NMSV Academy ships

Bold of Philly Shipyard to share progress photos when they are behind schedule on the first delivery. Of course SUNY scrapping the ES VI before recieving the new ship was also a boneheaded move. I wonder who made that call and if they still have a job on campus…?

I doubt it was anybody on campus. MARAD owns the VI so I would imagine that was a decision made somewhere else.

1 Like

Fair, it may have been the higher ups. Just hard to believe anyone had that much faith in a US shipyard with a Gov. contract to deliver on time.

5 Likes

That we can agree on.

2 Likes

Hopefully they figure a few things out and have more accurate scheduling with the next one. Maybe too optimistic though.

1 Like

From what a close friend tells me, several senior officers did tell MARAD they thought it was a bad idea to toss the VI so quickly, but were brushed off.

I’ve heard quite a few amusing stories from that ship about how patently stupid MARAD and their surveyors were capable of being.

2 Likes

Well, at least the .gov boondoggles and incompetence are consistent!

1 Like

I mean, of course.

I’m pretty sure Morgan delivered a drilling rig or two. He knows all about shipyard shenanigans.

2 Likes

My favorite story one of the permanent crew told me was when their shipboard incinerator arrived on the pier still crated up the MARAD surveyor ordered them to rip it open. They advised him several times that it was a bad idea to do so and that they should wait for the rep and installers — he angrily overruled.

As they were in the process of tearing it open and looking at the contents the manufacturer’s rep arrived for the installation. He took one look at what they were doing and said flatly “welp… there goes your warranty.”

They all looked at the MARAD surveyor who just stood there in silence chewing his own lip.

5 Likes