OICNW arpa assessments

Can a DE sign off on these assessments on a tug? We have a Furuno arpa radar but I’m not sure what is considered a stabilized arpa radar.

https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/NVIC/NVIC_2014/nvic_19-14_qualified_assessors_signed.pdf

[QUOTE=swamper;191330]Can a DE sign off on these assessments on a tug? We have a Furuno arpa radar but I’m not sure what is considered a stabilized arpa radar.[/QUOTE]

1. Does the ARPA have gyro input such that you can run in North Up mode?

2. What license does the person doing the assessing hold? (Being a Towing vessel DE is irrelevant to STCW assessments.)

3. Are you using the new assessments or old assessments?

4. What’s the tonnage of the tug? (I forget whether the tonnage matters for OICNW assessments.)

[QUOTE=swamper;191330] We have a Furuno arpa radar but I’m not sure what is considered a stabilized arpa radar.[/QUOTE]

Collision avoidance requires the input of own ship heading and speed. It can be either ground,(normally GPS) or sea stablized.

Usually somewhere on the radar screen own ship’s course and speed is displayed. It should indicate if it’s ground or sea stabilized.

For non-APRA radars there is gyro stablized which is heading input for north-up display.

Dead link

If you don’t know what a stabilized radar is, you are obviously not ready to be signed off on the assessments.

3 Likes

Excellent point.

Notwithstanding that the original question was asked almost a year ago, if the vessel doesn’t have an ARPA, you don’t need an endorsement valid for ARPA to work on it. If you want an endorsement valid for ARPA, you are going to need to take an ARPA course, and this assessment will probably be done there, and/or satisfied by taking the course. You might even learn what a stabilized radar is. As to the original question, if you are still looking for an answer, the OICNW NVIC (NVIC 12-14) explains who can sign assessments, and when.

2 Likes

I can sign assessments! We can also go over the OVID, CMID, DP Trials, ISM, ISPS, EMS and any other type of Audit/ Inspection needed! PM me for details.

Shameless Plug!