Please can any of you respectable veteran guys help me get started in the field?

[QUOTE=c.captain;118484]For God’s sake man, learn to use fewer words to make your point! And use paragraphs too! What you gave us was just a pile of words …[/QUOTE]

At least it wasn’t in all caps starting with some meaningless secret address codes with no breaks before the stuff you’re supposed to read. If it was it would look like one of those impossible to read Coast Guard “ALCOAST” (I prefer to call them “ALCAPS”) or Navy messages.

There’s always I-5.

Leaving Portland in less than an hour! What a hitch.

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;118568]Great thread guys let’s hear it for the Respectable Veterans.[/QUOTE]

you know there is a certain camaraderie and affinity between a long haul truck driver and a professional mariner…guess we just end up doing comparable jobs just in different physical environments. Can’t say the same about airplane pilots unless maybe they’re up in the bush or something. A bunch of stuffed shirt Prima Donas they are! Interesting tho how ship and airline pilots have the same superiority complexes with personalities to match.

[QUOTE=c.captain;118486]I also have to say something about you using the term “respectable” in the title to your thread. Why put that in there? Do you feel that there are members here who are not respectable and hence do not what to hear from them? Perhaps you consider me one of those because I am highly outspoken even though my commentary is based on more than 30 years in just about every sector of this bloody industry? I say that with only one post to your name, you have ZERO standing here and pretty much owe your respect to anyone who has even small degree of standing in this forum. An OS or wiper on a ship must respect all those above him whether he likes them or not because they have earned something he hasn’t yet. It is the same in the military…you salute the rank and not the person.

You say you are prepared to start at the bottom and do any of the BS jobs that need doing…are you prepared to be a quiet newb seaman and take orders from those above you when they give you a BS job to do? Something you need to ask yourself right now before you invest your career in this industry.[/QUOTE]

Wow ahab I was being polite, to all respectable or being respectable to all…You really did put a lot of misinterrpretation in that rather KINDLY reponse… I really dont care that I have as you say ZERO standing because well considering this was my first and probably last post thats rather obvious…Maybe I gave a personal history because I wanted to put myself out there in the forum or show my interest in working on the water… Id like a change of pace and I dont owe YOU squat, I mean I’d owe you a thank you if you like gave me information rather than troll through my post and interpret everything you didn’t like as an insult…I give respect to everyone and I was extending my repect to all of those in the industry…Newb jesus anyone who uses that term is high on themselves especially when I signed on this forum because it sounded like a group of cool guys willing to give out some info not be complete scumbags(all those giving info n not insulting me because I didn’t use paragraphs, excluded) douche I swear to god WW2 vets that have seen there buddys heads get blown off have more consideration than you…respect haa I worked my ass off my entire life and do not need to be belittled by someone like you…Thanks sir or I mean aye aye ur highness