No job opportunity for Ultra Deep Drilling experienced DPO

Hi, I currently have my unlimited DP license (since 2008) and 2/M license in place. I have been part of the drilling industry since 2010 & have had the opportunity to work on Semi Sibs and drill ships in the capacity of DPO & SDPO clocking around 13,000 DP desk hours.
I had taken a sabbatical from Offshore for about a year now and have been trying to find a job since the last one month. Though I did a hitch as a freelancer through one of the Manning agencies about 3 months back.
I presumed that since I have experience working on Drill Ships & Semis finding a job would not be a challenge. But Surprisingly I am not able to find a single job opportunity out there. I was wondering what could be the reason for the same. Any suggestions??

1. industry slowdown

2. companies with lots of qualified people already in place

3. no new slug of drillships or rigs remaining to be delivered

4. sorry

Loos like you’ll have to become mud boat trash… Sorry about your luck.

[QUOTE=nee0912;147612]Hi, I currently have my unlimited DP license (since 2008) and 2/M license in place. I have been part of the drilling industry since 2010 & have had the opportunity to work on Semi Sibs and drill ships in the capacity of DPO & SDPO clocking around 13,000 DP desk hours.
I had taken a sabbatical from Offshore for about a year now and have been trying to find a job since the last one month. Though I did a hitch as a freelancer through one of the Manning agencies about 3 months back.
I presumed that since I have experience working on Drill Ships & Semis finding a job would not be a challenge. But Surprisingly I am not able to find a single job opportunity out there. I was wondering what could be the reason for the same. Any suggestions??[/QUOTE]

Was your sabatical enforced or voluntary? The way the US economy has been for the past 6-7 years it would seem that if one had a job… it would be best to keep it. There have also been a lot of articles about companies (not just maritime/drilling) not wanting to hire the unemployed… Sounds weird… but I guess they figure that the companies who laid off may have kept their better performers and the longer you have been “out of a job”… the greater chance that there is something wrong with you as a potential employee.

That being said, have you been in touch with any of your old employers? You seem to have been in the industry long enough to make some personal contacts and some of your old colleagues might be able to turn you on to a job.

See C.Captain’s very succinct reply… hiring is a little slow right now… but people ARE being hired… right place and time and all that jazz.

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;147680]Loos like you’ll have to become mud boat trash… Sorry about your luck.[/QUOTE]

even that sector is saturated with qualified people and plenty of posts here indicating no hiring taking place there either…

like with all booms, what goes up cannot keep going up forever…the important thing to hope for is that the job market doesn’t turn into a rout where companies shed workers flooding the market with unemployed mariners all chasing the few openings there are. I am still predicting wages going south once shareholders demand the companies cut spending. The workforce does not have a strong hand to play once that starts. They will just have to suck it up and hope that wages return to their over inflated levels once good times return.

Looks like I should have taken celestial instead of DP. Big Money down the drain.

Oh well.

[QUOTE=Saltgrain;147693]Was your sabatical enforced or voluntary? The way the US economy has been for the past 6-7 years it would seem that if one had a job… it would be best to keep it. There have also been a lot of articles about companies (not just maritime/drilling) not wanting to hire the unemployed… Sounds weird… but I guess they figure that the companies who laid off may have kept their better performers and the longer you have been “out of a job”… the greater chance that there is something wrong with you as a potential employee.

That being said, have you been in touch with any of your old employers? You seem to have been in the industry long enough to make some personal contacts and some of your old colleagues might be able to turn you on to a job.

See C.Captain’s very succinct reply… hiring is a little slow right now… but people ARE being hired… right place and time and all that jazz.[/QUOTE]

I was laid off a couple years ago (2012). Said to myself, enjoy the time off as I had my house paid for and money saved. Deep down, I think all that time off scared away employers, oh well.
Been looking for work and working shoreside, but hope things pick up.

[QUOTE=Doodlebug;147720]I was laid off a couple years ago (2012). Said to myself, enjoy the time off as I had my house paid for and money saved. Deep down, I think all that time off scared away employers, oh well.
Been looking for work and working shoreside, but hope things pick up.[/QUOTE]

Unlimited license holder, NI certified, thousands of hours logged on MODUs and laid off in 2012? That seems really strange.