Path to Third Mate Unlimited

I’m interested in getting my third mate unlimited license. I plan on going to a maritime academy for this. On the USCG requirement sheet, it says I need 1,080 days at sea before i can take the exam. The curriculum at the maritime academy says I need 180 days at sea to sit for the exam. Does the 3 years at a maritime academy count toward the 1,080 sea time? I know the 180 days is for deck experience. Thanks.

See 46 CFR 11.407(a)(2)(iv).

§11.407 Service requirements for third mate of ocean or near-coastal self-propelled vessels of unlimited tonnage.

(a) The minimum service or training required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as third mate of ocean or near-coastal self-propelled vessels of unlimited tonnage is—

(1) Three years of service in the deck department on ocean self-propelled vessels, with a minimum of 6 months of bridge watchkeeping duties under the supervision of the master or a qualified officer. Experience gained in the engine department on vessels of appropriate tonnage may be creditable for up to 3 months of the service requirements for this officer endorsement;

(2) Graduation from—

(i) The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (deck curriculum);

(ii) The U.S. Coast Guard Academy with qualification as an underway officer in charge of a navigational watch, underway officer of the deck, or deck watch officer;

(iii) The U.S. Naval Academy with qualification as an underway officer in charge of a navigational watch, underway officer of the deck or deck watch officer; or

(iv) The deck class of a maritime academy approved by and conducted under rules prescribed by the Maritime Administrator and listed in part 310 of this title, including the ocean option program in the deck class of the Great Lakes Maritime Academy; or

(3) Satisfactory completion of a comprehensive apprentice mate training program approved by the Coast Guard.

1 Like

Different paths. If you go to a maritime academy it is all taken care of.

1 Like

Like new3m said with the academy its all taken care of, no need to post about sea time requirements. Just be prepared to be humble and to learn as much as possible, and to immediately forget where you come from. A good bosun is your new best friend. I wouldn’t recommend hawespiping unless you’re already in too deep as AB with all of the sea time. Also be prepared to have some employment gaps as a junior officer until you move into senior positions. You’ll need to shop around to different types of ships/boats to see where you fit in best. If you’re good you’ll never have a hard time keeping work. Good luck