New License Issuance 2015

Test results received by NMC on July 1. Still waiting for evaluator.

It only took two days in back January.

This time a job is on the line, so naturally it’s taking longer.

Anyone else recently complete testing? How long did it take you for issuance?

The thread from this time last year showed wait times of five weeks. I hope it’s not getting back to that.

FWIW, I went through the renewal process in the early days of the NMC’s existence and found my expiration date closing in without my new ticket in sight, medical review was the big roadblock then. I called and was informed that a politely worded letter explaining my plight and possible and impending complications regarding my employment. I was summarily bumped up after receiving a nice letter stating that I was being given consideration due to my approaching expiration date.
Call the center and talk to an evaluator and describe your predicament. Be nice, they will help.
bb

[QUOTE=catherder;165554]Test results received by NMC on July 1. Still waiting for evaluator.

The thread from this time last year showed wait times of five weeks. I hope it’s not getting back to that.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=catherder;165554]Test results received by NMC on July 1. Still waiting for evaluator.

The thread from this time last year showed wait times of five weeks. I hope it’s not getting back to that.[/QUOTE]

Catherder
I did a simple renewal recently and it took about 4 weeks. It depends on how many people are on vacation, the holidays etc. If the license is standing between you and a pay raise tell the folks at NMC and you may find your paperwork moved from the pile of other papers a little quicker. They are just working folks like most of us and understand things like that.
Congratulations !

Yes, I’ll give them a call either this afternoon or in the morning if I see nothing move. I was told 7-10 working days and I’m getting a little nervous because this outfit wants me on a plane next Monday and I suspect I won’t have it in hand. They said they if I can confirm issuance they’d be ok with that.

About 15 days from when you complete the exam. Friend just passed his eng. Lic. Last month. That’s in his mailbox.

Congrats on the new job… care to say who after you get your documents.

I took my exam on July the 1st and received the license at home in hand on the 10th…

[QUOTE=TugNtow;165582]I took my exam on July the 1st and received the license at home in hand on the 10th…[/QUOTE]

So we took the exam same day (I finished that day and submitted) and I’m still waiting.

What the heck is going on there in WV.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=AB Murph;165571]About 15 days from when you complete the exam. Friend just passed his eng. Lic. Last month. That’s in his mailbox.

Congrats on the new job… care to say who after you get your documents.[/QUOTE]

Might be nobody if they don’t get this going.

What REC? Maybe they didn’t send in your test results right away? I’d call the NMC and see what’s up…

I just used the new live chat feature on the NMC website to check the status of my application… It was actually pretty slick. Got answers immediately.

[QUOTE=fishyluke;165595]I just used the new live chat feature on the NMC website to check the status of my application… It was actually pretty slick. Got answers immediately.[/QUOTE]

I like that, too! It’s a good thing, plus you can email the transcript to yourself.

Unfortunately, they told me to cool my heels and wait and I’m running out of time. But I do like the feature.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=TugNtow;165594]What REC? Maybe they didn’t send in your test results right away? I’d call the NMC and see what’s up…[/QUOTE]

Charleston. Nice people there. I have tested there twice and I highly recommend.

They sent them in same day; I was able to confirm using the live chat.

And I was told to wait. The evaluator hasn’t evaluated, I guess.

I am not a patient enough person!

I tested in charleston as well. Guess we were in the same room that day I wonder why mine went right thru and yours got held up. I kinda figured mine would take awhile with the 4th right around the corner but I was pretty happy. Good luck with yours.

[QUOTE=TugNtow;165611]I tested in charleston as well. Guess we were in the same room that day I wonder why mine went right thru and yours got held up. I kinda figured mine would take awhile with the 4th right around the corner but I was pretty happy. Good luck with yours.[/QUOTE]

Hot damn, yes we were in the same room. Their A/C was out and they had a fan or two running. The lady who administers and grades the tests is so nice isn’t she? But that building is so run down and I wish they could get the funding to fix it up. Sad.

I have no idea why it shakes out the way it does. I think the evaluators must be assigned by first initial of last name or some other arbitrary grouping. Why one person gets by with 10 days and another takes longer makes no sense at all.

Were you in the far right back corner or to my left? Inquiring minds must know.

If you walk in the doors was in the back left by the window next to the chart drawers. I’ve been going thru Charleston for years. I got my AB ticket there from Mike Odell who was awesome. I got my first license, which was a total cluster fuck from Linda Hyman about a week before she retired, and every renewal and upgrade since. The current lady is very nice and helpful. I love the old building but it could use some love. It’s on some prime real estate on the Battery in Charleston. I love that city. I used to make port call’s there pretty often when I was in the CG so it’s always nice to go back.

[QUOTE=TugNtow;165616]If you walk in the doors was in the back left by the window next to the chart drawers. I’ve been going thru Charleston for years. I got my AB ticket there from Mike Odell who was awesome. I got my first license, which was a total cluster fuck from Linda Hyman about a week before she retired, and every renewal and upgrade since. The current lady is very nice and helpful. I love the old building but it could use some love. It’s on some prime real estate on the Battery in Charleston. I love that city. I used to make port call’s there pretty often when I was in the CG so it’s always nice to go back.[/QUOTE]

Ok I remember you now. I was kinda in the middle-right of the room but how do you miss a fat chick.

I like the location too. How can you beat parking right there on the Battery?

I paid a visit out of respect to the Emmanuel AME church on the way home and left a candle inscribed with names of friends and family.

Will always go there for tests in the future. I’m a recent returnee to sea (ex Navy) so I don’t recognize the names you mentioned.

Congrats!

What were you testing for? Just curious what you qualified for after the navy. I think I was granted 60% of my time in the CG. I was afloat the entire five years I was in. Never did a small boat or shore station. Guess it depends on your rate too.

A dozen donuts used to go a long way when they did the issuance & Evals. Great people in there over the years.

Linda Hyman screwed me years ago because she made a mistake reading my application. She refused to admit it. I had to go over her head to prove I was right. She called me personally at home to tell me I shouldn’t have gone over her head to fix the problem even though I had gone through hundreds of dollars, lost time on a license, and almost a job. She was righteously indignant about the whole thing even though she was clearly wrong. The phone call to me personally was over the line and she did everything she could to hold it up going as far as not forwarding my application to the person who relieved her when she retired. The Captain in charge of the REC was very apologetic about the whole thing and I’ve never had a problem since but I would never have given her a donut… I wouldn’t piss on her if she was on fire…