Pictures of Ships, Tugs, Off Shore Rigs, Barges, and those who work them

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;82779]Straight out of something Joseph Conrad might have written.[/QUOTE]

It was a pretty surreal experience. Our next scheduled port was Kaohsiung, but Carter had just recognized the PRC, and those wily Nationalists on Taiwan were none too happy with Americans at that time, followed by stops in Kobe and Yokohama. We were ultimatey told that we faced likey arrest in either Japanese ports by some creditors. Honolulu was the first US port on the schedule, so we started heading east. After a couple of days, we were told that Hono was out, and that we would be heading straight for San Franciso. We had lots of Hawaiian crew members and they had quite a bit of personal stuff that they didn’t want to haul home, so they sold quite a bit of it to others on the ship. Of course, a couple of days later, Hono was back in the schedule. A few cutthroats raised the resale price. All in all, a VERY interesting trip. Of course I didn’t really mind the two week stay in Manila, either.

. [QUOTE=cmakin;82814] All in all, a VERY interesting trip. Of course I didn’t really mind the two week stay in Manila, either.[/QUOTE]

Oh you didn’t do THAT did you - oh - you did, you did … So did I. :wink:
You rascal you

[QUOTE=cmakin;82772]In 1987/1988, I did a “side job” during my time off onboard the SEAVIEW as a project engineer. It was a Bollinger Utility boat that was used as a “Research” vessel. We added a diving compressor, “Fisher Nozzles”, a deck crane and a few other goodies. It was chartered by the Mobius Society, headed by Stephan Schwartz. Not sure if he was a con man or not, but he DID live in that psychic fringe and did get the attention of a lot of folks with money. In this project, they were looking for sunken treasure using “remote viewing” (psychics). Of course we had a magnetometer, too. Lots of real suspicious con men were also involved, the type that hang around the marinas in South Florida putting bigger and bigger engines into smaller boats. . . . . Interstingly, one of the remote viewers was Michael Crichton. We set out to search for two Spanish caravels, but didn’t conclusively locate them. We did locate an American Brig, the LEANDER. Interestingly, Schwartz wrote a paper about how successful we were in locating the Brig, yet left out the bit about looking for Spanish treasure. Of course the treasure story could have been the come on to get investors. It doesn’t matter, the project was shut down after a few months with out any real profitable findings. I can say that it was VERY interesting and quite a diverse group onboard. The Captain was a Maine grad that I sailed with for years and the other engineer was one of those barefoot engineers that work or used to work in the oil patch. Last I saw of him, he was Captain on a Tidewater boat some 18 years ago. One of the most interesting folks that I did meet onboard was the late Peter Throckmorton. Peter was an early pioneer of marine archeology. He was onboard to give some legitimacy to our project. I was in for 50 bucks a day and 1/2 of 1% of any findings. I was told that there was the potential for several billion dollars. I am glad I did it. Crappy picture, though.

Sea View1 by cmakin, on Flickr[/QUOTE]
I seem to remember these guys at the Bananna Dock in Tampa back in the '80s. There was a “donation lock box” at the gangway. anyone could invest in a share of the treasure.

[QUOTE=injunear;82818]I seem to remember these guys at the Bananna Dock in Tampa back in the '80s. There was a “donation lock box” at the gangway. anyone could invest in a share of the treasure.[/QUOTE]

That was probably after the use on the Bahamian project. I don’t really know what happened to the boat or the equipment that was installed on it after it left the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. We used both Port Dania and Miami as operating bases. The picture (obviously) was taken in Miami, near the Belcher tug docks. Other than the lack of a decent mooring system, it made a pretty handy dive/excavation boat. Typical for a Utility Boat, however, was the split bus electrical system, so generators could not be run in parallel. Of course there are a lot of smaller vessels in the “treasure” trade. I had no idea until I got involved in this project.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;82817].

Oh you didn’t do THAT did you - oh - you did, you did … So did I. :wink:
You rascal you[/QUOTE]

Is “butterfly” a bad thing?

An FPSO conversion that I did when I was with ABS. All topsides of the port production train were installed at the Bechtel yard in Galveston (the old Todd Shipyards) along with some pretty significant steel renewals in the ballast tanks. The FPSO sailed to Portugal for drydocking, more repairs and all of the underwater installations needed for completion. I do believe that the Unit is still in operation in Equatorial Guinea. I know that they did an addtional production train while on location. I managed to get this picture because on the same day it left Galveston, I had to go to the Bolivar Roads anchorage to carry out a damage survey. It timed just right. On my way back in, the Unit sailed.

Scan10003 by cmakin, on Flickr

The main engine of the FPSO.

Scan10005 by cmakin, on Flickr

[QUOTE=cmakin;82772]In 1987/1988, I did a “side job” during my time off onboard the SEAVIEW as a project engineer. It was a Bollinger Utility boat that was used as a “Research” vessel. We added a diving compressor, “Fisher Nozzles”, a deck crane and a few other goodies. It was chartered by the Mobius Society, headed by Stephan Schwartz. Not sure if he was a con man or not, but he DID live in that psychic fringe and did get the attention of a lot of folks with money. In this project, they were looking for sunken treasure using “remote viewing” (psychics). Of course we had a magnetometer, too. Lots of real suspicious con men were also involved, the type that hang around the marinas in South Florida putting bigger and bigger engines into smaller boats. . . . . Interstingly, one of the remote viewers was Michael Crichton. We set out to search for two Spanish caravels, but didn’t conclusively locate them. We did locate an American Brig, the LEANDER. Interestingly, Schwartz wrote a paper about how successful we were in locating the Brig, yet left out the bit about looking for Spanish treasure. Of course the treasure story could have been the come on to get investors. It doesn’t matter, the project was shut down after a few months with out any real profitable findings. I can say that it was VERY interesting and quite a diverse group onboard. The Captain was a Maine grad that I sailed with for years and the other engineer was one of those barefoot engineers that work or used to work in the oil patch. Last I saw of him, he was Captain on a Tidewater boat some 18 years ago. One of the most interesting folks that I did meet onboard was the late Peter Throckmorton. Peter was an early pioneer of marine archeology. He was onboard to give some legitimacy to our project. I was in for 50 bucks a day and 1/2 of 1% of any findings. I was told that there was the potential for several billion dollars. I am glad I did it. Crappy picture, though.

Sea View1 by cmakin, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

No way, the picture is fine.
Looks like I’d fit right in with that crew.
Neat story

Is that a Colt-Pielstick?

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;82841]Is that a Colt-Pielstick?[/QUOTE]

That or a Caterpillar. . . …

If memory serves, it was a B&W.

[QUOTE=cmakin;82823]Is “butterfly” a bad thing?[/QUOTE]

Certainly not in the world we use to romp around.

Can you help me? What’s your name? “My name’s Roosevelt E. Roosevelt.” Roosevelt, what town are you stationed in?. “I’m stationed in Poontang.” Well, thank you, Roosevelt. What’s the weather like out there? “It’s hot. Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it. A little crotch pot cooking.” Well, can you tell me what it feels like. “Fool, it’s hot! I told you again! Were you born on the sun? It’s damn hot! I saw - It’s so damn hot, I saw little guys, their orange robes burst into flames. It’s that hot! Do you know what I’m talking about.” What do you think it’s going to be like tonight? “It’s gonna be hot and wet! That’s nice if you’re with a lady, but it ain’t no good if you’re in the jungle.” Thank you, Roosevelt. Here’s a song coming your way right now. “Nowhere To Run To” by Martha and the Vandellas. Yes! Hey, you know what I mean! Too much?

R/V Miller Freeman built by American Shipbuilding in Ohio 1964. Suprisingly seaworthy vessel that spent 40 years bouncing around the GOA and Bering sea. I spent almost 8 years on this ship, started as Ordinary Seaman and worked up to Bosun. Dutch Harbor and Kodiak were the ships two main ports. Not a lot going on in either but we made the best of it.

[QUOTE=cmakin;82842]That or a Caterpillar. . . …

If memory serves, it was a B&W.[/QUOTE]

It looks filthy enough to be a Colt Stick…:wink:

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;82846]It looks filthy enough to be a Colt Stick…;)[/QUOTE]

Yellow and dirty, it could be a Cat, too.

Here are a couple more taken on the production deck.

Scan10002 by cmakin, on Flickr

Scan10001 by cmakin, on Flickr

The PRESIDENT EISENHOWER in Naha.

Scan10016 by cmakin, on Flickr

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;82844]R/V Miller Freeman built by American Shipbuilding in Ohio 1964. Suprisingly seaworthy vessel that spent 40 years bouncing around the GOA and Bering sea. I spent almost 8 years on this ship, started as Ordinary Seaman and worked up to Bosun. Dutch Harbor and Kodiak were the ships two main ports. Not a lot going on in either but we made the best of it.

[/QUOTE]

EXCELLENT shots, bloody, Thanks
That some ice build-up !!

Pictures of one of my favorite ships, the SS [I]Lion of California[/I]. Everybody had to work with their hands, even the Captain and Chief, I know, I was the Chief.
Here are three pictures of her. The first is her steaming down the Columbia, the last two were taken at the Martinez Tosco dock (before the disastrous refinery explosion).

The LETITIA LYKES docking in Kobe in 1979.

Scan10048 by cmakin, on Flickr

I was down in Trinidad working on a claim for a jack up rig. Just so happened at the time I was there, the CAJUN EXPRESS stopped in during its delivery trip from Korea to the US Gulf. Even though classed as a self propelled rig, notice the big ass tugboat towing it. Shot taken in the waters near Chaguramas, Trinidad back in 2000.

Cajun Express by cmakin, on Flickr

One last steamship for the day. The CHEMICAL PIONEER coming into Texas City back in 2006. Quite an interesting history for this one.

DSC_0005 by cmakin, on Flickr