NMC now requiring a 200 ton certifiecte for Mate of Towing…

The NMC is now requiring a 200 ton upgrade course completion certificate in addition to the requirements listed in the CFR for mariners with a 100 ton license. As anyone else heard of this?

[QUOTE=HooliganMariner;158188]The NMC is now requiring a 200 ton upgrade course completion certificate in addition to the requirements listed in the CFR for mariners with a 100 ton license. As anyone else heard of this?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. The course is for the required exam. You don’t have to take a course, but if you don’t you have to take an exam at an REC.

I don't have the letter with me from NMC but it says I need to take the exam or course for 200. Why, it's not in the Cfr or checklist? They also won't count my army corps of engineers sea time because army boats don't have a state registration or CG documentation number...

Here is what the letter said. I took the apprentice mate class at cmti and submitted certificate with the other required documentation. I presently have master 100 NC.

The Apprentice Mate (Steersman) course that you submitted cannot be used for Mate Pilot
Inland. The course requires that you complete the following:
Any applicant successfully completing your 12-hour Apprentice Mate (Steersman) Upgrade
course and presenting your Certificate of Training within one year of the completion of
training, will satisfy the examination requirements of 46 CFR 10.205(i) for original issuance
or 46 CFR 10. 209(c)(iii) for renewal of a license as Apprentice Mate (Steersman) of
Towing Vessels or Master or Mate (Pilot) of Towing Vessels (Near Coastal or Inland)
provided that they either 1. Hold a license as Master Not More Than 150 or 200 Gross
Tons OR 2. Hold a license as Master Not More Than 25, 50, or 100 Gross Tons and have
completed your 50–hour Upgrade Master Not More Than 100 Gross Tons to Master Not
More Than 200 Gross Tons course within one year of completion of the Apprentice Mate
course OR 3. Have completed both your 80-hour Master Not More Than 100 Gross Tons
course and your 50-hour Upgrade Master Not More Than 100 Gross Tons to Master Not
More Than 200 Gross Tons course within one year of completion of the Apprentice Mate
course.

If you beleive the NMC is wrong, you can ask for a reconsideration of their decision, and if you disagree with the results of that, you may appeal. In another post you mentioned you are using a license consiultant, they can tell you how the appeal process works and what you need to submit.

[QUOTE=HooliganMariner;158209]Here is what the letter said. I took the apprentice mate class at cmti and submitted certificate with the other required documentation. I presently have master 100 NC.

The Apprentice Mate (Steersman) course that you submitted cannot be used for Mate Pilot
Inland. The course requires that you complete the following:
Any applicant successfully completing your 12-hour Apprentice Mate (Steersman) Upgrade
course and presenting your Certificate of Training within one year of the completion of
training, will satisfy the examination requirements of 46 CFR 10.205(i) for original issuance
or 46 CFR 10. 209©(iii) for renewal of a license as Apprentice Mate (Steersman) of
Towing Vessels or Master or Mate (Pilot) of Towing Vessels (Near Coastal or Inland)
provided that they either 1. Hold a license as Master Not More Than 150 or 200 Gross
Tons OR 2. Hold a license as Master Not More Than 25, 50, or 100 Gross Tons and have
completed your 50–hour Upgrade Master Not More Than 100 Gross Tons to Master Not
course OR 3. Have completed both your 80-hour Master Not More Than 100 Gross Tons
course and your 50-hour Upgrade Master Not More Than 100 Gross Tons to Master Not
course.[/QUOTE]

I finally spoke with my consultant and he advised the problem isn’t with the CFR or NMC but the course approval for the apprentice mate course I took. He is asking the NMC for an extension past the 90 days so that I can complete the 50 hr upgrade to 200 ton that this apprentice mate course is supposed to go hand in hand with. I’m taking that course June 15 so that should rectify my problem. Thanks for your feedback.