DP certification for DP operators who do not qualify as per NI standards

What are DP operator without OICNW doing to become certified ?

You can not be certified without holding a deck officer license . I’m thinking 200 ton is the smallest . People who already hold a DP certificate without a license do not lose it but no more will be issued . Look on the NI website for more info .

You are correct you must hold a minimum of a 200 tons license to be certified.

How important is it to have certification for DPOs without An OICNW rating?
Does the certificate prove competence ?

Straight from the NI page.

From 1st January 2012, The Nautical Institute will implement the following criteria for entry onto the DP Operators Training Scheme:

The Minimum qualification will be set at STCW Regulation II/1 - II/2 - II/3 Deck and Regulation III/1 – III /2 – III/3 Engine

Even engineers can be DPO’s.

L&G
Thank you very much for the replies.
However, I am very aware of the NI requirements.
I am asking if you feel that certification for DPOs without OICNW is needed in the industry?
Is a DP certificate from the NI needed to prove competence?
Have any of you been requested to show a DP certificate during a recent COC or other regulatory inspection?

Yes I have been asked to show proof I have it. The standards are regulated by the company you work for . I’m with ECO but it’s Shell that says we will have two DPO on watch at all times . One with unlimited certificate and one with at least basic DP . I under the impression all company’s are leaning this way .

[QUOTE=power230;83347]Straight from the NI page.

From 1st January 2012, The Nautical Institute will implement the following criteria for entry onto the DP Operators Training Scheme:

The Minimum qualification will be set at STCW Regulation II/1 - II/2 - II/3 Deck and Regulation III/1 – III /2 – III/3 Engine

Even engineers can be DPO’s.[/QUOTE]
read the bottom of that page
*Marine vocational qualifications from white list countries

[QUOTE=captamericas;83348]L&G
Thank you very much for the replies.
However, I am very aware of the NI requirements.
[B]I am asking if you feel that certification for DPOs without OICNW is needed in the industry?[/B]
Is a DP certificate from the NI needed to prove competence?
Have any of you been requested to show a DP certificate during a recent COC or other regulatory inspection?[/QUOTE]
I dont think its needed, I cant see how a blue water captain can call any shots on a drilling vessel except when he’s checking the expiry date on flare
Perhaps any basic navigation course is all that is required?
IMHO I can see US companies lobbying the USCG to make it so

[QUOTE=bryanx220;83351]Yes I have been asked to show proof I have it. The standards are regulated by the company you work for . I’m with ECO but it’s Shell that says we will have two DPO on watch at all times . One with unlimited certificate and one with at least basic DP . I under the impression all company’s are leaning this way .[/QUOTE]
Thats the IMCA guideline

[QUOTE=powerabout;83354]I dont think its needed, I cant see how a blue water captain can call any shots on a drilling vessel except when he’s checking the expiry date on flare
IMHO I can see US companies lobbying the USCG to make it so[/QUOTE]
I am not sure what blue water captain has to do with DP certifcation for Master of less than 200 get.
However from every indication I have read it looks like the USCG will not try to regulate DP domestically. I do aggree than it will up to industry to persue certification especially if the major oil companies want crew boat operators to have DP certs on DP vessels

[QUOTE=captamericas;83359]I am not sure what blue water captain has to do with DP certifcation for Master of less than 200 get.
However from every indication I have read it looks like the USCG will not try to regulate DP domestically. I do aggree than it will up to industry to persue certification especially if the major oil companies want crew boat operators to have DP certs on DP vessels[/QUOTE]

I have no idea whatsoever what you’re driving at but DP systems are operated from the bridge of a vessel be it crewboat or drillship and thus DP and OICNW are inextricably wed together. To be a DPO without OICNW is archaic and thankfully on the way out. If your opinion if otherwise then you are in a small minority that is soon to be relegated to the past.

My boat works for BP. BP requires 2 Dpo’s on the bridge at all times. At least 1 dpo must be unlimited the other must have at least the basic and advanced class. It appears that in the near future that all the big oil companies will require 2 dpo per watch.

The reason the NI says you need at the minimum a 200 ton license is because in the rest of the world a 100 ton license does not exist.

I hope they don’t get into trying to regulate it. That would just be one more thing they would have to try and figure out, like the rest of the licensing system.

*Marine Vocational qualification is a non-STCW Certificate of Competency issued by a white list Maritime Administration for use in the administration’s local waters only.

What does that have to do with what I said. I was just stating engineers can be dpo’s as well as deck officers. It’s a full dpo cert not for local waters.

[QUOTE=powerabout;83354]I dont think its needed, I cant see how a blue water captain can call any shots on a drilling vessel except when he’s checking the expiry date on flare
IMHO I can see US companies lobbying the USCG to make it so[/QUOTE]

DP operators are now required to hold a OICNW to become a certified DP operator…a

[QUOTE=captamericas;83359]I am not sure what blue water captain has to do with DP certifcation for Master of less than 200 get.
However from every indication I have read it looks like the USCG will not try to regulate DP domestically. I do aggree than it will up to industry to persue certification especially if the major oil companies want crew boat operators to have DP certs on DP vessels[/QUOTE]

Looks like you have missed to 80 page report the USCG has just sent to alot of DP vessels complete with checklists ect. As of right now it is voluntary and will only be looked at during a COC or COI but will not affect the issuance of the COC or COI. Give it a few years and it will be mandatory…

Yes. I did miss the 80 page document. Do you know if there is a link?
Thank you for the reply

[QUOTE=captamericas;83390]Yes. I did miss the 80 page document. Do you know if there is a link?
Thank you for the reply[/QUOTE]

Here is the link on the USCG site… The bottom being the inspectors checklists

https://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/ep/contentView.do?contentTypeId=2&channelId=-50161&contentId=418496&programId=349788&programPage=%2Fep%2Fprogram%2Feditorial.jsp&pageTypeId=13489&BV_SessionID=@@@@1960043855.1348345574@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadfhlfgjejlcfjgcfgfdffhdghl.0