Oil on our doorstep

How many parameters a mariner can handle simultaneously without losing situational awareness ?

Since the 1990s, experimental psychologists have started experiments on the nature and limits of human multitasking. It has been shown multitasking is not as workable as concentrated times. In general, these studies have disclosed that people show severe interference when even very simple tasks are performed at the same time, if both tasks require selecting and producing action. Many researchers believe that action planning represents a “bottleneck”, which the human brain can only perform one task at a time.

Psychiatrist Edward M. Hallowell has gone so far as to describe multitasking as a “mythical activity in which people believe they can perform two or more tasks simultaneously as effectively as one.” Because the brain cannot fully focus when multitasking, people take longer to complete tasks and are predisposed to error. When people attempt to complete many tasks at one time or alternate rapidly between them, errors go way up and it takes far longer—often double the time or more—to get the jobs done than if they were done sequentially”. This is largely because “the brain is compelled to restart and refocus”. A study by Meyer and David Kieras found that in the interim between each exchange, the brain makes no progress whatsoever. Therefore, multitasking people not only perform each task less suitably, but lose time in the process.

Multitasking handled by conning officers …

Verifying the progress of the vessel:

• Heading alterations and adjustments, Rudder Angle Indicator, Speed vs. Squat and Interaction, Radar Indexing, ECDIS Positioning & AIS Information, Change of weather condition, Tides,

Communications:

• VTS Reporting and ETAs, broadcasted Notices to Mariners, Ship to Ship to Shore communications, disturbing Emergency Channels noises,

Traffic monitoring:

• Collisions avoidance, CPAs, TCPAs, Heading alterations and adjustments, Rudder Angle Indicator, Speed adjustments, APPA, ECDIS AIS, Communications with concerned traffic, Agreement and Decision making, Pleasure Crafts,

BMR:

• Experience, Formation degree and quality, Seamen Sense, Local Knowledge, Language and cultural differences, ISM Forms, Charts corrections, Tiredness, Boredness, WTF,

Etc.

So we can easily confirm that a maritime conning officer is facing substantial multitasking pressure. I am therefore not surprise that those accidents occur at the same pace as ever-increasing traffic, on board vessels larger than ever, proceeding in further congested and confined waters, as fast as possible and assisted by questionable foreign crew qualifications.

The days are close that such ports will have to be managed like airports. A pilot or a conning mate concentrated in piloting the vessel and a Port Traffic Controller that will enforce safe speed, sound distances between ships, priorities and so on.

And to add to what Topsail said, the office calling every 2 minutes asking dumb question that can wait, making sure the crew is on task, god forbid something in the ER is broke then you have to be on the phone with the office and bugging the engineer for status reports… Etc etc.

Carrying oil is risky business, companies face legal problems even if they are not at fault in an incident.

On Tuesday, however, the government notified Kirby that under federal law, it is the responsible party for the spill, said Greg Beuerman, a spokesman for the group of responders that includes the U.S. Coast Guard, the Texas General Land Office and Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, among others.

The designation means Kirby is responsible for the cleanup and is subject to provisions of the Oil Pollution Act, a 1990 law passed in response to the Exxon Valdez oil tanker spill in Alaska.

Kirby has to pay up regardless of fault and try to recover by legal means.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;134008]From:Barge firm faces long legal haul

Carrying oil is risky business, companies face legal problems even if they are not at fault in an incident.

Kirby has to pay up regardless of fault and try to recover by legal means.[/QUOTE]

Kirby wants to be the “responsible party” for the clean up because it gives them a lot of power to plan and direct the clean up. kirby’s focus will be “screw the oil, contain costs.” If someone else were the “responsible party” they might say "screw the costs, lets contain and recovery every drop of oil. there is a big difference between being the responsible party for doing the clean up, vs. being responsible for ultimately picking up the tab. Like most ship collisions, fault will probably be allocated between both vessels, and perhaps others.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;134013]Kirby wants to be the “responsible party” for the clean up because it gives them a lot of power to plan and direct the clean up. kirby’s focus will be “screw the oil, contain costs.” If someone else were the “responsible party” they might say "screw the costs, lets contain and recovery every drop of oil. there is a big difference between being the responsible party for doing the clean up, vs. being responsible for ultimately picking up the tab. Like most ship collisions, fault will probably be allocated between both vessels, and perhaps others.[/QUOTE]

Sure, understood. But the government going after Kirby is going to incur significant legal cost even if Kirby has zero responsibly. ( Perhaps not a likely scenario) .

BTW, what are the chances Kirby has fatigue issues in this case?

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;134029]Sure, understood. But the government going after Kirby is going to incur significant legal cost even if Kirby has zero responsibly. ( Perhaps not a likely scenario) .

BTW, what are the chances Kirby has fatigue issues in this case?[/QUOTE]

Certainly, this going to cost Kirby tens of millions of dollars. Given their size, Kirby probably has its own captive insurance company retaining quite a bit of the risk, but giving them direct access to the reinsurance market.

I have no idea about potential fatigue issues. I don’t know a thing about how Kirby manages its crews.

At least there is a plan in place with direction to start the containment and clean up. Some of us remember the cluster-f&@k the BURMAH AGATE was. Various government agencies wasted valuable time arguing over who was in charge.

[QUOTE=injunear;134032]At least there is a plan in place with direction to start the containment and clean up. Some of us remember the cluster-f&@k the BURMAH AGATE was. Various government agencies wasted valuable time arguing over who was in charge.[/QUOTE]

It’s important to limit the spread of oil and to protect sensitive habitats and so forth but how much oil can be recovered once it hits the water? These clean-ups are mostly theater for the public. Hire a fleet of clean up vessels and try to make sure any TV shots include crew diligently moving booms about.

http://gcaptain.com/new-audio-recording-reveals-mistakes-prior-to-houston-ship-channel-collision/

Miss Susan; “I’m looking at everything. I’m fixing to start to cross the intersection down to Bolivar. How do I look to you?”

note: “How do I look to you” … because I have no clue whatsoever at what’s going on and even less at what should I do !

Summer Wind; “Well, if you keep on going I’m going to get you, you’re less than ¾ of a mile and you’re ain’t in the channel yet”

Miss Susan; “All right, well, I’m glad I called you here all right, unless you want to cut her back a little bit”

Summer Wind; “I got her back, I put her on Dead Slow”

note: Summer Wind has quite a Dead Slow speed … 12.2 knots, in congested waters enclosed in 1 mile visibility !

I have seen that too often to direct a bemused who arrives like an elephant in a bowling game …

sounds like they didn’t talk to each-other in a narrow channel crossing situation until “3/4 mile” apart? Interesting.

Not looking great for Miss Susan.

It looks like even if the summer wind wasn’t there, she would’ve hit one of the two outbound vessels.

Im sure the Miss Susan is running rosepoint and an x-band radar, who both would show an extremis situation with the Summer wind well in advance. Why did she take that chance and try to run through to bolivar cut? Lots of factors, traffic, radio chatter and distractions heading through there, so who knows. Yes, it did look pretty close to the two tugs heading into bolivar cut as well.

I’d like to hear the previous five or so minutes!

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;134335]I’d like to hear the previous five or so minutes![/QUOTE]

I think this was the first contact. Looking at that red line, presumably the track, the Miss Susan was running almost parallel to the channel and then simultaneously swings to port and makes the call. Looking at the vectors it does look like the downbound vessel was involved as well.

Yes, I’d imagine running with the channel the CPA still would be very small and you’d see the vectors coming right at you, especially when coming out of that channel off the y. assuming you’re looking at the AIS/arpa. I imagine it would get ones attention when you’re glued to the Radar in restricted viz

I’d like to see what the Susan’s course was prior to that video as well. What they were doing before turning to cross the channel will play huge into what went wrong. Obviously the tug shouldn’t have crossed but that information will explain a lot of whether or not both guys weren’t paying attention.

Topsail has a terrible take on this situation. This is not what they said. Listen to the recording. Do not read this.

[QUOTE=z-drive;134340]I’d like to see what the Susan’s course was prior to that video as well. What they were doing before turning to cross the channel will play huge into what went wrong. Obviously the tug shouldn’t have crossed but that information will explain a lot of whether or not both guys weren’t paying attention.[/QUOTE]

You can see the track at 2:07

It looks to me like the Miss Susan was outbound in the Texas City Channel, she then swings NE as if to cross the Houston Ship Canal at a right angle. Next the Miss Susan turns to starboard to the SE. Another tun back to port, apparently to cross the channel is made more or less at the same time as the VHF call.