Opinions on gulf companies

The only company I have heard a lot about on here is chouest. I would like to hear the opinions of current or past employees on some others.

Otto Candies
Aries
Harvey Gulf
GOL
Tidewater

And other major players that pop into mind.

Capt Lee posted his list of top companies on one of the threads a while back. I don’t remember what thread or what all he said but you can probably search his posts and find it. Or shit, maybe he will just post here as I’m sure others will! :slight_smile:

I remember that but I was looking for something from people who have worked for them. I doubt lee worked for them all…

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;53981]The only company I have heard a lot about on here is chouest. I would like to hear the opinions of current or past employees on some others.

Otto Candies - Good company, nice people, > average pay for gulf, high insurance premiums
Aries - Have no idea. I would not work there
Harvey Gulf - Good company, growing, stability with Shell contracts
GOL - Good pay, but forced even time, if you like that, even better
Tidewater - See #2

And other major players that pop into mind.[/QUOTE]

Otto Candies - Good company, nice people, > average pay for gulf, high insurance premiums
Aries - Have no idea. I would not work there
Harvey Gulf - Good company, growing, stability with Shell contracts
GOL - Good pay, but forced even time, if you like that, even better
Tidewater - See #2

[QUOTE=anchorman;53995]
GOL - Good pay, but forced even time, if you like that, even better[/QUOTE]

This is a problem?

Why would you not work there?

[QUOTE=anchorman;53995]GOL - Good pay, but forced even time, if you like that, even better[/QUOTE]

Has boats that are not equal time. Good people, good equipment, pays for DP. Plenty of paperwork, but it goes fast once you get into the swing of it.

Why in the world would you not want to work equal time? If you are single or divorced I could see working unequal time, but with a family it’s not worth it. If you are not making it on equal time money you are living above your means.

As a retired sailor and now strictly investor, I would stay away from Hornbeck. As far as private companies, I am not much help.

[QUOTE=Tugted;54024]Why in the world would you not want to work equal time? If you are single or divorced I could see working unequal time, but with a family it’s not worth it. If you are not making it on equal time money you are living above your means.[/QUOTE]

Umm yea… Not much of an option in the Gulf on supply boats. And using the logic that not working even time means I’m living above my means, then hell if you work at all you’re living above you’re means.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;53983]I remember that but I was looking for something from people who have worked for them. I doubt lee worked for them all…[/QUOTE]

You are correct. I have worked for 3 boats companies: John E Graham & Sons, New Iberia Crew boats & Marine Services and Chouest. I have only worked for one drilling contractor: Seadrill. It is always good to get information from an inside source, but it is better to get multiple opinions. Not everyone has the same experiences even in small companies.

[QUOTE=Tugted;54024]Why in the world would you not want to work equal time? If you are single or divorced I could see working unequal time, but with a family it’s not worth it. If you are not making it on equal time money you are living above your means.[/QUOTE]

If I am paying all of my bills, I am obviously not living beyond my means. How I choose to do that is no business of anyone’s but my own.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;53981]The only company I have heard a lot about on here is chouest. I would like to hear the opinions of current or past employees on some others.

Otto Candies
Aries
Harvey Gulf
GOL
Tidewater

And other major players that pop into mind.[/QUOTE]

Gulf Mark boats look good, anyone have any thoughts on them?

My “opinion” for what it is worth;

Otto Candies. = Good company and equipment, but as Anchorman said, high insurances. Benefits are not too good. Equipment is well kept. and I would say pay is good.
Aries = Built a couple of new boats. Dont know much about them or their equipment.
Harvey Gulf = They have a building program going on. Never heard too much bad about them. I think the pay is about average. They dont seem to have alot of turnover.
GOL = One of the better companies. They also have a building program going on. Will be building some 300 foot OSVs. They seem to pay a little above normal Gulf OSV wages. Good equipment.
Tidewater = Been around forever. Alot of boats, I dont think much in the Gulf though. Never worked for them, so not sure about pay. I would only guess the benefits are decent there because of the amount of employees.

Not to steal the OP’s thunder but what about Kirby?? Good Bad and Ugly please.

I heard good things about them plus they are buying everyone, so I can only guess that they are doing real good. And that’s always important when looking into a company.

They are buying everyone because they save money by paying the crew nothing

I spoke with Kirby a few years ago, and they were paying bottom dollar for unlicensed crew.

I thought they payd good money! I guess I was wrong!!

GOL does pay pretty good but in all honesty their equipment isn’t that great. Their boats are new but they are cookie cutter boats designed by a shipyard for quick delivery and big profit margins. All of their bigger OSV’s were built by Thoma-Sea and let’s just say those vessels have alot to be desired. The accomodations on the 225’s, 250’s, etc… are awful with almost everyone sharing a room, the DP capabilities suffer from not being a deeper drafting vessel (B/T comes out of water often) and there business practices in acquiring work are let’s just say questionable at best.

If top pay is what you are looking for then this may be the place for you. If you are looking for NICE equipment and a reputable company you may want to go elsewhere. Just my $.02.