Politics and the Jones Act

Has anyone heard John McCain’s current position on the Jones Act ? I know at one time he was trying to get rid of the cargo and passenger provisions .

Here is a link from the Discoverer. It includes candidates positions on the Jones Act, MSP, and PL 480 cargo prefference. <br><br><A href="http://www.bridgedeck.org/WhatsNew/maritime%20issues%20-%20candidates.pdf]http://www.bridgedeck.org/WhatsNew/maritime%20issues%20-%20candidates.pdf</A><br><br>Vote Democrat<br>

His current “position” doesn’t matter, the fact is he has a long history of wanting to repeal the act.

Did you know that Joe Biden has “an almost perfect ‘100 percent’ voting record in terms of his support of
the US-flag merchant marine over the course of his career.” LINK<br><br>

<meta http-equiv=“Content-Type” content="text/html; charset=utf-8]<meta name=“ProgId” content="Word.Document]<meta name=“Generator” content="Microsoft Word 11]<meta name=“Originator” content="Microsoft Word 11]<link rel=“File-List” href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CDPine%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml]<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri=“urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags” name="country-region]</o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri=“urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags” name=“place]</o:smarttagtype><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:WordDocument>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:PunctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=“false” LatentStyleCount=“156]
</w:LatentStyles>
</xml><![endif]–><!–[if !mso]><object
classid=“clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D” id=ieooui></object>
<style>
st1:{behavior:url(#ieooui) }
</style>
<![endif]–><style>
<!–
/
Style Definitions /
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:“Times New Roman”;
mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
mso-header-margin:.5in;
mso-footer-margin:.5in;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
–>
</style><!–[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/
Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:“Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:””;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:10.0pt;
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
</style>
<![endif]–>

<p class=“MsoNormal” style=“text-align: center;” align=“center]Position of
Presidential candidates Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) and Senator John McCain
(R-AZ) on issues important to the U.S.-flag maritime industry:<br>
<br>
<span 1:p=”]<span 1:p="]<strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<span style="font-size: 10pt;]JONES ACT<span style="text-decoration: underline;"1:p></u1:p></span></span></strong></span><strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]</span></strong></span><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<o:p></o:p></span>

<p class="MsoNormal]<strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<span style=“font-size: 10pt;]SENATOR BARACK
OBAMA<span 1:p=”]</span></span></span></strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<o:p></o:p></span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline;"1:p></u1:p>

<p class=“MsoNormal]<span 1:p=”]“The Jones Act is a vital part of our national
defense and supports American workers. As President, I would fully
enforce it. The Jones Act should be waived only under rare
circumstances. I spoke out when the Bush Administration ignored the Passenger
Vessel Services Act, which applies Jones Act requirements to cruise, ferry and
excursion vessels, and contracted Carnival Cruise Lines, a foreign owned
company, to house evacuees from hurricane Katrina. Not only did they earn
a higher-than-normal profit, but they violated Federal law in doing so.
As is required by law, I will only waive the Jones Act when necessitated by
national security.<span style="text-decoration: underline;"1:p></u1:p></span><o:p></o:p>

<p class="MsoNormal]“Furthermore, maintaining the American merchant marine
fleet is vital to our economy and national security. I would oppose any move to
undermine this Act.” (2008)<span 1:p=”]<o:p></o:p></span>

<p class=“MsoNormal]<span 1:p=”]<strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<span style=“font-size: 10pt;]SENATOR
JOHN McCAIN<span 1:p=”]</span></span></span></strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<o:p></o:p></span></span>

<p class=“MsoNormal]<span 1:p=”]“I would like to see the Jones Act repealed,
but I don’t think that’s likely. I don’t think I would get twenty votes
if I were to bring it to the floor.” (1997)<span style="text-decoration: underline;"1:p></u1:p></span><o:p></o:p>

<p class=“MsoNormal]<span 1:p=”]“While [we] could argue about the magnitude of
the cost [of the Jones Act], there is no doubt that the Jones Act adds costs to
U.S. shippers, especially in areas where water transportation is the only
economical shipping option, such as Hawaii, Guam and Puerto Rico.” (1998)<span style="text-decoration: underline;"1:p></u1:p><o:p></o:p></span>

<p class=“MsoNormal]<span 1:p=”]“It appears that the Jones Act has a negative
economic impact on American consumers, but more information is needed to
accurately assess the magnitude of this impact, the national security value of
the Jones Act, and the effects of various reform proposals.” (1998)<span style="text-decoration: underline;"1:p></u1:p><o:p></o:p></span>

<p class=“MsoNormal” style=“text-align: center;” align="center]<strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<span style=“font-size: 10pt;]<span 1:p=”]MARITIME SECURITY PROGRAM</span></span></span></strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<o:p></o:p></span>

<p class="MsoNormal]<strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<span style="font-size: 10pt;]SENATOR BARACK
OBAMA</span></span></strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<o:p></o:p></span>

<p class=“MsoNormal]“The Maritime Security Program helps ensure US-flag vessels
are ready to meet our needs during times of war or national emergency and I
support fully funding it. I support funding the Maritime Security Program
so that it serves our nation’s national security needs. If the GAO
[General Accountability Office] or another independent body finds that the MSP
program needs to be expanded, I will support expanding it to the size
necessary.” (2008)<span 1:p=”]<o:p></o:p></span>

<p class=“MsoNormal]<span 1:p=”]<strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<span style=“font-size: 10pt;]SENATOR
JOHN McCAIN<span 1:p=”]</span></span></span></strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<o:p></o:p></span></span>

<p class=“MsoNormal]<span 1:p=”]“I appreciate the need for a <st1:country-region u4:st="on]<st1:place u4:st="on]<st1:country-region u5:st="on]<st1:place u5:st="on]<st1:place w:st="on]<st1:country-region w:st="on]U.S.</st1:country-region></st1:place></st1:place></st1:country-region></st1:place></st1:country-region>
merchant marine that we can rely on in time of national emergency. However, we
have an obligation to make sure that taxpayers are not required to pay more
than is necessary to meet that goal. . . . I believe we she a competitive
procedure to determine which vessels should be included in the MSP program.” (1996)<span style="text-decoration: underline;"1:p></u1:p></span>

I don’t know why the text editor does the weird formatting, sorry. But the stuff is there.<br><br>

<meta http-equiv=“Content-Type” content="text/html; charset=utf-8]<meta name=“ProgId” content="Word.Document]<meta name=“Generator” content="Microsoft Word 11]<meta name=“Originator” content="Microsoft Word 11]<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri=“urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags” name="country-region]</o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri=“urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags” name=“place]</o:smarttagtype><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:WordDocument>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:PunctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=“false” LatentStyleCount=“156]
</w:LatentStyles>
</xml><![endif]–><!–[if !mso]><object
classid=“clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D” id=ieooui></object>
<style>
st1:{behavior:url(#ieooui) }
</style>
<![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/
Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:“Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:””;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:10.0pt;
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
</style>
<![endif]–>

<p class=“MsoNormal” style=“margin-right: -1in; text-align: center;” align="center]<strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]CARGO PREFERENCE/FOOD FOR PEACE<o:p><span style="text-decoration: none;]<br></span></o:p></span></strong><o:p></o:p><strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]SENATOR BARACK OBAMA<o:p></o:p></span></strong><strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<o:p><span style="text-decoration: none;]</span></o:p></span></strong>

<p class=“MsoNormal” style="margin-right: -1in;]“Our cargo preference laws are
an important way for us to regulate and support the maritime industry. Supporting the maritime industry allows us to
ensure that we have the resources we need during times of ward and national
emergency and maintains standards in the industry. I will continue to support cargo preference
laws where they uphold our goals in shipping.” (2008)<strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]SENATOR JOHN McCAIN<o:p></o:p></span></strong><strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;]<o:p><span style="text-decoration: none;] </span></o:p></span></strong>

<p class=“MsoNormal” style="margin-right: -1in;]In 1989, Senator McCain
supported an effort by Senator Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) to exempt food aid to <st1:country-region w:st="on]<st1:place w:st="on]Poland</st1:place></st1:country-region> from the
cargo preference laws.

<p class=“MsoNormal” style="margin-right: -1in;]In 1990, Senator McCain
supported an attempt by Senator Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) to waive cargo
preference if the U.S.-flag rate were more than 110 percent higher than the
lowest foreign flag rate.<o:p> <br></o:p>

<p class=“MsoNormal” style="margin-right: -1in;]In 1990, Senator McCain
supported an attempt by Senator Steve Symms (R-Idaho) to allow the Secretary of
Agriculture to waive cargo preference whenever the Secretary of Agriculture
determines that cargo preference will result in a lost sale of agricultural
commodities.<o:p> <br></o:p>

<p class=“MsoNormal” style="margin-right: -1in;]In 1991, Senator McCain opposed
legislation that would apply cargo preference to certain cash aid
transactions.<o:p> <br></o:p>

<p class=“MsoNormal” style="margin-right: -1in;]In 1993, Senator McCain
supported a sense of the Senate resolution linking cargo preference and price
gouging by U.S.-flag vessel operators.<o:p><br></o:p>

<p class=“MsoNormal” style="margin-right: -1in;]In 1993, Senator McCain
supported an effort by Senator Hank Brown (R-Colorado) to place a cap on the
rates charged under the cargo preference program.<o:p></o:p><p class=“MsoNormal” style="margin-right: -1in;]<o:p></o:p>In 1996, Senator McCain
supported an attempt by Senator Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) to link the rates
charged by U.S.-flag vessels under cargo preference to foreign flag rates.<o:p></o:p>

Thank you Captain Anonymous.

Why are all the democratic comments recent, while the latest quote from mccain is from 1998?

Probably because Obama wasn’t a senator until about 3 years ago, and McCain’s positions haven’t changed.

McCain is a jackass

Disagree, Osama is not good for the country. But, they are all going to say one thing and do the other when in office anyways.

It all comes down to chosing the lesser of two evils. It has been a long time since we had an overwhelming favorite that the majority of us had faith in. McCain is a GWB clone and if he were to be elected it would be criminal. Even if you do not approve of Obama for whatever reasons, you have to understand the position our country is in. To say that the last eight years were the worst for our country since our separation from the crown should be obvious. Obama isn’t a perfect canidate, but considering the imbecil he will be replacing, How could he possibly do a worse job? To elect for the third time, a like minded individual to continue down the same path is idiotic. IF? McCain gets the vote, we deserve exactly what we get.
I say is again,
McCain is a jackass.

Albert Einstein “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.” I went into one of Obama’s campaign offices and they were able to show me definitively that he supported the Jones act, and commercial fishermen. The only thing that troubles me is his anti-gun stance. So I am torn, kind of, we cannot possibly survive another republican in the president’s office. I go along with my Great Grandmother, “Don’t vote it just encourages them.” . Anyway I don’t think we can afford to sit on the side lines.

People need to wake up and realize that we need neither a Republican or a Democrat in the Presidents office, there are plenty of other candidates to vote for. Quit listening to the mass media.

What, Ralph Nader???

There’s more than just him, besides if you want real change you have to remove both the major parties from power.

Ron Paul!!! Wish he was still running

That’ll happen, for sure. Just like it doesn’t matter if Obama is for gun control. There’s no kicking that dead horse. We won’t see gun control in our lifetimes. Did you see the story about the 8 year old kid whose gun nut father let him shoot an Uzi? The recoil got the best of the kid and he shot himself in the head. Was in today’s paper.

Then who are we supposed to vote for? I look at my absentee ballot, and I see three choices - Idiot A, Idiot B, and Idiot C. Do we all want to write in for the Terminator and see if that works?