3M Unlimited (AGT) to 1600T Master

The title is a bit of a farse, because there is no easy move from one to the other. But here’s my experience doing it so far.

This applies to you if you’re a 4 year maritime academy grad with 3M Unlimited and all the crap that goes along with it.

I’ve been working on a tug and we stand 6x6 watches, so I stand 12 hours of watch per day. These days count as 1.5 days when counting sea time.

As it turned out, I was short on days in my seatime letter. My company had me embarked as a TRAINEE 2ND MATE for a lot of days. None of that time counted towards this licsene application. ONLY time as a 2M.

here’s a quote from the letter I got back:

Sea Service Form (CG719S) or Equivalent-
To qualify for Master 1600 Oceans, An academy Third Mate applies for Master 1600 GRT,
the CPR requires 1,440 days total service. You may qualify based on the Marine Safety
Manuel (MSM) by submitting 360 days as a licensed Master/Mate, your academy training
covers the remaining 1,080 days including 180 days as an AB. Howeyer the remaining 360
days must have been as master/mate on vessels over 100 GRT, and half the service must be
on Oceans/Near Coastal.

The last sentence is for applying for an Oceans 1600T Master. I decided to go for an 1600T Inland Master, as the majority of my sea time has been Inland time.

So, to wrap up, after graduating, you need an additional 240 days (of 6x6 watches) to apply for a 1600T Master.

If you’re going for an Ocean Master, 120 days of Ocean/Near Coastal + 120 days of Inland (or better).

Post questions in this sub-forum. There are also some very helpful, professional folks that cruise these forums. It’s the best resource I’ve been able to find.

Can you still do 360 as a 3rd then apply for your 2nd Mate and take the short 1600 master exam?

Yes and that’s how most people go about it.

360 days is for a 8 hour watch. 240 would be a 12 hour watch.

More information right from the NMC.

Time accrued at the maritime academy cannot be used towards a 1600T Inland. For an inland license, the applicant would have to provide the full 1440 days.

Time accrued at the maritime academy does count towards a 1600T Ocean license. Only time on Near Coastal vessels counts towards that time.

I know that sounds ridiculous, but I spoke with the actual lady at NMC who was the licensing evaluator. She said she checked with her co-workers to double check and they all confirmed that Academy time can’t be used for an Inland license. Crazy!

Here’s the additional information she provided:

Marine Safety Manual (MSM), volume 3 chapter 10 “Licenses deck/engineers - Credit for Academy Grad” Chapter 10 > B6 Creditable Sea Service. Bottom of page, 10-3. She said “I’m very certain. It sounds crazy, but that’s the way it is.”
Literally her words.

[QUOTE=mrdrew;139132]More information right from the NMC.

Time accrued at the maritime academy [U]cannot be used[/U] towards a 1600T Inland. For an inland license, the applicant would have to provide the full 1440 days.

Time accrued at the maritime academy [U]does [/U]count towards a 1600T Ocean license. Only time on Near Coastal vessels counts towards that time.

I know that sounds ridiculous, but I spoke with the actual lady at NMC who was the licensing evaluator. She said she checked with her co-workers to double check and they all confirmed that Academy time can’t be used for an Inland license. Crazy!

Here’s the additional information she provided:
Literally her words.[/QUOTE]

I do not believe that. Either the evaluator did not understand the question or you did not understand the answer.

Interested to see what comes out of this thread. I have noticed that a INLAND on GL AGT master can go straight to UNLIMTED AGT Master. Maybe that is why they are saying what you posted.

Doesnt a 3rd mate unlimited oceans superseded an inland unlimited mate ?

Somewhere it says that a oceans license also covers NC/inland, and a NC license also covers inland. I can’t say exactly where but know I have read it. Obviously the same scope would apply (3rd mate to 3rd mate). No sure if they say “supersede” as much as it means you can sail on those waters.

This is because the maritime academy thing is a specific program approved by the CG that requires sea time be acquired in a certain way for a certain license via the “program.” If its easier to bypass a maritime academy then do so. Why would you bother with a maritime academy for an inland anyways?

[QUOTE=z-drive;139179]Somewhere it says that a oceans license also covers NC/inland, and a NC license also covers inland. I can’t say exactly where but know I have read it. Obviously the same scope would apply (3rd mate to 3rd mate). No sure if they say “supersede” as much as it means you can sail on those waters.[/QUOTE]

From the MSM

1. Grade Level.
    A license as chief, second, or third mate on ocean or near coastal routes authorizes service as a mate where a specific grade level is not required. In many situations, the conditions of employment are different from those normally associated with the licensed grade level. For example, a third mate - oceans may be employed as a mate -inland even though the operations of the vessel will probably be very different from
    19-1
    those of an oceangoing vessel. The employer must ensure that the officer is familiar with the special requirements of the position and understands the duties and responsibilities of the position. The officer must comply with the regulations (46 CFR 10.101(b) and 15.405) to become familiar with each vessel’s relevant characteristics.

Just to clarify if you hold a 3rd mate unlimited nc/oc you can work on an unlimited inland vessel as a mate. Just want to be sure because thats the route i want to go.

[QUOTE=mrdrew;139132]Marine Safety Manual (MSM), volume 3 chapter 10 “Licenses deck/engineers - Credit for Academy Grad” Chapter 10 > B6 Creditable Sea Service. Bottom of page, 10-3."[/QUOTE]

This is what she cited:

"Credit For Academy Graduates.

Academy graduates can qualify as third mate under 46 CFR 10.407(a)(2). Their academy service can therefore be considered as equivalent to the sea service requirement for third mate (three years service in the deck department, six months of which is as able seaman). When an academy graduate that meets 46 CFR 10.407(a)(2), applies for other deck licenses such as master 1600 or master of uninspected fishing industry vessels, their academy training may be credited as three years service in the deck department, six months of which is as able seaman. None of it shall be considered service as a licensed mate. OCMIs should be cautious in crediting academy training toward licenses of not more than 100 gross tons considering section 10.B.9.b. below."