Piping Testing

Hello. Does anyone know whether there is any regulation which stipulates “the time when you have to make pressure test of COW, IG, Ballast and Fire Lines onboard”. Thks

Google USCG cargo piping test interval (there is a policy letter about this)

Google ABS (or any other class) rules

Thks a lot Steamer

Dear Steamer, I have just check USCG, but unfortunately they mention only for “cargo pipes”, not for IG, COW, Foam and ballast. Do you have any info for the above mentioned pls? Thks.

[QUOTE=Capt Sparrow;59823]Dear Steamer, I have just check USCG, but unfortunately they mention only for “cargo pipes”, not for IG, COW, Foam and ballast. Do you have any info for the above mentioned pls? Thks.[/QUOTE]

Been a long time since I’ve been around the ship board AFFF/fire system testing, but the manufacturer should be able to put you in direction.

I was really surprised when (after hours of checking) noticed that there is not any specific regulation for “piping system pressure test interval”, apart from “cargo lines annual pressure testing”. If anyone knows, pleased to hear.

Go to Class. Unless the CG has a particular interest in a system or believes that Class rules are not adequate, those tests are performed during annual periodic and special surveys. If a CG inspector sees something that bothers him, you might end up having to perform a test very soon regardless of any other documentation.

For some items the CFRs will “incorporate” manufacturer’s recommendations “by reference.”

Google, and your friendly class surveyor is your best bet to get your specific questions answered. The CG MSO might be able to help and a good grasp of the CFRs and CG vocabulary will also go a long ways.

We test our piping once a year as part of an NS5 work order. We also stencil date tested on the pipes. So far that seem to satisfy CG and ABS

Thks. That includes COW, IG and MARPOL lines?

[QUOTE=Capt Sparrow;59856]Thks. That includes COW, IG and MARPOL lines?[/QUOTE]

Jeez man, are you going to spend your whole career only knowing what you were told in response to a single question?

How about getting into the books and regs rather than asking other people to do your homework. The stuff you learn on the road to the answer is what separates the pros from the riders.

Hey amigo, seems that you increased yr RPM without any reason and the overheating is very close. No one pressed you to do or to answer anything, thus put yr engine to dead slow before a crash astern comes.

Ooh ooh, such salty talk, what a sailor.

Now go do your homework like a nice little deckhand.

I have better things to do than to waste my time with a cleaner of min level of intelligent. That’s my last msg for you dinky cleaner.- (all yr msgs are auto-deleted)

Does this help:

http://shipsbusiness.com/tanker-equipment-and-machinery.html

I was Chief Engineer aboard the SS Riverhead Spirit, believe me all these tests take some time if all are done properly.