Pay scale, Engineering

Please post current pay, license and company to help us all be better informed.

Towing company, West Coast, DDE: Aproximately $500
Towing company, West Coast, Unlicensed: Approximately $400 (PIC required)
Towing company, West Coast, T-Man PIC: Approximately $500
Towing company, West Coast, Mates: Approximately $500 and Captains around the $600

Thank you for your help.

Need to include ranks as well. Minimum 3AE wages are about $500 a day with vacation and OT. 2AE around $600 a day. 1 AE about $750-$800 sometimes more. Chiefs are in the area of $800-$900 without OT.These are for tankers I have worked. Pay is even higher for the box boats. These are unlimited engineers and counterpart mates

1 Like

I am afraid you are not going to get the information you need unless you request an average monthly pay or an annual pay . A lot of people on this forum do not understand vacation pay and over time. Many are paid only for the days they work and nothing for their days off. They also don’t understand pension payments which is deferred income.
Need to compare apples to apples.
Good luck with your survey.

Thanks “Marine Engineer”, helpful info.

“tengineer” day rate helps set a baseline. Some people sail 1 for 1 and some sale 2 for 1 etc. therefore an annual or monthly average may not be what we’re looking for. Benifit packages change constantly health, dental, eyes, 401K contributions, vacation pay, etc. I can see how a company with ATO and overtime would throw the day rate off but I’m sure us engineers can help eachother by providing a base day rate pay and maybe throw in some of the other perks if they feel it’s worthy. Do you have a day rate at this time? Your info would be much appreciated. Safe sailing to you guys.

These are the day rates I have seen in various employment ads or people I have talked to over the last year or so

“unlicensed engineer” with SEACOR towing - $250
Signet Maritime in Pascagoula - $300 (on call day job)
NY tow companies - $400-500
Mid Atlantic tow companies - $300-500
ARTCO - High $480ish

It all starts with the day rate. The rest is important for choosing one specific job over another but a bit much detail for general information like here.

1 Like

US hopper Dredge
Unlimited Chief: $582/day
1AE: $541/day
2AE: $530/day
3AE $524/day
QMED: $402/day

Even time rotation, paid travel days, full benifits.

1 Like

Wow! Not impressive at all for unlimited license. Scratch dredge work off then list…looks like I’ll stick with the oil field.

1 Like

[QUOTE=dirwood;65809]US hopper Dredge
3AE $524/day

Even time rotation, paid travel days, full benifits.[/QUOTE]
Surely that’s plus overtime?

Injunear,

The days rates given are for a twelve hour day, you would be lucky if you got 10-20hrs of overtime a YEAR.

[QUOTE=dirwood;65809]US hopper Dredge
3AE $524/day

Even time rotation, paid travel days, full benifits.[/QUOTE]

Those 3AE rates are not too far off tanker rates, but the CE and 1 AE rates are horrible. Especially for a 12 hour day

1 Like

[QUOTE=brjones;65855]Those 3AE rates are not too far off tanker rates, but the CE and 1 AE rates are horrible. Especially for a 12 hour day[/QUOTE]
And you earn your money on a dredge…

There is definitely not a lot of difference between grades, very hard to entice people to move up, QMED pay is great but as noted it drops off quickly as your work your way up.

Factory Trawler (Bearing sea)
Uninspected fishing vessel

AE: New hire 550, after 6 years with raises I’m at 670 a day
Chief: New hire 850, when I fill in as chief when he rotates out I get 50% raise so 1005 a day

Good insurance
10% bonus at end of year
Full day rate for travel
No scheduled rotation, we make our own.
Anywhere from 150 to 230 days at sea per year.

1 Like

Factory Trawler (bearing sea)
Uninspected Chief & AE

AE new hire 550 a day
Chief new hire 800 a day

After 6 years as AE with raises I’m at 670 a day. When I fill in for the chief I get 1003 a day

Good insurance
10% bonus at end of year
Day rate for travel but air fare only paid from Seattle to Dutch harbor and back.

1 Like

Unispected AE & Chief

AE new hire $550 a day
Chief new hire $800 a day

3% annual raise
10% annual bonus
Good insurance
Day rate fro travel days but air fare only paid from Seattle to Dutch harbor
No scheduled rotation, we make our own. Required to work 150 days at sea.

After 6 years with the company I’m at $670 a day as AE and $1003 a day when I sail as chief

1 Like

Unispected AE & Chief

AE new hire $550
Chief new hire $800

After 6 years with company I’m at $670 a day as AE and when I fill in for the chief its $1003 a day

Annual 3% raise
10% annual bonus
Good insurance
Day rate for travel days but air fare only paid from Seattle to Dutch harbor and back.

1 Like

which is deferred income.

Not much on Gulf OSV’s and Foreign work posted :frowning:

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;93435]Not much on Gulf OSV’s and Foreign work posted :([/QUOTE]

1 A/E

Overseas (West Africa) Drillship
$162,000 usd/yr.

C/E

$240,000 usd/yr

• yearly bonus
  • retention bonus
1 Like

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;93446]1 A/E

$162,000 usd/yr.