Just got a job: THANKS gCaptain!

August 2007 I posted and asked for some career advice. Everyone here was increadibly helpful. Especially Captain Lee. A special thanks to him for the 1000+ word manual he posted that included a 10 year income forcast for 100 ton and AB to Mate tracks. Unbelivably helpful!

Now, 1 1/2 years later, REC, AB, TWIC, STCW, 50 ton NC and all the other stuff behind me,
I was offered an unlicensed deckhand job with OCEANEERING today and took it. It will be on a <100 ton mini supply doing dive ops on a 4 point anchor spread.

Since I dont have any GOM recency I figure its a great place to get a start. Besides as a past GOM diver at least ill know whats hapening on the boat.

So to everyone a BIG BAYOU THANK YOU for all the great gCaptain help!

Joel
AKA bob

Congratulations!:slight_smile:

Congratulations Joel !!! Keep us posted on your progress…

Congrats. Lee does go out of his way to help.

Congrats! You did the impossible. There are no jobs now. You took the last one. I cna’t believe it. An actual job in the GOM? Wow.

But seriously, watch out for the divers. They are always a fun bunch. I am one of the few boat people who don’t mind them so much, but you should be prepared to hate them like everyone else.

Oceaneering is a good outfit, though some of their boats look pretty ragged. Diving is hard on them - they bash into a lot of stuff, crane ops at sea are always fun on boats under 400ft, even if it’s just an A-frame on the stern.

My friend works for Oceaneering, she trains the safety divers that do astronaut training in the giant-ass pool in Houston. It’s cool, they have shuttle mockups, spacestations, etc at the bottom of the pool. They breath 40% o2 too. It’s fun!

Take care of yourself and be careful. Those dive boats are asked to do some crazy shit sometimes.

-dennis

Congratulations, and good luck on your first hitch!

Awesome! That’s what it’s all about!!

(did Anchorman really just say something nice about Lee?!)

[quote=john;8990]Awesome! That’s what it’s all about!!

(did Anchorman really just say something nice about Lee?!)[/quote]

Yeah, I know right? I must be getting over the homophobia :slight_smile:

I could tell by your new avatar :cool:

I guess I asked for that one…

Excellent job Joel…Good luck !

Glad I could help Bob.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I hope I have as much good fortune in the coming weeks.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I to have gotten tremendous help from gCaptain members.
Good luck <O:p
T<O:p
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote=bob;8941]August 2007 I posted and asked for some career advice. Everyone here was increadibly helpful. Especially Captain Lee. A special thanks to him for the 1000+ word manual he posted that included a 10 year income forcast for 100 ton and AB to Mate tracks. Unbelivably helpful!

Now, 1 1/2 years later, REC, AB, TWIC, STCW, 50 ton NC and all the other stuff behind me,
I was offered an unlicensed deckhand job with OCEANEERING today and took it. It will be on a <100 ton mini supply doing dive ops on a 4 point anchor spread.

Since I dont have any GOM recency I figure its a great place to get a start. Besides as a past GOM diver at least ill know whats hapening on the boat.

So to everyone a BIG BAYOU THANK YOU for all the great gCaptain help!

Joel
AKA bob[/quote]

Are you going to change your screen name to Bayou Bob now?:slight_smile:

I sure agree with what you said, about Capt. lee,…Because of him in that pic, wearing the G-string…I can assure you that I will never find my self in that position…Thanks Lee !!:):slight_smile:

Congratulations! Hope my search is has the same success when the time comes.

[quote=fourdegreesc;8970]Congrats! You did the impossible. There are no jobs now. You took the last one. I cna’t believe it. An actual job in the GOM? Wow.

But seriously, watch out for the divers. They are always a fun bunch. I am one of the few boat people who don’t mind them so much, but you should be prepared to hate them like everyone else.

Oceaneering is a good outfit, though some of their boats look pretty ragged. Diving is hard on them - they bash into a lot of stuff, crane ops at sea are always fun on boats under 400ft, even if it’s just an A-frame on the stern.

My friend works for Oceaneering, she trains the safety divers that do astronaut training in the giant-ass pool in Houston. It’s cool, they have shuttle mockups, spacestations, etc at the bottom of the pool. They breath 40% o2 too. It’s fun!

Take care of yourself and be careful. Those dive boats are asked to do some crazy shit sometimes.

-dennis[/quote]

Oh, the divers aren’t too bad when compared to the tenders. . . .

Why are Dives and Tenders so maligned…?

Especially those cuddly Tenders. Oh yes, Tenders: Squires to the Knights of the deep. Humm ya think they have an attitude or somethin?
Joel

I know this thread is very old and I apologize. I was curious if the OP was still around and maybe an update on his progress with Oceaneering. I did a search of the forums and came up empty handed when looking for any info on this company, not in terms of what they do, but in terms of how workers are treated etc. Thank you.