Fire hose testing

Not looking for CFR specifications. Can anyone briefly describe just how you conducted your hydrostatic test on fire hoses? What type of hose tester did you use and what problems were encountered. My goal is process improvement so there are no wrong answers.

Use the ship’s fire pump, bleed the air out and then close the nozzle.

Works a treat.

[QUOTE=Slacker;111313]Not looking for CFR specifications. Can anyone briefly describe just how you conducted your hydrostatic test on fire hoses? What type of hose tester did you use and what problems were encountered. You can answer here or
at ImpBeachSteve@gmail.com. My goal is process improvement so there are no wrong answers.[/QUOTE]

We do 1/4 of our firehoses every quarter, otherwise it’s just too big a job for the men on duty.

We conduct the test by connecting all the hoses together on the main deck then attaching a pressure gauge to the last hose then connect a nozzle. We then connect the first hose up to the ship’s main, bleed the air then close the nozzle and record the pressure… We video tape the performance as proof and label each hose with the date.

[QUOTE=Slacker;111313]Not looking for CFR specifications. Can anyone briefly describe just how you conducted your hydrostatic test on fire hoses? What type of hose tester did you use and what problems were encountered. My goal is process improvement so there are no wrong answers.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=+A465B;111325]Use the ship’s fire pump, bleed the air out and then close the nozzle.

Works a treat.[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a former class surveyor.

[QUOTE=DeadQuarters;111484][/QUOTE]

I ask how to hydro hoses and you give me a trombone lesson. You must work in Louisiana.

Don’t the tests have to be at a pressure greater than the maximum pressure of your system? Something i should look up I guess.