Off-topic from Tanker owner ordered to pay $44 million

This kind of cases may be why shipping companies are reluctant to hire American seafarers (unless they are forced to)

A Marine Survey company I have done a lot of work for sent out a circular to inform all their Surveyors worldwide of a case happening in the US
A Surveyor from their Houston office had carried out a Condition Survey on a drilling rig in the the GoM. A year later they found themselves being sued in a case where an offshore worker had slipped in the shower and injured his back. The Survey company was sued because the fact that there were no hand holds in the shower stall was not mentioned in the survey report.

Sorry, I don’t know the outcome of the case, but the circular was sent to warn Surveyors of the ridiculous claims that may be made under the cover of the JA.

2 Likes

Many years ago there was a British television series called Misleading Cases. One of the ones I remember is a collision between a car and a dinghy on a flooded roadway. I can’t remember who the judgement favoured.

Really? A couple of years back this was just the opposite. You are WRONG. Suggest that you “change the wavelength on your tin foil cap”.

Unfortunately (unfortunate because they are foreign owned companies instead of US one’s) there are mostly Foreign Owned companies benefiting greatly from the MSP- reflagging foreign vessels and using strictly US Seafarers.

Lastly- your obvious anti-US Seafarer rants are tiresome- and you are an absolute boor. Many of us take great exception to your anti-US sentiment and wish you would take it elsewhere… Do us a favor and consider finding another avenue to troll- I for one stay away from GCaptain specifically because of your crap.

2 Likes

Yes US subsidiaries of foreign shipping companies own and operate most of the MSP vessels. Why??
If they want to benefit from the generous subsidies offered they are force to use US flag and US crews.

That is unfortunate. If you can’t handle my “crap” just don’t open and read any of my posts.
You can still enjoy all the other crap, especially anything that agrees with your points of view.

PS> If you stay away, how come you appear to reply to me quite frequently?
Not that I complain about that, every reply and opinion is welcome, even those that don’t agree with me.

That’s impossible since you comment on nearly every thread everyday.

4 Likes

That 80/20 split decision brought back memory from my last year at Maritime School;
The class was required to attend the proceedings in a public maritime accident enquiry (sjøforklaring)
PS> No longer applicable from 2021, (https://www-batmagasinet-no.translate.goog/allerbm/siste-reis-for-sjoforklaringer/664041?_x_tr_sl=no&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US)

Our case was a collision between two fishing boats in the North Sea. One was drifting while the crew was resting, while the other had been in port to deliver her catch and heading back to the fishing grounds.
Both vessels were from the same island (Remøy) and nearly all crewmembers had last name Remøy. (Many were related) This caused some problems for the administrator and his staff.

The one that was drifting showed one white light and had a fisherman on watch in the wheelhouse.

The other vessel had a temporary “Bestman” (Eqv. to Mate) on duty in the wheelhouse, with one fishermen at the wheel, showing normal steaming lights for a vessel of her size.

The vessel underway hit the drifting one broad side, causing the other vessel to flood in the fish hold.
The two vessels stayed connected and the crew of the holed vessel climbed over to the other vessel.
When they broke apart the holed vessel capsized and sunk.

PS> Nobody got physically hurt. (Emotional trauma hadn’t been invented yet in 1968)

Sounds like a straight forward case; a vessel underway hit and sink a vessel drifting in open waters.
The vessel underway is the culprit and the other the innocent victim, right??

Not so easy. the Enquiry found that the drifting vessel had 20% of the blame because the only person on watch was a young fishermen, not a certified Watchstander, or an experienced fishermen in lieu.
The fact that they showed only one round white light, not the prescribed three red of a vessel not under command.

The steaming vessel got 80% of the blame, also because the temporary Bestman (Mate) was not a qualified Watchstander, but an experienced fisherman that had taken over the position when the Bestman had to attend to a family crisis.
The rules said that; if the Bestman became incapacitated at sea a qualify fisherman could fill his position UNTIL the vessel reached port. In this case they had LEFT port.

It got a little hilarious when the temp. Bestman gave his statement; “at xxxx hrs. I saw a white light and xx minutes later we hit the white light”.

PS> They all became friends and family again shortly after reaching home. People at Remøy is used to things happening at sea and do not hold a grudge for long.

So…
You’re basing your opinion on a case you saw in 1968, and not the current case?

1 Like

Plenty of posts about things that is strictly of interest to US mariners for you to enjoy. I just jump over those. You are welcome to do the same with my posts, if my opinions and a different point of view annoy you.

No I’m not, but this cases reminded me of the case in Norway back than.
Lot of similarities to be found, incl. incompetence and lack of command and situation awareness.

Are you trolling me??
Since you obviously understood the context, did you posted your comment just to annoy me?
In that case you succeeded.

Ombugge doesn’t annoy me as much as he seems to annoy others. I consider him a devils advocate often but on occasion he does bring useful information. I also have the option to ignore his posts and do so when he’s just trying to entertain himself by stirring the pot. But I do wonder now that the weather is good in his home if he doesn’t have anything better to do? Hope he’s doesn’t devolve into another old man pissed off at the state of the world whose only friend is a computer.

3 Likes

I have to agree. He shows a degree of bigotry but in all fairness a number of his complaints are valid. However ugly and unbecoming such biases are in grown men, I’ve seen worse at soccer games in the UK.

1 Like

I’m a little surprised that the folks who created the bent banana laws would find this ironic.

The company was British. I didn’t know UK had any “bent banana laws”??
Or bananas for that matter. I thought the only country in Europe that grew bananas were Iceland.

I was referring to the exhaustive and comprehensive amount of EU legislation (which may or may not still be in force in the UK) concerning the bend angles in degrees to which all bananas must be measured to be imported in the EU. I always assumed these were silly superannuated laws that nobody actually enforced, but there are too many pictures of protractor-weilding EU ag inspectors.
Point being, ridiculous lawfare exists everywhere.

I never heard of a mandatory bend angle for bananas.
However, the mandatory bend angle limitation of cucumbers was often ridiculed in the EU.
(…we don’t have real, pressing problems to be addressed?)

This MAY help to clarify:

If anybody care about clarity, that is.

2 Likes

The only bananas growing in the European part of the EU are on the Crete Island (Greece):
and on the Canary Islands (Spain).
However, I ignore the bend angle of these bananas.

The Iceland thing is more curious than natural…

1 Like

I bought some bananas the other day that was almost straight.
Weird, but they didn’t taste any different that I could detect.

Were they smuggled behind the backs of the EU’s angle police who believe that if the curve ain’t right the taste ain’t right. Is this yet another of your veiled attempt at discrediting the US just because they disregard the urgent need to measure banana angles?!? Apparently not since you detected no change. Why is that weird?

It appears that the UK weren’t the only place persecuted by interfering fruit straighteners.