So with my measly 100 ton work has been easy to come by

Before I got my license I heard all this doom and gloom on here about how it’s nearly impossible for captains (especially lower tonnage) to get decent jobs. Within six months I’ve got a steady gig driving a sport fisher, doing sailing charters, and yacht delivery work.

And honestly that’s been without even trying that hard. Answered a craigslist post, got my name dropped by some friends, and have been able to park boats without chipping paint or causing a scene.

So just curious if things have changed for everyone or if I’m the exception here. From skimming the posts the one thing I am doing is multiple jobs. If one gets a little lean, I can rely on the others.

I’m also in San Diego (lots of stuff going on here) and it’s summer; I guess we’ll see what happens when winter rolls around as well.

[QUOTE=radpin;53842]So just curious if things have changed for everyone or if I’m the exception here.[/QUOTE]

You are the exception. Most people here work on vessels made of steel not fiberglass. Just a different side of things.

Good to hear that you are having luck.
I don’t know how winters are in Cali, but talking to the yacht guys that came from Florida winter can be a bitch if you don’t have a steady gig.

And that is what most of us around these boards are after. A steady pay check and benefits with working and living conditions that don’t make you question if slavery is still alive and well.

Radpin, What sort of retirement plan, medical/dental coverage, disability insurance and training/upgrade benefits are you getting?

If that works for you and meets your needs, great. But you’re comparing apples and oranges.

See you are speaking a language that most do not even think about. Who needs all that garbage?

I am a former commercial diver and have a lot of current and former US Navy Diver friends some of whom are or were commercial divers at one time.
I could go out and get all the latest certs for Nitrox, and blah, blah, to take people out diving anywhere in the world.
I love to fish.
I am a quick learner. I could take people out fishin too.

I could just float around like a leaf on a breeze runnin fiberglass go fasts for people who have way too much time and money on their hands.

Hang on my wife just slapped me back to reality. Me and my 3 youngins got church this Sunday. Best be gettin off that computer.

Home at last. No place like home.

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;53948]See you are speaking a language that most do not even think about. Who needs all that garbage?[/QUOTE]
That is why most successful mariners (who have families, need a healthplan etc etc) use the 100 ton not a the destination but as a starting point.
RADPIN, hopefully you will be able to find a place/boat/owner who will treat you right. But, as your post indicates, having multiple jobs (to equal a full time job) gets REALLY old really fast. Wait until you have a family. It gets old even faster.

[QUOTE=cappy208;53967]That is why most successful mariners (who have families, need a healthplan etc etc) use the 100 ton not a the destination but as a starting point.
RADPIN, hopefully you will be able to find a place/boat/owner who will treat you right. But, as your post indicates, having multiple jobs (to equal a full time job) gets REALLY old really fast. Wait until you have a family. It gets old even faster.[/QUOTE]

That’s my whole point. Some mariners do not think about the benefits. All they think about is the pay check. Good benefits are part of the total package and should always be considered as part of your pay.

That’s why my next question after day rate is how is the insurance and how long until I can start putting money into my 401k.

You a second career captain or a young guy getting started? I’m guessing 2nd career…

You’re welcome.BTW Bike Trial Seller Seller how far back do you suggest answering Bike Shop some of these posted problems? Bike Store See a lot of Bike Trials unanswered ones going way back.