OP-ED: "Sometimes There's Just Not Enough Rocks"

My very sincere thanks to you Tony…your words speak volumes and are fundamental truths which cannot be disputed except by the criminally shortsighted!

[B]OP-ED: "Sometimes There’s Just Not Enough Rocks[/B]

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

This is no time to weaken our maritime laws.

By Tony Munoz, Publisher & Editor-in-Chief of The Maritime Executive and MarEx Newsletter

In a recent Wall Street Journal article, Senator John McCain described the Jones Act as a “protectionist” law serving only U.S. shipping companies and maritime unions. He said the argument that the Jones Act is needed for national security is “laughable.” He would have us believe that foreign shipping companies are as patriotic as American companies trading on U.S. coastlines and inland waterways.

The world is a dangerous place where international laws are breaking down, and geopolitical change is unpredictable and carries all sorts of risks. The Arab Spring, which fostered hope, has turned into a bloody winter of discontent, and Americans have been killed in the sanctuary of their own embassies.

Meanwhile, the U.S.’s strategic objectives and mission abroad are also changing rapidly. China and Russia are now building massive military complexes as “defensive” measures against the overwhelming presence of U.S. military capability in Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Europe. China is expanding its national security perimeters and has threatened war with its neighbors over natural resources and maritime borders. The Russian leadership, including Vladimir Putin, is preparing for war and plans to spend nearly a trillion dollars over the next decade on intercontinental ballistic missiles, fighter aircraft, submarines and sophisticated warships.

Muscle-Flexing

On September 16 an International Mine-Sweeping Coalition consisting of more than 30 nations began an unprecedented 10-day exercise off the coast of Iran with an armada of warships, including U.S. Nimitz-class vessels transporting about 70 tactical fighters. The muscle-flexing in the Strait of Hormuz was meant to intimidate the Iranian leadership. Moscow let it be known that “wars often begin through a provocation,” and Beijing concurred that the U.S.-led exercise was “extremely explosive.”

But the stuff really hit the fan on September 17, when Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta announced the U.S. intends to build another missile defense station in Japan aimed at “rogue states.” The Russians and Chinese were incited further and increased their opposition rhetoric about being encircled by U.S. aggression. Moscow said “today” there is imminent danger of a thermonuclear confrontation with the U.S. Beijing warned “its longstanding nuclear policy of ‘no first use of nuclear weapons’” has changed.

Taiwan is another flashpoint for the U.S. as Beijing is claiming sovereignty over the nation of more than 20 million. China has strategically positioned about 1,600 Dong Feng 16 missiles aimed directly at the island nation. Meanwhile, the 1979 Taiwan Relations Act requires that the U.S. sell arms to Taiwan, and it has sold more than $25 billion worth, including $10 billion since 2003, making Taiwan the largest recipient of U.S. arms sales during that period.

Senator McCain is way off base about the unimportance of the Jones Act for national security. Must “free trade” mean total access by foreign carriers to America’s coastlines and inland arteries? McCain has continually voted against any measure that would afford more Americans jobs, but always votes for agricultural interests so that highly subsidized farmers can sell a few more bushels overseas.

A Few Rocks for the Administration

Since taking office the Obama Administration has done absolutely nothing to advance the interests of the U.S. maritime sector, develop its infrastructure or create jobs for mariners and shipbuilders. In fact, the maritime industry has endured too many Administration-sponsored waivers to the Jones Act and cargo preference laws, which are meant to sustain a strong U.S.-flag presence in the world.

The U.S. Merchant Marine suffered a body blow when cargo preference for food aid was slashed from 75% to 50% in the Transportation Reform Bill. Moreover, the 2013 DOT budget was increased by $1.4 billion to $74 billion and was lavished with an additional $492 billion (a 34% increase) over six years for air, rail and surface transit. Meanwhile, the Maritime Administration got $344 million for its 2013 budget.

In 2010 the selection of David Matsuda as Administrator of the Maritime Administration was notice to the industry that maritime was no longer an important transportation strategy. Where are all the admirals? Additionally, the appointments of an Army colonel to be Superintendent of Kings Point and a Navy captain as Deputy Administrator of MarAd underlined the lack of experience required by the Secretary to manage the maritime sector.

The Maritime Security Program (MSP), which expires in 2015, has been reauthorized until 2025, and 60 ships will be guaranteed $2.82 billion. While Congress must authorize the program each year and the system provides jobs for U.S. mariners, more than half the tonnage is owned by foreign entities, and this negatively impacts the infrastructure of the U.S. shipbuilding industry.

The Coast Guard & Maritime Transportation Act of 2011 appropriates $25.7 billion for the Coast Guard mission during the period 2012-2014, and everyone in the country will agree it is money well spent. The legislative measure also instructs the Secretary to assess the national maritime system for short sea shipping and report back to Congress in five years. But in the same section (406), Congress also terminates the short sea shipping program on September 30, 2017. The language is a paradox within an enigma, and it spins the spin.

Further in the bill, the Maritime Administrator is given discretion and authorization to waive compliance with the Jones Act based on the non-availability of qualified U.S. tonnage. Again, the vague semantics simply means that foreign operators will transport essential oil and gas and heavy-lift for national defense considerations.

Since being in office the Administration’s agenda has been to outsource the U.S. maritime and MSP military mission, which is now in the hands of Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Germany. Senator McCain wants to tear down the walls of U.S. cabotage, but would the nation be safer?

In the movie Forrest Gump, Jenny throws rocks at the home where she was raised by an abusive father. And when there are no more rocks, Forrest says in his simple but stinging logic, “Sometimes there’s just not enough rocks.” The home was later bulldozed. – MarEx

Tony Munoz can be reached at tonymunoz@maritime-executive.com for comments.

Bravo to you sir…BRAVO!

I don’t understand McPain sometimes. Maybe the Russkies turned him into a Manchurian Candidate while he was in the Hanoi Hilton. Maybe he’s a “company” man and he’s trying to set up the next al-CIA-da false flag attack this time on a US port. Why does a guy from Arizona care about this stuff. There are no ports or shipyards in Arizona. I guess none of this is sexy enough to get any media attention. It seems our government is hell bent on giving the country away and all of us with it one piece at a time. It’s an alarming trend and it doesn’t matter which bunch is in charge. They’ll gut the Jones act then this NAFTA superhighway will be a reality. The airline pilots will be next followed by train engineers, conductors and bus drivers. Won’t be long til your getting asked for “papers please” half a dozen times just to go across town.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;85314]They’ll gut the Jones act then this NAFTA superhighway will be a reality.[/QUOTE]

The nafta superhighway is already under construction and will render the jones act useless with or without McCain’s help!

http://gcaptain.com/mexicos-900-million-mega-container/

My prediction is, in 10 years, you’ll see the I-5 pipeline extended down to Lazaro Cardenas and Valdez tankers will no longer be pulling into el segundo or Bellingham.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;85314]Why does a guy from Arizona care about this stuff. There are no ports or shipyards in Arizona. [/QUOTE]

He may likely have big agriculture backers who think they would benefit by gutting the Jones Act.

[QUOTE=water;85332]He may likely have big agriculture backers who think they would benefit by gutting the Jones Act.[/QUOTE]

That’s basically exactly what Tony Munoz is saying!

[QUOTE=water;85332]He may likely have big agriculture backers who think they would benefit by gutting the Jones Act.[/QUOTE]

That is what I thought as well but according to the campaign contribution records that does not appear to be the case. Also, his record on “earmarks” does not indicate any favoring of the ag industry. As much as I would like to find what is behind his bizarre desire to destroy the American merchant marine, he doesn’t have any easily uncovered links to the usual suspects.His record on fighting corporate influence is remarkably good.

It is entirely possible that he is simply old, confused, and is being manipulated by his entourage for reasons of their own. I would like to see him retire to Arizona and keep out of politics. His anti Jones Act campaign should be an embarrassement to him personally and as one who has benefited so much from the work of US mariners he should be ashamed of his statements.

The agriculture industry was the ones directly hit by the tarrifs that the Mexican government put on any products being imported into there country as retalation for the cross border trucking program. The cross border trucking program is a big part of NAFTA. It was drafted by Clinton, passed into law by Bush, then supported in every underhanded way by the Obummer group. The Mexican government refuses to raise its standard’s on trucking to our’s instead thinks we should lower our standard to meet there’s. This has been fought in court many times, over the past 10 years. If it was up to Ray laHood and his croney’s they would let the Mexican trucks have free reign to our entire country. If they get the U.S, trucking industry to the point they are having to compete with mexicans, does any one think the Maritime industry will not be next on there list.

There is a organization, that has been fighting the cross border trucking program since day one, the have sued the FMCSA, the DOT, even Ray laHood himself. They have got the cross border trucking program shut down several times. The last time it was thrown out of court, Ray Lahood got on a plane and flew to Mexico and signed the deal with the Mexicans the same day, it got tossed out of federal court. talk about under handed back stabing. This organization is called the OOIDA (owner operators independant drivers assocation) If any one wants to read about some of the fights, and legal battles over this they have been in check out there home page at OOIDA.com. I wish with every bone in my body that the U.S. mariners had a organization similar to represent us.

That is what John McCain is pissed about he gets money from the Agriculture industry, and he sees the Jones act as the same problem as NAFTA cross border trucking program. The program is back on now, but there have only been 8 companies apply for rights to cross the border. Most of which is because the OOIDA is making the FMSCA hold the Mexicans to the same standards as the Americans, not the other way around.

I appereciate everything Tony Munoz does for our industry, he seems to be one of the few, sad to say.

I am not a McCain supporter by any means and wish to see him out of DC for good but I have not been able to find a link to ag interests or I would be happy to rip his withered old ass apart on those grounds. If you know about some connection that can be proven I wish you would share it. It is difficult to make a rational argument when you don’t have proof of the foundation of your argument.

I simply cannot understand why the man is so determined to destroy the American merchant marine and would love to know why he tries so hard to do it. Who is behind him?

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;85341]If it was up to Ray LaHood and his croney’s they would let the Mexican trucks have free reign to our entire country. If they get the U.S, trucking industry to the point they are having to compete with mexicans, does any one think the Maritime industry will not be next on there list.[/QUOTE]

McCain is just a stooge…LaHOOD indeed is the REAL mastermind behind all of these crimes! That FUCKER needs to have his balls kicked so hard they come out if his nose! What an appropriate name for him to have! The SOB even looks like Joe fucking Joe Pesci’s character in Goodfellas.

Have I ever mentioned that I hate that guy? What a FUCKING ASSHOLE!

[QUOTE=c.captain;85351]McCain is just a stooge…LaHOOD indeed is the REAL mastermind behind all of these crimes! That FUCKER needs to have his balls kicked so hard they come out if his nose! What an appropriate name for him to have! The SOB even looks like Joe fucking Joe Pesci’s character in Goodfellas.

Have I ever mentioned that I hate that guy? What a FUCKING ASSHOLE!

.[/QUOTE]
Is there anyone who you do not have the burning hatred of 1,000 suns? From random people to collectively bashing Kings Point in any facet imaginable, you are quite the expert in looking like a complete fool! Your history is littered with disparaging comments and vile assumptions. Well, I could go on and on - but I rather wish you luck in finding a good therapist.