Emergency Fire Pump

Hello,

Looking for anybody who knows how to start the emergency fire pump on board a ship. I am guessing they are slightly different but still the same procedures.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is the fire out yet?

Give use details of the pump and we might be able to help. I suppose you’re going to want to make sure the bleeder valve on the fire main is open, line up the pump, energize the pump, and put out the fire. Just like any other pump, just with a fancier name.

Hit the remote button in the bridge or start locally in the ER. It should be as simple as that. Both are the same except the emergency fire pump runs off the emergency bus during loss of power. Both pressures should be recorded during fire drills and pumps should be primed and ready to go at all times…
If you don’t get sea water by simple pulling out a fire hose and hitting a remote button, it’s a shit system and not safe.

…it should be noted that light ship/rough weather conditions can cause air to get into sea chest intakes. A good Chief will constantly bleed this air during ER rounds.

I’ve got a question…is it a diesel rather than electrically driven pump?

I would have thought that to be specified (if it was not electric), but the same applies except manual cranking is permitted “if” the diesel engine is capable of being readily started in its cold condition down to 0°C. I think the requirement is the ability to start 6 times in 30 minutes and twice in the first 10 minutes if automatically started by other means.

No reply from the OP- hope he’s OK:o

Thank you all for your quick replies. It really has helped.

I can safely say, the fire is now out. :slight_smile:

Cheers again!

…it should be noted that light ship/rough weather conditions can cause air to get into sea chest intakes. A good Chief will constantly bleed this air during ER rounds.[/quote]

A good naval Architect will design a sea chest that self vents…