Orion 1 Crane Failure: ‘the ship could handle the “whiplash” effect, but the crane could not

Here is a picture that shows the hook as intact:

And here what was left on the block and yoke:

Finally; the hook laying on the barge deck after the collapse, the construction of the hook and how it was connected to the yoke:

The horns are obviously intact and it looks like the stem is too, but that the hook itself separated from the rest of the assembly.

Closer look at the hook laying on the barge deck:

Obviously the “horns” are intact.

1 Like

anyone found the hook certificate yet and or the foundry cert?

No investigation report around… I even ignore who could lead the investigation.
The ‘Orion’ was not a fully registered ship at the incident time; she was still owned as ‘Orion 1’ by the Chinese shipyard.

For now, with a new crane, she is beginning to work >>>
https://www.vesselfinder.com/news/24190-DEMES-next-generation-vessel-Orion-successfully-installs-the-Fcamp-offshore-sustation-jacket-and-topside

I recall the Germans did an investigation and issued a very detailed report on that. In German …

In Rostock port too, in January 2020, two Liebherr harbor-cranes fell overboard into the harbor while they were loaded on a vessel. The German Federal Bureau of Maritime Casualty Investigation published a detailed investigation report >>>

For the crane failure here, the German Bureau did not even start an investigation; it is probably considered as an industrial shipyard incident.

There were certainly investigations started by the insurers and the concerned builders in Germany, the Netherlands and China (and may be elsewhere). However, none can use the results as good PR…

1 Like

I see.

Yes this is nearby to us and I read the report some time ago - so I’ve confused the incidents it seems.

Thank you for the update.

Someone had a large bill, repair the ship, new crane, penalties for first contract etc

1 Like

Just looked at the photos again and read someplace else where the hook designer is upset about the failure. The drawing in Bug’s post above is odd as it shows material lines as continuous across the entire assembly which makes them essentially meaningless.

How is what appears to be a retaining collar attached to the stem? Is it threaded? If so the break appears to be in the vicinity of where the threads would end. The drawing is either incomplete or intentionally misleading. In any event, this doesn’t look like the type of failure it takes a metallurgical rocket scientist to unravel.

HOOK

2 Likes