Offshore slash and burn tactics

GOOD FUCKING LORD!

I thought the 80’s had been send down a memory hole

Ok C.Captain and/or mz cajaya, I have a question…

Please tell all of us where we should seek employment. NOT on OSVs in the GOM is a given, where does a career-minded individual go for personal satisfaction, continued growth and advancement, and job security?

And just for shits and giggles, tell us what a rating and license is worth. I recently became schooled about a dde 4000 not being worth any more than a qmed, but lets pretend. When we are out on the prowl, what is acceptable for compensation? Please share this knowledge you have, because all of us underlings not knowing what you know obviously is a reoccurring theme of animosity. Angry soliloquoys are not acceptable. Spell it out for all of us.

[QUOTE=Ctony;164825]Ok C.Captain and/or mz cajaya, I have a question…

Please tell all of us where we should seek employment. NOT on OSVs in the GOM is a given, where does a career-minded individual go for personal satisfaction, continued growth and advancement, and job security?/QUOTE]

easy…towing with a reputable company although you might have to do time with a gyppo operator long enough to build experience.

towing is here to stay through thick and thin

I agree…easier said than done though.

Become a pilot, you’re kind of protected like Jeaux, but without the headaches. You won’t get filthy rich but will make a good living and be home tons of the time.

If a person is able to pass the majority of the qmed tests, they can pass the dde 4000 test. That is common knowledge. They do have responsibilities and people the answer to (the CG) if things go wrong on a vessel that they are [I]covering[/I]. Having a dde 4000 (who is also a routiner )in charge of their own watch on a larger vessel that may have more electrical, and electronic equipment to me is a scary thing, considering there [I]is no electrical portion of the test[/I]. Also, as the [I]absolute[/I] overseer on an older vessel that may have more problems than a routiner is able to recognize.

I am no chief engineer unlimited myself, but I bothered to take training and try to educate myself on [I]how equipment works[/I]. And I never did learn the routine since I was never given my own watch or allowed to or given the chance to do so. People learn the “routine” from doing it, and being allowed to do it on a regular basis. A routiner who feels threatened by or rejected by a non-routiner is never going to “recommend them” to be in charge of their own watch. Ever.

So what about the unlicensed engineers on tugs and big line boats? Are they stupid because they never took any test at all? They must have learned their routine and they don’t know anything else.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;164845]So what about the unlicensed engineers on tugs and big line boats? Are they stupid because they never took any test at all? They must have learned their routine and they don’t know anything else.[/QUOTE]

Do they do the work themselves or to technicians do all the work?

Most of the ones I’ve spoke with never had the luxury of having a tech show up in BFE. Hell most of them had to have spare parts delivered via boat while the tug was underway.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;164847]Most of the ones I’ve spoke with never had the luxury of having a tech show up in BFE. Hell most of them had to have spare parts delivered via boat while the tug was underway.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. That is different. And a dde 4000 who only knows a [I]routine[/I] is different with a dde 400 from a tug or a person with no license from a tug that troubleshoots and does the work themselves. People learn from doing. Better if its a combination of some kind of training AND from doing.

I have encountered marine engineers on land who have no license or MMD at all, who can blow every marine engineer I have ever worked with out of the water in ALL categories.

I don’t know, maybe Joe Boss wants to keep people that way so that they won’t know how to do anything outside of their routine and won’t be much of an asset anywhere else.

Our engineers do their own work for the most part. They don’t usually dig into engines etc for internal repairs alone because of manpower and in some cases specialized tools but about everything else is DIY. There are Certain things you call a tech for various reasons: someone to blame, specialized tools, (we don’t keep an AC manifold onboard and refrigerant), shit to weld stainless, office doesn’t like us fucking around inside the switchboard. Normally he chief is on the phone with a rep or other engineer in the fleet 9/10 times rather than have a tech come out. The deal is you can call a tech all you want but good luck getting to the dock to see one.

So if the DDE 4000 is scary because he didn’t take an electrical test then how are the unlicensed tug or land tech smarter than the QMED?

[QUOTE=cajaya;164846]Do they do the work themselves or to technicians do all the work?[/QUOTE][QUOTE=Fraqrat;164847]Most of the ones I’ve spoke with never had the luxury of having a tech show up in BFE. Hell most of them had to have spare parts delivered via boat while the tug was underway.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cajaya;164849]Exactly. That is different. And a dde 4000 who only knows a [I]routine[/I] is different with a dde 400 from a tug or a person with no license from a tug that troubleshoots and does the work themselves. People learn from doing. Better if its a combination of some kind of training AND from doing.

I have encountered marine engineers on land who have no license or MMD at all, who can blow every marine engineer I have ever worked with out of the water in ALL categories.

I don’t know, maybe Joe Boss wants to keep people that way so that they won’t know how to do anything outside of their routine and won’t be much of an asset anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

Please refer to my previous posting.

cajaya you sailed tugs? you know first hand that tug chiefs are how you claim?

DDE 4000 doesn’t have an electrical module, however there are electrical questions in the general module. Anyone who thinks that passing the USCG exams is an exact reflection of their real world worth is mistaken. Think about some of those captains that can’t handle a boat to save their ass or can’t find where they are on a chart…and for engineers I can think off the top of my head of a guy I knew who didn’t realize his boat had two stroke engines. Anyway…

You are over the top generalizing people. Just because the company or companies you worked for enabled incompetency doesn’t mean the whole industry operates that way. If we all agreed with your twisted perspective would you have satisfaction?

[QUOTE=Ctony;164855]cajaya you sailed tugs? you know first hand that tug chiefs are how you claim?

DDE 4000 doesn’t have an electrical module, however there are electrical questions in the general module. Anyone who thinks that passing the USCG exams is an exact reflection of their real world worth is mistaken. Think about some of those captains that can’t handle a boat to save their ass or can’t find where they are on a chart…and for engineers I can think off the top of my head of a guy I knew who didn’t realize his boat had two stroke engines. Anyway…

You are over the top generalizing people. Just because the company or companies you worked for enabled incompetency doesn’t mean the whole industry operates that way. If we all agreed with your twisted perspective would you have satisfaction?[/QUOTE]

I have worked with former tug chiefs on OSV’s. One specifically who was a real pain and I wasn’t to fond of him due to his ego and lack of safety concern but the routiners didn’t want him there for the other reasons that I stated, and bad mouthed him to the office. He was the one that they sabotaged every time we went offshore.

It is not a twisted perspective. It is true. If he was a guy that used the internet, I am sure he would log on here and confirm it. I didn’t say it was the whole industry, I didn’t work on every vessel or every company in the industry. Obviously that would be impossible, but from my experience in general of the place…that seemed to be how things operated in general…on OSV’s anyway.

Seems like you are a person that just wants to keep the wool over your eyes. You can do that, if it suits you. I was only trying to clarify what was going on, and why maybe catastrophic accidents, huge breakdowns and delays are happening.

It seems to me that you just think I am a woman and can’t possibly know what I am talking about, but I will tell you I stepped on my first vessel 10 years ago. I know what I am talking about.

Oh drat it appears I’ve SABOTAGED this thread. I’m sorry I can’t help myself it’s all part of my daily routine. If love to stay and chat but I need to go do some battery maintenance while that electric start generator is offline.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;164857]Oh drat it appears I’ve SABOTAGED this thread. I’m sorry I can’t help myself it’s all part of my daily routine. If love to stay and chat but I need to go do some battery maintenance while that electric start generator is offline.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I realize it is a safety issue to try to do that why the generator is running encase somehow it dies and then tries to restart automatically at that exact moment(which is very unlikely), which was an afterthought for me, but that wasn’t the reason he stated. He really thought it needed the batteries to run.

[QUOTE=cajaya;164856]

Seems like you are a person that just wants to keep the wool over your eyes. You can do that, if it suits you. I was only trying to clarify what was going on, and why maybe catastrophic accidents, huge breakdowns and delays are happening.

It seems to me that you just think I am a woman and can’t possibly know what I am talking about, but I will tell you I stepped on my first vessel 10 years ago. I know what I am talking about.[/QUOTE]

No wool over my eyes. As I have stated before I’ve eaten shit plenty of times and have paid my dues to get to where I’m at. The difference between me and you is I see no point in dwelling over negativity. Instead of pissing and moaning I move on to the next company.

I know what I’m talking about too. Been working on boats more than half my life, a total of 22 years. I chose this career because first and foremost I love working on the water, and for the most part it is sustainable. I don’t let a few unfair experiences ruin my passion for it. Sorry I’m not in awe with your decade of experience in this industry. It has nothing to do with your gender, if you were a man my suggestion would be the same. Find another career and move on if you expect rainbows and unicorns.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;164857]Oh drat it appears I’ve SABOTAGED this thread. I’m sorry I can’t help myself it’s all part of my daily routine. If love to stay and chat but I need to go do some battery maintenance while that electric start generator is offline.[/QUOTE]
It was an afterthought that it might be a safety issue to do it while the generator was running encase it died and restarted automatically somehow at the [I]exact[/I] time that I was doing it (which is highly unlikely)…but that wasn’t the reason he stated. He said “No, it will die and we’ll loose power…that generator RUNS off the batteries”. Yup. And the chief who was lead on that boat agreed with him, and thought the same thing.

[QUOTE=Ctony;164861]No wool over my eyes. As I have stated before I’ve eaten shit plenty of times and have paid my dues to get to where I’m at. The difference between me and you is I see no point in dwelling over negativity. Instead of pissing and moaning I move on to the next company.

I know what I’m talking about too. Been working on boats more than half my life, a total of 22 years. I chose this career because first and foremost I love working on the water, and for the most part it is sustainable. I don’t let a few unfair experiences ruin my passion for it. Sorry I’m not in awe with your decade of experience in this industry. It has nothing to do with your gender, if you were a man my suggestion would be the same. Find another career and move on if you expect rainbows and unicorns.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I will…as a LAWYER. I certainly hope the number of women and minorities that got laid off is proportional to the amount these companies had working for them!!!