Back Injury/surgery-- License Renewal?

I’m 25yrs old, held my 100ton master oupv license since I was 22, got hurt pretty bad while working offshore on a crewboat out of cameron, over a year ago. Due to a current lawsuit against former employer can’t give exact details. But basically workin for a major boat company out of Houma, La. Was runnin a 92ft triple screw crewboat out of cameron La. Had three days of 60-65 mph SSE winds, conditions were stacked as soon as you hit the jetties, younger capt on the boat heads out on the third day to impress the rig, heads out to a rig in 12-15ft groundswells in a 92ft crewboat, out come of it all was i got thrown down on my back, had two ruptured/herniated discs, had no other option but back surgery. Now I’m 25 and I have four 4 1/2" titanium pedicle screws drilled into my spine with connecting rods, can’t do much of anything anymore, even hurts like hell to take a shit. Attorneys say my case will never see the light of a courtroom. All that set aside, what are the honest chances of me being able to renew my capts license now that I have a chunk of metal in my back and chance of being able to find any kind of future employment. Like I said can’t do much as it is now, had the surgery back in Feb 16th of this year, won’t be able to lift more than 25lbs, any takers on this one ???

I’m not sure of the answer to that one Capt JJ. I would think it would be up to a doctor as to weather or not he would clear you to work and then if the Coast Guard would except his opinion??? I would make this argument in the lawsuit because if you are not able to return to work anywhere because of lack of license your career is over and so is your money. As far as finding a job anywhere else, Good Luck, there is not many jobs out there right now. I wish you luck in having the out come go your way.

Capt JJ…

I too had a back surgery some 10 years ago…Mine wasn’t as serious as yours,I only herniated one disc and didn’t end up with screws or rods…But I found out the hard way that it’s bad enough, as far as companies are concerned, when it comes time to hire you…

If you look at the new guidlines for physicals, that the Coast Guard,has on their website you will notice that for your condition, it will take 5 trouble free years to satisfy them…Otherwise your case will have be determined on an individual basis, between now and then, as you apply for renewals and upgrades…

If it were me, knowing what I know now, I would keep my mouth shut, to future employers and the CG at least for now…Your back will get better hopefully over time…The lifting limitation the DR put on you is based on the surgery,not the individual and is there to cover their ass…There are ways to get that limitation raised or even lifted…

PM me if you would like and I can give you some pretty good info that will help you continue in the industry…It is possible…I did it…

Bump, Bump, Bump…

Been a Long time since this topic has been brought up. Anybody have experience with this over the past several years??? What has the NMC said to You about a Back Injury/Surgery within the past 5-years???

Capt JJ
I ended up with hardware in my lower back about five years ago and I am still on the sidelines. PM me if you want to talk.