Offshore wind news

Offshore wind farm coming to the GoM?:

World’s biggest offshore wind farm requires state of the art shore based facilities as well:

How long before there will be US built vessels to install and support this ambitious program?

So fare there are a couple of CTVs in existence and one Installation vessel under construction for delivery in 2023.

MAYBE some of the existing MPSVs in the GoM could be converted to functioning SOVs??

GE is a major player in the Offshore Wind industry:

But their facilities that develop and construct Offshore Wind Turbines are in France, not in the US.

China also have some ambitious plans for developing Offshore Wind Farms around their coast, but the bring in what is needed to get it done while they build their own:

Here is a purpose built SOV at work:

Cable layers are in great demand for the moment;

PS> The Leonardo da Vinci is nearing completion at Vard Brattvåg Shipyard

This one will soon be head across the Atlantic for her first assignment:

PS> The Nexan Aurora is nearing completion at Ulstein Shipyard

The Offshore Wind industry is truly international:

1. An Italian company will lay cables in UK waters for a German developer. The vessel used was build in Romania, designed and outfitted in Norway.

2. A French company will lay cables in US waters for Norwegian and British developers. The vessel used was designed and built in Norway.

3. A Singapore company and the French division of a US company join forces to design, build and install the HVDC system for a wind farm in UK waters that will be operated by a German company.

We need to get the Jones Act extended to cable laying too.

Maybe banning any offshore activity within US EEZ if not every piece of equipment is “Made in USA” with US technology and by US citizens?

While you are at it, ban any US citizen from working outside the US and US firms from investing in any foreign ventures, or export US manufactured goods and technology to any foreign country.

PS> Farm products would have to be exempted, otherwise the farmers would invade Washington DC and dump manure outside the Capitol.

Spreading liked wild fires in California:

Take away the subsidies and reality sets in.

1 Like

Heerema is also getting more active in the Offshore Wind industry:
https://hmc.heerema.com/news-media/news/heerema-wins-in-wind-with-sofia-contract#:

‘Obscene’ windfarm subsidies revealed by new data

Lord Lawson: ‘This madness has to stop’

2 Likes

The high subsidies and higher electric bills for consumers are why US offshore wind should NEVER be built, UNLESS it’s all US manufactured wind turbines, installed and serviced by US flag vessels, that create many thousands of good paying American jobs.

The US is already energy independent. Offshore wind is not necessary, merely desirable.

The one source of alternative green energy that really makes sense in most parts of the US is rooftop solar. That creates lots of American jobs without any distribution challenges and it’s worth subsidizing.

Some power hungry industries would probably need VERY big roofs to satisfy their need.
What about street lights and the like?? No roof available.

What creates jobs isn’t one form of renewable power over others but rather the universal presence of cheap, reliable power. The fewer jobs it takes to generate and distribute power the cheaper the power will be.

What creates wealth and prosperity isn’t jobs, it is value adding. Entrepreneurs take a dollar input and turn it into two or ten out the other end. That’s not done by making lots of high paid jobs if it can be done by cheaper means eg robots, machines, fewer workers etc.

Using renewables as a means of creating jobs rather than creating wealth is simply going to increase power prices and those power prices affect the entire economy. Higher power prices invariably follow increased penetration of renewables into any power system. This is simply true wherever you look.

I’m in Australia and twenty years ago we had the cheapest power in the world and now it’s the most expensive. The cause? Renewables mandated by government and subsidised by higher power prices. I’ve just installed a larger set of solar panels on my roof and it generates more than I need in daylight hours but I only got it because the subsidies (paid by the government) slashed the capital costs. People who don’t have such panels and industry etc pay a higher supply charge as a result. Poor people suffer the most … but who in the renewables industry cares about them?

The other result is industry departs. Our aluminium refineries (which can consume about 10% of the total power) are shutting down or they get subsidised to overcome the stupidity of the higher power prices that causes them to close.

You should want cheap reliable power as an essential input of a national utility. And don’t tell me renewables are cheaper. It simply isn’t true because somehow you still need to generate 100% of the demand when the renewables decide to take a long rest.

1 Like

Renewables have a place in the total energy mix, but yes, they do cost more and can only be built with subsidies and higher electric rates.

The first rooftop solar house I built about a dozen years ago with a grid tied 8kw system cost $40,000 before subsidies, and $28,000 after subsidies. There is “net metering” where the electric company must buy power produced at the same retail price that they sell power that is consumed, but they get any excess production for free. That house has never had to pay a penny for energy, including heat, air conditioning, and charging a plug-in hybrid car. The house produces excess energy that the power company gets for free.

The next solar house that I built about four years ago, the same 8kw system cost $12,000 before, and $8,000 after rebates. That house has never had to pay a penny for electricity.

This net metering model works when only a relatively small number of houses have rooftop solar.

When better batteries are available at reasonable cost, it will be feasible for many houses to be off the grid entirely. Thus, it won’t be necessary to build ever larger power lines into rural areas.

2 Likes

Subsidies are higher here.

I was quoted $A8899 ($US5820) for a 6.6kW system before subsidies. I paid $A3500 ($US2289) last month. Our system requires the power companies to purchase Renewable Energy Certificates from wherever they can get them in-country to increase their percentage generation of renewable power to a set level.