OUPV Qualify as AB?

I am currently seeking employment on a rig or ship and have my OUPV because I do coastal fishing charters. I am looking to get an entry level job and the requirements for some jobs are to have USCG Merchant Mariner’s Document with a minimum of AB Special. Would I be qualified for said job because of my OUPV or would I have to go back and take an AB course?

Thanks

Your OUPV is restricted to smaller vessels, probably 50 or 100 Tons…It wont do much for you on the size of vessels you wish to work on…But your seatime might help you, look at the requirements below and see where you fit in…Yes, you will need an AB course along with basic safety training and lifeboatman…

(a) The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for the various categories of endorsement as able seaman are listed in this paragraph.
(1) Able Seaman—Any Waters, Unlimited. Three years service on deck on vessels operating on the oceans or the Great Lakes.
(2) Able Seaman—Limited. Eighteen months service on deck in vessels of 100 gross tons or over which operate in a service not exclusively confined to the rivers and smaller inland lakes of the United States.
(3) Able Seaman—Special. Twelve months service on deck on vessels operating on the oceans, or the navigable waters of the United States including the Great Lakes.
(4) Able Seaman—Special (OSV). Six months service on deck on vessels operating on the oceans, or the navigable waters of the United States including the Great Lakes.
(5) After July 31, 1998, to receive an STCW endorsement for service as a “rating forming part of a navigational watch” on a seagoing ship of 500 GT or more, the applicant’s seagoing service must include training and experience associated with navigational watchkeeping and involve the performance of duties carried out under the direct supervision of the master, the officer in charge of the navigational watch, or a qualified rating forming part of a navigational watch. The training and experience must be sufficient to establish that the candidate has achieved the standard of competence prescribed in table A-II/4 of the STCW Code (incorporated by reference in §12.01–3), in accordance with the methods of demonstrating competence and the criteria for evaluating competence specified in that table.

Thank you very much sir.

[quote=Shellback;28130]Your OUPV is restricted to smaller vessels, probably 50 or 100 Tons…It wont do much for you on the size of vessels you wish to work on…But your seatime might help you, look at the requirements below and see where you fit in…Yes, you will need an AB course along with basic safety training and lifeboatman…

(a) The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for the various categories of endorsement as able seaman are listed in this paragraph.
(1) Able Seaman—Any Waters, Unlimited. Three years service on deck on vessels operating on the oceans or the Great Lakes.
(2) Able Seaman—Limited. Eighteen months service on deck in vessels of 100 gross tons or over which operate in a service not exclusively confined to the rivers and smaller inland lakes of the United States.
(3) Able Seaman—Special. Twelve months service on deck on vessels operating on the oceans, or the navigable waters of the United States including the Great Lakes.
(4) Able Seaman—Special (OSV). Six months service on deck on vessels operating on the oceans, or the navigable waters of the United States including the Great Lakes.
(5) After July 31, 1998, to receive an STCW endorsement for service as a “rating forming part of a navigational watch” on a seagoing ship of 500 GT or more, the applicant’s seagoing service must include training and experience associated with navigational watchkeeping and involve the performance of duties carried out under the direct supervision of the master, the officer in charge of the navigational watch, or a qualified rating forming part of a navigational watch. The training and experience must be sufficient to establish that the candidate has achieved the standard of competence prescribed in table A-II/4 of the STCW Code (incorporated by reference in §12.01–3), in accordance with the methods of demonstrating competence and the criteria for evaluating competence specified in that table.[/quote]

Copy & Paste…