USCG / MTS Guidance

Still a recommendation, but it looks like the new MTS Guidance will be the lawfor MODUs in the US. See 77 FR 26562.

In addition to the MTS guidance we need to get the assessment of DP personnel under USCG licensing. We should get away from the monopoly at the Nautical Institute. Furthermore, we should have only properly licensed OICNW DPOs on all DP MODUs in the OCS.

Why does the dpo need a license? As long as the modu has a properly licensed mate on watch at the same time why can’t the dpo (helmsman) be unlicensed?

I believe it is changing, but previously the only assessment required to become a DP certificate holder was a few entries in the DP log book. If the individual could retain for at least a few moments whatever the assessor required him to know he should be able to get a sign off. There was no test at the DP school after the four days that many guys could nearly sleep through.

It is my opinion, based on my experience as a DP watch stander on drill ships, that the cognitive abilities of the DP critical personnel be tested as strenuously as one would a 3rd mate.

We work 12-14 hours a day with a workload that would not allow for constant supervision: We are managing ballast, radar, weather, permits to work, fire and safety, etc. If the companies can get away with putting a warm body in the chair, they will.

A DP watch stander on a drilling vessel should be able to instantaneously recognize situations that could lead to incidents. They should be well suited for this type of work, focused and responsible.

I’m not saying that there are no ABs out there that fit the bill, there are plenty. All they should have to do is finish that assessment package, take a few classes and sit seven modules at the REC. For the money, that’s not too much to ask.

To enter the NI scheme now, one must have an OICNW certificate, as of January 1st.

I will say, I have worked with some unlicensed DPOs and would honestly take them over some of the ones that are being produced out of acedemies at this point.

I would agree that some guys from the academy certainly make poor DPOs. My point is that, IMHO, there should be a better way to ensure that guys like the buddies of the drilling superintendent who are looking for a cush job with no physical labor are not given the chance to sit the desk. Sure we can get quality guys from any background, I’m a hawser and don’t think I’m any worse than a grad. To be completely honest, I’d prefer to see the certification of DPOs go through flag state. I am not a big fan of having to go through NI. An endorsement on one’s MMC would be ideal. As far as non-mariners, how do you ensure that the roustabout turned DPO would understand everything we do.

Btw, I’ve never heard of the supposed roustabout turned DPO. It could be possible though if they had entered the scheme on Dec 31st.

No names here! I agree, because of who you know, should not always allow you to do or get what you want. But, unfortunately, that is the world we live in, especially in the offshore sector. Most companies now, will only hire licensed DPOs, there are some that are still trying to circumvent the rules, and are gettting by them, but for the most part, DPOs on up are licensed and will be.

[QUOTE=dgillum214;71287]Btw, I’ve never heard of the supposed roustabout turned DPO. It could be possible though if they had entered the scheme on Dec 31st.[/QUOTE]

I knew an Asst Driller turned ADPO, then turned back to AD.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;71289]I knew an Asst Driller turned ADPO, then turned back to AD.[/QUOTE]

I can see that very easily.

Hi guys, I have a question that is little off topic.
Under the new NI regulations, one have to prove that his entries in the DP logbook are correct by submitting the DP sea time letter. Is there any other way to verify it? that is acceptable by the NI?
I am not exactly on speaking terms with my previous employer?

[QUOTE=GYRO;71513]Hi guys, I have a question that is little off topic.
Under the new NI regulations, one have to prove that his entries in the DP logbook are correct by submitting the DP sea time letter. Is there any other way to verify it? that is acceptable by the NI?
I am not exactly on speaking terms with my previous employer?[/QUOTE]

I believe the log entries in your DP log book should suffice, no need for an extra sea time letter.

Unfortunately the rules did change on 1/1/12 …now you have to verify your DP entries in form of the DP sea time letter.

Thanks

And that sea time letter must be stamped by the company… With the company stamp!!

Roger that! But the question is: what you do when the former employer will not return your emails/calls because you left him for a better paying job?

Gyro, I had a similar prob a long time ago from TW. I sat in the office after they said the guy was too busy to help me out. I waited and kept asking the lady at the front desk to see if he was still busy. After a few hours they got tired of it and signed/stamped my seatime letter. Be polite but don’t take no for an answer. “ok then, well if you don’t mind I’ll just sit here and hope he frees up”

You right, but I still think that getting your Sea Time letter should be your right not a privilege…you know what I mean…I wonder is there anything about that in the CFRs ?

I don’t know what the right answer is, but I once had to use a method that worked.

I sent a “final request” for a sea service letter to the operations manager (with a copies to the company president, and the in-house counsel) by certified mail saying that it is an implied term of every employment agreement o with a seaman that a sea service letter will be provided and that this right is every bit as important as payment of wages. I further stated that if I did not receive the sea service letter within 10 days I would be left with no choice but to ask the USCG to conduct a hearing and subpena the vessels log book and the company’s records to determine the nature and extent of my sea service with the company. I also pointed out that type of company that would not honor its obligations to issue a sea service letter was probably the type of company that does not adhere to USCG regulations either, and that if such a hearing had to be held, it might come to light that the vessel was not always in full compliance with USCG regulations. I attached a copy of the letter that I was going to send to the USCG requesting the hearing. I promptly received an angry call from the operations manager saying that my sea service letter was on its way. I got the impression that the president of the company had just dressed him down for not doing his job and exposing the company to unnecessary risks and expenses.

If any company is refusing to issue sea service letters for current or former personnel, the name of the company should be posted here as a warning to the rest of us.