OICNW assessents

Is there a requirement for the size vessel I get them signed off on? I did a search on here and looked at the new policy letter and couldn’t find an answer. Talked to NMC and got two different answers. Any help would be great thanks everyone.

over 100grt is all that is needed to the best of my belief

Thanks capt.

The assessment has to be done on vessels 500 gt or more.

Where did you find this info?

sorry correction 200gt or more.
policy letter 11-07
section (b)
paragraph (8)
sub-paragraph i. or ii.

The way I read that it’s talking about who can sign the assessments off not the size vessel you have to be on.

[QUOTE=sailormike;75573]The way I read that it’s talking about who can sign the assessments off not the size vessel you have to be on.[/QUOTE]

Correct, the paragraph referenced above is about who can sign.
See NVIC 08-02, assesments are to be done on vessels of 500gt (which is 200grt by our domestic calculation). It makes sense to me because if one is being assesed as a OICNW on vessels >500gt, one should be demonstrating their KUPs on a vessel of that size.

[QUOTE=smasecheby;75571]sorry correction 200gt or more.
policy letter 11-07
section (b)
paragraph (8)
sub-paragraph i. or ii.[/QUOTE]

You know I was going to answer 200tons, but I know that the USCG basically tosses out everything below 100grt when it comes to any license over that tonnage so thought tonnage that would be the cut off…my goof

One lady at NMC said they had to be done on vessels over 200 grt on a oceans route and one lady said there was no restrictions on the vessel I got them signed off on as long as the person had the right license.