New STCW courses after January 1st

12/31/2016

[QUOTE=jdcavo;189184]That application has to get approved. You can’t just submit an application before 12/31/2016 and take the required courses or get more sea time after. You have to meet all requirements except testing by 12/31/2016.[/QUOTE]

If all requirements are submitted before 12/31/16 but it doesn’t get looked at and/or approved until after the first of the year due to processing backups does it still get approval under the old system/requirements?

I applied for master 500 NC and mate 1600 NC and it was approved. I will test soon… If I get the oceans upgrade after 12/31/16 will I have to go through the additional STCW training at that time? Trying to get OICNW 500-3000GT

[QUOTE=jdcavo;189052]You can renew at any time during the validity of the MMC and up to one year after it expires. If you renew early in 2016, you won’t need to meet the renewal requirements that take effect on January 1, 2017 until your next renewal, which could be as late as 2021 or 2022.[/QUOT

I can’t believe this is the first time I heard about this. What are the new things required for renewal of are STCW? I have renewed my MMD 2 years ago and just wrote on the application renewal of all endorsements and I was done. Should I renew it again now even though its not due for another 3 years just to buy more time?

[QUOTE=jdcavo;189184]That application has to get approved. You can’t just submit an application before 12/31/2016 and take the required courses or get more sea time after. You have to meet all requirements except testing by 12/31/2016.[/QUOTE]

Have completed the L&M and ECDIS classes, submitted the certificates to the NMC, and they issued a new MMC. All I will be doing is submit my renewal by the end of the year.

[QUOTE=SeaMonkey6969;189257][QUOTE=jdcavo;189052]You can renew at any time during the validity of the MMC and up to one year after it expires. If you renew early in 2016, you won’t need to meet the renewal requirements that take effect on January 1, 2017 until your next renewal, which could be as late as 2021 or 2022.[/QUOT

I can’t believe this is the first time I heard about this. What are the new things required for renewal of are STCW? I have renewed my MMD 2 years ago and just wrote on the application renewal of all endorsements and I was done. Should I renew it again now even though its not due for another 3 years just to buy more time?[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget to send your latest radar certificate in, too.

[QUOTE=SeaMonkey6969;189257]I can’t believe this is the first time I heard about this. What are the new things required for renewal of are STCW? I have renewed my MMD 2 years ago and just wrote on the application renewal of all endorsements and I was done. Should I renew it again now even though its not due for another 3 years just to buy more time?[/QUOTE]

You need to consider your options and make your own call on whether it is better for you to renew early.

[QUOTE=workingirish;189239]If all requirements are submitted before 12/31/16 but it doesn’t get looked at and/or approved until after the first of the year due to processing backups does it still get approval under the old system/requirements?[/QUOTE]

I have the same question. I’ll have just completed all the requirements for C/M (other than the exam) on December 23rd, if I get everything sent off that day, will PL04-02 or NVIC 10-14 apply?

And I only care about that because I’m taking one class at MTP, and apparently they’re not approved under NVIC 10-14 yet…

This is refr. to Australian requirements, but may be relevant for US as well?: http://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/seafarers-urged-to-renew-international-stcw-certificates/

This has only been coming down the pipe for what, two years now? I know that I’ve gotten several letters from the NMC on the topic, it’s been talked about ad nauseum onboard for the past year and I’ve been pestered by the office repeatedly to make sure that my paperwork was in order. I submitted my gap closing stuff and renewal paperwork to the NMC first week of May this year, got it back last week of June, about a week shy of two months. At this point, if you haven’t taken your gap closing classes, you’re probably screwed in some way or another. You need to figure out which classes you need. Mr. Cavo posted the link to the NVIC a few posts back. Then you need to figure out which of the approved schools has openings (good luck). After taking all the classes (maybe 2 weeks, probably 3, maybe more) you’ve gotta get your paperwork in (along with everyone else). If you’re only covering the gap closing stuff turnaround might be fairly quick (a month or so). If you’re planning on renewing to put off the BST renewal you should give yourself at least two months for the NMC to process. If you wait til the end of the year all you’re doing is making it more likely that you’re going to get screwed. Some MMCs have a “not valid after” date buried in all the endorsements. Some don’t have the “not valid after” date but will still expire at the end of the year if the gap closing courses aren’t complete. Yes, it would have been nice if all of MMCs spelled it out, but they don’t.

If in doubt, give the NMC a call and find out. Call 'em back and see if you get a different answer if you don’t like what they tell you the first time. If you wait til December to get this sorted out or renewed, you’ll probably wind up sitting on the beach for a while.

[QUOTE=Louisd75;189324]

If in doubt, give the NMC a call and find out. Call 'em back and see if you get a different answer if you don’t like what they tell you the first time. If you wait til December to get this sorted out or renewed, you’ll probably wind up sitting on the beach for a while.[/QUOTE]

Better yet, do it by email so you have it in writing.

I am looking for clarification on what kind of assessments are required to upgrade to Chief Mate of 500GT/Less Than 3000GT. I have a 1600T Mate DOMESTIC and Mate of Towing NC, I am going to be shy of the required sea time to upgrade to Master by the end of the year but according to the checklist I have the time for Chief Mate. From what I understand will be spared from having to do the management level assessments when I eventually do apply for master.

I have read the NVIC and checklist for CM 500/3000GT and my question is do I need to complete the OICNW assessments for this endorsement?