New deckhand options. AB or 100t license

Hi I am new to the industry, got hired on with Adriatic marine a few months ago! Love the company and crew I’m with but have questions about what direction to go. Should I get my AB and move on to a big company, stay here with less pay and get my 100t an run one of these vessels. There are so many options and I’m just looking to hear from others that have moved up what route they took! Thank you!

Either way works. You can run as a 100 ton master and upgrade to your 500/3000itc master and then run as a mate on a bigger boat or master on a 500 ton boat or you can get your AB with rfpnw and upgrade from AB-mate once you get on a bigger boat as an AB. I personally have both my 100 ton and AB unlimited and I chose to run as a master because it pays more than an AB but that’s at my company. I personally feel that I will have much better boat handling skills when I move up to a big boat than I would working as an AB. Just my two cents though.

Check your PM

JD be careful what you post and ask openly. Adriatic management actively searches on here and looks through post.

[QUOTE=Enarubin;141922]You can run as a 100 ton master and upgrade to your 500/3000 itc master and then run as a mate on a bigger boat or master on a 500 ton boat [/QUOTE]

You can have your Master 500 GRT/3000 ITC and run as master on a vessel up to 3000 ITC. Even if the bigger boat’s is dual tonnage is over 500 GRT. The only difference that I’ve seen is that a Master 500 GRT Oceans will not give you the Oceans endorsement on your Master 3000 ITC. You need Master 1600 GRT Oceans to have the Oceans endorsement on your 3000 ITC.

I had thought that but I guess my company only allows you to run as a mate even with having the 3000itc on out 1600grt boats.

Thank you guys! Got a lot to think about! I am very happy with Adriatic. They are growing quickly and the larger vessels that need ABs are coming out next year I believe. So im
not planning on jumping ship at all, they are a great company to work for. Just weighing out options of what direction I want to take my career

They only give that 3000 itc to a 500 ton now if the license was issued before mar 24 of this year…unless if once again my evaluator gave me bad info…

At this point I honestly believe that it depends on the evaluator.

If you hold mate 500 ITC are you still eligible for Mate 3000 OSV