Nice to FINALLY be able to get back on here!

I tried it again tonight and I was finally able to log back on here. It’s been a long time that I haven’t been able to get access to like or make comments. I’ve been checking in every so often anyways.

Sad to say, I’ve also been laid off like so many others. I can’t even find work as a deckhand. Looking since I got laid off in September. I’m going to take a break for a while and learn how to do something different. I’m going to take the TEFL course in Mexico and learn how to teach English. Maybe someone down there will need help with their yacht?

I HATE even to think of giving up sailing. I’ve never done anything other than work at sea. But I can’t afford to stay here on a minimum wage job and those are the only ones hiring that I’m qualified for on the beach.

Anybody else finding other options?

[QUOTE=JP;177712]Anybody else finding other options?[/QUOTE]

I say that everybody needs to give self employment/small business entrepreneurship a try at least once in life.

not easy to say the very least but it is nice not having a boss and making it on one’s own efforts. I’ve have just started my third year with my business and while it is a long way from thriving, I am surviving.

2 Likes

Good to hear that your biz is surviving. I agree with you. I’ve tried 2-3 times to make it on my own in small business. Failed every time. But I’d do it again if the opportunity presents itself.

[QUOTE=JP;177712]I tried it again tonight and I was finally able to log back on here. It’s been a long time that I haven’t been able to get access to like or make comments. I’ve been checking in every so often anyways.

Sad to say, I’ve also been laid off like so many others. I can’t even find work as a deckhand. Looking since I got laid off in September. I’m going to take a break for a while and learn how to do something different. I’m going to take the TEFL course in Mexico and learn how to teach English. Maybe someone down there will need help with their yacht?

I HATE even to think of giving up sailing. I’ve never done anything other than work at sea. But I can’t afford to stay here on a minimum wage job and those are the only ones hiring that I’m qualified for on the beach.

Anybody else finding other options?[/QUOTE]

Which school(s) in Mexico? I’ve been thinking about that too.

As I recall, you are an unlimited Master and DPO?

Try the Harley Marine companies. They have recently posted afew shoreside jobs from Seattle to LA, to Houston, to NY. As far as I can tell, most of Harley’s seagoing jobs don’t really exist, but I get the impression that the shoreside jobs do.

I have not seen any ads from Crowley for awhile, but they often seem to be looking for shoreside personnel. Signet is another company that was looking for shoreside managers.

Another thing to consider is paying off all debt and doing gig or relief work. My job allows me time to do a lot of other things.

1 Like

I’ve been juggling work for 3 onshore jobs and at least 5 offshore agencies. Problem is, even with all of that put together, I have been struggling to pay the bills. Thank goodness I had already paid down much of my debt and had a lot of savings built up.
Things seem to be picking up lately. I can’t wait for offshore to come back! Shoreside work is not for me.

Why the difficulty going back to sea? I used to sail with MSC and am starting the process of applying again. Can’t do much until passport arrives. Is my effort in vain? I was an OS. Then worked as registered nurse (on land). But have had enough and want to go back to sea. Any advise ?