OMSA DP certification is here

It was only a matter of time.

fuck…why not? who gave the Nautical Institute a monopoly on issuing certification although if it was up to me, it would be harder to get and not easier to restrict supply of DPOs and always keep some upward pressure on demand. OMSA will likely make it so easy that the cook will get a cert for just being on a DP vessel. Flooding the market only serves the OMSA member companies and not the DP mariners.

[QUOTE=c.captain;133526]fuck…why not? who gave the Nautical Institute a monopoly on issuing certification although if it was up to me, it would be harder to get and not easier to restrict supply of DPOs and always keep some upward pressure on demand. OMSA will likely make it so easy that the cook will get a cert for just being on a DP vessel. Flooding the market only serves the OMSA member companies and not the DP mariners.[/QUOTE]

Just another way for Joe Boss to build another fence. Specifically creating a certification that is accepted only in the oil patch, that prevents cross over to drilling or other sector. Keeping the door shut on anyone trying to have marketable skills and leaving for greener pastures. Probably want to do the same for officers credentials if they get half a chance.

But will they try to not accept NI licenses anymore? That’s my question.

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;133530]Probably want to do the same for officers credentials if they get half a chance.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t that what any OSV endorsement defacto does? Only recognized on a US flag vessel likely owned and operated by OMSA!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;133531]But will they try to not accept NI licenses anymore? That’s my question.[/QUOTE]

If OMSA makes it much easier to get a DP certificate that NI, non OMSA companies will not likely recognize them although the seatime may be creditable to a NI certificate once NI standards are met.

Too soon to tell, but I think I see where this is going and it heads in the direction of OMSA getting more of what it wants and not the mariners. THAT IS THE OMSA WAY!

[QUOTE=c.captain;133526]fuck…why not? who gave the Nautical Institute a monopoly on issuing certification although if it was up to me, it would be harder to get and not easier to restrict supply of DPOs and always keep some upward pressure on demand. OMSA will likely make it so easy that the cook will get a cert for just being on a DP vessel. Flooding the market only serves the OMSA member companies and not the DP mariners.[/QUOTE]
The Nautical Institute gained a monopoly from the duopoly that did exist then the Norwegians handed things over to them.
Everybody else in the world just sat on their hands and did nothing.

quote from Marinelink
"[I]The Authority’s Vice-Chairman Ben Todd of Beier Radio, LLC echoed these thoughts, saying, “For years the maritime industry has been clamoring for a DPO certification system that understands and appreciates offshore service vessel industry usage of DP. Unfortunately, the existing certification systems were unable to address [B]specifics of our industry[/B], so we’ve created the OSVDPA to fill this demand.”[/I]"
Translation…
the NI license doesn’t work for un classed boats/DP systems and non licensed mariners in the GOM

Same Ben Todd that worked at HOS?

[QUOTE=seadonkey;133547]Same Ben Todd that worked at HOS?[/QUOTE]

Ben worked at HOs and now is gettin his from Beire.? hope he treets his peoples better
at Beire than at hos from what I herd from the guys who know him.

thats just what i was told .

It will all come down to what the charterer wants at the end of the day they are the ones paying for the boats. If they want ships crewed with personnel with NI DP tickets then that is what they will get.

Last year DNV tried to create an alternate DP certification system but I think it got shot out the water as charterers wouldn’t accept it, the reason being that people could gain the ticket without actually stepping foot on a vessel.

Should an unaccountable private organization in Europe with terrible, extremely slow, customer service be allowed to dictate who is qualified to work in America?

He’ll no!

Personally, I think a third party is a good thing for mariners. Having a driving force in dp regulations in bed with one side of the house can’t be good. It’s going to kill wages for mariners. The NI sucks, no debate there. But at the end of the day a ticket was equal, (kinda) as long as long as it met the guidelines (regardless of how bull shit it may or may not be). But at the end of the day, how long did we think this was going to last? It was only a matter of time. We all know the Coast guard is going to get their fingers in it at some point, and bring a whole new bunch of happy horse shit.

Have you never been processed by the Coast Guard? I remember three to four month wait times. They once sent my private documents to a “tiger team” (paperwork factory). This was an approved outside facility who had no idea how to process my and many others documents, so they did nothing. I was finally able to get it tracked down after four months and then it still took them six weeks to process. You used to be considered lucky if they only lost it once. Though improvements have been made, I am not sure I am ready to fly my “we do it better than you flag” just yet.

As bad as the NMC is, I would like to see DP become a USCG license endorsement (thus limited to US citizens only). We need a semi-objective government agency in control over who can serve as a DPO in the US.

Also, there should be no waivers for foreign DPOs to work in the US.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;133557]As bad as the NMC is, I would like to see DP become a USCG license endorsement (thus limited to US citizens only). We need a semi-objective government agency in control over who can serve as a DPO in the US.

Also, there should be no waivers for foreign DPOs to work in the US.[/QUOTE]
too late, the cruise ship industry is already full of them

OSVOA will prove to the US government that a blind illiterate retard illegal alien with one leg is all they need to run an OSV…watch this space.
Next GoMSIC vessel class certification as ABS is not really suitable for OSV’s…is it?

GoMS(insert any vowel) C =Gulf of Mexico Seriously “Inferior” Class?
I feel sorry for you poor bastards trapped in the situation that you are in by corrupt business and government working hand in glove

The NI certification sceme is not as good as it could be and tt takes ages to process the paper work. Another party active on this market could be a good thing.

@tugsailor: sure, ban all foreigh DPO’s from the US, as long as the rest of the world bans US DPO’s from their waters as well. The few US ships that need DPO’s in the GOM will soon be fully crewed and the “foreigners” can take the DPO jobs in the rest of the world.

sounds good to me!

[QUOTE=Number360;133556]They once sent my private documents to a “tiger team” (paperwork factory). This was an approved outside facility …[/QUOTE]

It wasn’t an “outside facility.” They were contractors working in the REC.

I never had any issues with Ben he was a hell of a nice guy. He’s been the VP/COO Beier for a couple years now. He had worked for them prior to working at HOS.

OSVOA seems to be another self regulating industry. I guess that would be like the chicken processors deciding they didn’t need no stinking FDA. The chicken pluckers would decide if those chickens were good enough to eat. Normally I would say that a governmental organization would be the ones to vet mariners for DP but in this case that would be the USCG which is owned by the OMSA already so what difference does it make really? As someone already mentioned it will be up to the client whether or not to accept this certification. They probably will in the USA but outside the USA, who knows?

[QUOTE=tengineer1;133573]OSVOA seems to be another self regulating industry. I guess that would be like the chicken processors deciding they didn’t need no stinking FDA. The chicken pluckers would decide if those chickens were good enough to eat. Normally I would say that a governmental organization would be the ones to vet mariners for DP but in this case that would be the USCG which is owned by the OMSA already so what difference does it make really? As someone already mentioned it will be up to the client whether or not to accept this certification. They probably will in the USA but outside the USA, who knows?[/QUOTE]I agree that the AWO and OMSA with all their lobbists have excessive and undue influence in Congress and with the USCG, but so do the oil companies, drilling contractors, saftey industry, and others. Its very hard to put in a good word for the USCG when it is approving waivers for Filipino ABs to work in the US because there is a so-called shortage of American ABs. These OCS waivers are probably the most incompetent and corrupt thing that the USCG does. However, I think you go too far when you say: "the USCG which is owned by OMSA already . . . "