How much sea time is does one have after graduating from an Academy?

Not sure of the way sea time is calculated upon graduation from an academy.

One of the CFR requirements for 3rd mate is 3 years total service on vessels, would this mean that upon graduation from an academy, one has acquired 3 years of total service on vessels?

Does anyone know exactly how much sea time is accumulated upon graduation from an Academy?

Thanks…

I think it’s 360 days for deck, less for engine. They calculate sea time all sorts of weird ways from the academies - they count watches you stand at school, some of the classes you take, plus time and a half seatime while they’re on the ship.

At GLMA you need 276 days underway to graduate. Also, the sea time is as a cadet observer and only good for getting a license if enrolled in a MARAD training program, ie. Maritime Academy. Those days are built into your program. Academies are all or nothing

[QUOTE=TugLife;28840]Not sure of the way sea time is calculated upon graduation from an academy.

One of the CFR requirements for 3rd mate is 3 years total service on vessels, would this mean that upon graduation from an academy, one has acquired 3 years of total service on vessels?

Does anyone know exactly how much sea time is accumulated upon graduation from an Academy?

Thanks…[/QUOTE]

Actually, for a 3rd Mate, it is 3 years [B]OR[/B] graduation from a maritime academy.

So, if you are wondering how much time you need to get a 2nd Mate, you are in line with everyone else:

§ 11.406 Service requirements for second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons.

The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons is:

(a) [B]One year of service as officer in charge of a navigational watch on ocean steam or motor vessels while holding a license or endorsement as third mate[/B]; or,

(b) While holding a license or MMC endorsement as third mate of ocean steam or motor vessels of any gross tons, 12 months of service on deck as follows:

(1) A minimum of six months service as officer in charge of a deck watch on ocean steam or motor vessels; in combination with,

(2) Service on ocean steam or motor vessels as boatswain, able seaman, or quartermaster while holding a certificate or MMC endorsement as able seaman, which may be accepted on a two-for-one basis to a maximum allowable substitution of six months (12 months of experience equals 6 months of creditable service); or,

© An individual holding an endorsement or license as master of Great Lakes and inland steam or motor vessels of any gross tons or master of inland steam or motor vessels of any gross tons, may obtain an endorsement as second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons by completing the prescribed examination in subpart I of this part.

Thanks for the responses. I am actually going for my 500T Master not 2nd.

Please see my new thread for further explanation of my problem.