to take care of… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJEeHND_lQ

[QUOTE=cappy208;118548]I got a better idea. Learn these four things:

1 TWIC.

1. MMC.

2. USCG 719-K.

3. I-10 Louisiana from NO to Morgan City.

Once you have 1, 2 and 3. go for a flight to NOLA. Rent a car. Drive west on I-10 and stop at each and every boat marine and tug business you see. You will get a job sooner or later. It may not be the ‘ideal’ job. BUT it will get your foot in the door. Try it before you buy it. It will cost you about 500 bucks to do 1,2 and 3. Spend a little, to see if you even WANT to do this for a living. I have worked with WAY too many people who are quickly disillusioned and run away.

But then, when I read all the responses it makes me wonder why you missed the employment section, with thousands of posts on EXACTLY this topic.[/QUOTE]

US 90 would be better than I10. Just sayin’.

Cain’t get Po-Boys and all you can eat Boofait for 6.99 on I 90 though!! Never mind Crawfish and Bud while you’re lookin for work