Oxygen Refills For Boat

NFPA for the fire dept requires the air be tested for purity. Biggest problem my vol dept has is idiots filling bottles while a truck is running in the station

I noticed that Home Depot sells small oxygen bottles. Would these be of any use?

If so, how do you attach a mask and regulator to a welding gas bottle? Or better yet transfer the welding O2 to a medical O2 cylinder?

I always got medical grade O2 from Airgas when working as medical officer for a NOAA ship. Welding oxygen is not medical grade. If you are in the middle of nowhere and you had no other option, you could potentially use it if the CG is several hrs out. You’re best option would be to prolly hook the mask to the O2 hose somehow.

The aviation forums are full of ways to get airplane tanks filled by using big welding tanks. Apparently the gas is the exact same thing. Here you go:
http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182079-1.html

[QUOTE=yacht_sailor;114311]The aviation forums are full of ways to get airplane tanks filled by using big welding tanks. Apparently the gas is the exact same thing. [/QUOTE]
The gas should be the “exact same thing”, likely comes from the same source at the gas plant, and is probably filled with the same equipment. As I mentioned previously part of the price difference between industrial gas grades and breathing gas grades are additional handling procedures to prevent contaminated gasses from being distributed, especially when cylinders with an unknown history are included in the system. If you are in the middle of the ocean welding oxygen may be the best option available. When the price difference between welding 02 and other grades is around $20 per 220cf T bottle it is worth the effort to procure breathing media for one’s first aid kit.

I think I found a solution. A pilot friend told me to look into Boost Oxygen:
http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/8543

Looks like it may do the trick!

I get my oxygen from the local Praxair. I just show my Dan card and they have no problem filling my bottle.

Try your local fire department or hospital, sometimes they are cool with it…DAN is definitely your best bet though

[QUOTE=c.captain;113058]that’s what I figured so now this question. How about using air from a ship’s service compressor for breathing purposes such as a sandblaster’s hood?[/QUOTE]
2 words: lipoid pneumonia.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;114780]2 words: lipoid pneumonia.[/QUOTE]

If that was a threat few engineers would survive the first week in an engine room. Have you ever cleaned a piece of machinery? Ever been in a cloud of oil vapor?

SS air is like a wild mountain breeze compared to what passes for the atmosphere in many machinery spaces at times.

[QUOTE=Steamer;114781]If that was a threat few engineers would survive the first week in an engine room. Have you ever cleaned a piece of machinery? Ever been in a cloud of oil vapor?

SS air is like a wild mountain breeze compared to what passes for the atmosphere in many machinery spaces at times.[/QUOTE]
Glad I am not an engineer, then :smiley: