Offshore slash and burn tactics

Then don’t work for companies you don’t like. End of story, it’s your own fault for working at a shit company. Either deal with it or keep your complaints to yourself. We all know what sucks about certain companies or industries.

[QUOTE=Ctony;164581] job involves running a z-drive boat on the west coast and its not a god damned entry level position that does not require local knowledge.
[/QUOTE]
Diesel engines all have the same basic principals. It is not comparable.[QUOTE=Rafterman;164583]Control panel voltage might be what he was talking about? 24V DC Control panel.[/QUOTE]

He thought that if we disconnected the starting batteries to battery load test them that the generator would stop and we would loose power.

This was considered to be one of the best and “favored” engineers.

BTW battery load testing a starting battery with a 100 amp battery load tester is pretty much useless. To be honest, I usually pencil whipped it. For an accurate representation of how the battery is doing the battery load tester has to be rated for HALF OF THE COLD CRANKING AMPS of the battery.

[QUOTE=Ctony;164581]Tjob involves running a z-drive boat on the west coast and its not a god damned entry level position that does not require local knowledge.
[/QUOTE]

Diesel engines all have the same basic principals. It is not comparable.

[QUOTE=cajaya;164586]Diesel engines all have the same basic principals. It is not comparable.[/QUOTE]

This is great news.
Anybody out there on the job hunt, your credential speaks for itself. Ignore specific requirements such as ‘EMD experience’ or ‘tractor tug experience.’ Your response while getting interviewed regarding specifics should be 'deisel engines are all basically the same and so are boats. There’s a pointy end and a square end, and the pointy end goes first. ’

Great news with all my Cat/EMD experience I should be able to rebuild a Man B&W or Sulzer.

Please refer to my previous posting about the engineer that could name the make and model of every engine on all the boats he worked on but thought that the generator would STOP if we disconnected the starting batteries because that was where it got its power. He knew that that was what hr and office types wanted to hear, so that was what he learned.

[QUOTE=cajaya;164590]Please refer to my previous posting about the engineer that could name the make and model of every engine on all the boats he worked on but thought that the generator would STOP if we disconnected the starting batteries because that was where it goes its power. He knew that that was what hr and office types wanted to hear, so that was what he learned.[/QUOTE]

I get your point on that. That kind of scenario can happen anywhere though. The GOM bashing that goes on here blows me away. I don’t understand how unfair business and hiring practices became synonomous with only GOM companies. All of my union experiences have had similiar outcomes. When you find the perfect work environment and/or company that has the best benefits, pay, equipment and job security, please pass it on. I hope as you pursue your career you learn to get over these common pitfalls you’ve had to endure, because there’s plenty of bullshit to wade through on the path to glory. That’s life!

I don’t have a problem with the GoM. I just think they need to change their ways if they want to keep people who look out for the best interest of the boat and whats its operations are instead of people that are looking out for the best interest of themselves.
These guys that are “friends” with the people in the office, are the first ones to fuck up operations, sabotage equipment and other people, cause the boat to go back in because “their DP went out”, or “something is wrong with the generator” yea something like they disconnected some wires so they could go back in. I will write another blog about that.
It’s their own “friends”. Some of these companies have serious management problems and they don’t even know it. And they need to have engineers in management, and I’m not talking their bayou engineers or their “friends” that BS them.

I’m sure a lot of us can relate and even agree with some of, if not all your experiences. However, it is really toxic and you need to carry on. Life is too short to dwell on it.
It appears from your blog that you are a qmed? If that’s true, why not get your DDE 4000 since it is the ‘same’ test according to you? Do you recall claiming you were an unlimited master and unlimited chief in a past thread on here?

I said that to emphasize how ridiculous it is to talk about your rank on the internet.

ENOUGH! Let us please get back to the subject at hand which is bashing the Bayoo Bosses and not fellow members regardless of their obtuse posts!

[QUOTE=c.captain;164598]ENOUGH! Let us please get back to the subject at hand which is bashing the Bayoo Bosses and not fellow members regardless of their obtuse posts![/QUOTE]

C.captain, first of all I respect your old school values and lack of tact.
Secondly, I wasn’t bashing cajaya…I was just trying to make aware that her angry ramblings aren’t exactly helping her cause. I just feel perpetuating your distaste for the GOM working environment/culture has ran its course. We all know how you feel about it and know your stance. Not that my opinion means a flying fuck, just saying. I enjoy this forum because I feel for the most part there are like-minded mariners on here just exchanging interesting info, albeit some of it trivial. The constant Jeaux Bawse/Union debate is getting old. Sure, I can just stop visiting the forum if it bothers me that much. But arguing over this subject over and over again is like getting reacquainted with an ex girlfriend. The first couple days are great but it doesn’t take long to remember why you broke up.

Yes its a pretty fucked up environment for a woman. Either you have to screw around at work and risk losing your job, or refuse to and risk losing your job anyway from what will be said about you to the coordinators. I’m not gonna lie, it’s pretty fucked up.

And if you are a man, you have to pretend to not know how to do anything otherwise get run off and have your work sabotaged, and have bad things said about you to the coordinators.

Yes its a pretty fucked up environment for a woman. Either you have to screw around at work and risk losing your job, or refuse to and risk losing your job anyway from what will be said about you to the coordinators.

And if you are a man, you have to pretend to not know how to do anything otherwise get run off and have your work sabotaged, and have bad things said about you to the coordinators.

HELL!..if we just bash Jeaukx Bawse instead I’ll be happy as a pig in shit!

I work in the wheelhouse and can tell you the make and model of every engine and generator engine for every boat I have ever worked. This is about 40 vessels over my 25 years at sea.

According to her blog, she has a DDE Unlimited. So if a DDE 4000 is just a QMED because they take “basically the same test”, then what is a DDE Unlimited that takes [B]EXACT[/B] same test as the DDE 4000? As for a DDE ordering around a QMED, an officer is an officer. A DDE 1000 with a whopping 6 months experience can order around a QMED with 35 years experience. That is the nature of a hierarchy, and it is in every sector of the marine industry, not just the GOM.

Just killing you ain’t it …

Bank to your orginal past C. Captain, most every company have taken 30% pay cuts either directly or through cuts in time. Our AB’s have then roughly 60% pay cut through reduction in time. This is after the massive lay offs.

Roumer is one of the bigger companies have have taken almost 50% cuts and they take another cut when the boats not working.

I know HOS and Seacor have had layoffs along with a few smaller companies.

So your “prediction” has already happened and in fact is much worse for most of us.

if 50% of rigs have stopped working thats got to be 50% crew gone
To pay for the idle equipment there is your remaining crews pay cuts which wont just happen once as this grim time goes on