NMC Policy Letter No 12-01 - Clarification Needed

Re: CONTINUING COMPETENCY IN BASIC SAFETY TRAINING (BST)
31 October 2001 - (Google “NMC Policy Letter 12-01” to see the letter).

I have a question about whether a seaman who holds a valid original MMC, with BST/STCW, has a BST which is good for the ENTIRE 5 year duration of his MMC.

Is he still subject to the confusing provisions of this (pre-MMC) 2001 USCG letter which require him to produce documentation of 12 months seatime, with continuously advancing critical and boundary dates, during the ENTIRE 5 year duration of his MMC? Or is his BST valid for the entire 5 year duration?

In other words, has this 2001 letter been superceded for demonstrating continuing BST competency and are its requirements applicable ONLY for renewal?

Thanks,
Howard

Your STCW is valid through the expiration date of your MMC. That letter only defines recency and determines whether you have to retake BST prior to renewing your credential to keep STCW

See also Policy Letter 08-03 and NVIC 4-97. The STCW may be valid beyond the expiration date of your MMC. For the most part, a sea service letter from the company addresses whether or not there is continued competency.

Example 1: MMC with BST issued in January 2010. Individual sails for two years and then takes a shore side job, doesn’t sail again. The BST would expire in Jan 2017 while the MMC would expire in Jan 2015.

Example 2: MMC with BST issued in January 2010. Individual sails continuously for the 5 year period of their MMC. BST would expire in Jan 2020 while the MMC would expire in Jan 2015.

[B]Many thanks to all who responded![/B]

[B]Howard[/B]

Note that the required days must be served “Beyond the boundary line” ie NC or Oceans. I had to retake in spite of continuous service due to much of the time being Inland.

Because beyond the boundary line the water is wetter or some nonsense.

[QUOTE=dougpine;52598]Because beyond the boundary line the water is wetter or some nonsense.[/QUOTE]

It was damn sure a different color most of the time.

I guess they think we stop doing drills and training when we are inside?