Oicew

I’m glad that this issue with obtaining STCW OICEW has come up. I’ve had a similar question about Mate and OICNW for a while.

OICNW Less Than 500 GT Oceans is governed by 46 cfr 11.319. Both the CFRs and the checklist have a table in them that states the entry path from a national Mate Oceans or NC of less than 500 GRT requires NO additional sea service under authority of the national endorsement.

Yes the table does state that training and assessments are required.

The training and assessments are spelled out in in the CFR prior to the table. But prior to the table, it also states that “(2) Provide evidence of having performed during the required seagoing service, bridge watchkeeping duties, under the supervision of an officer holding the STCW endorsement as master, chief mate, or OICNW, for a period of not less than 6 months. The Coast Guard will accept service on vessels as boatswain, able seaman, or quartermaster while holding the appropriate deck watchkeeping rating endorsement, which may be accepted on a two-for-one basis to a maximum allowable substitution of 3 months (6 months of experience equals 3 months of creditable service).”

So, when I read the table, it seems to state that you are automatically eligible for OICNW if you have your National Mate. But this one paragraph seems to contradict that, because it is possible to get mate without serving under supervision of another STCW endorsed officer.

Has anyone ever received OICNW through this path w/o serving under a STCW endorsed officer?