Need some helpful info

I currently hold my 100 yon masters and want to move up to some of these bigger vessels. I have started taking some classes for my 500ton. But my question is would it be easier to start as an AB with one of the bigger companies to get started with them or to go get my 500 ton with the OSV endorsement and then try and get on with them?

[QUOTE=jollyroger784;95432]I currently hold my 100 yon masters and want to move up to some of these bigger vessels. I have started taking some classes for my 500ton. But my question is would it be easier to start as an AB with one of the bigger companies to get started with them or to go get my 500 ton with the OSV endorsement and then try and get on with them?[/QUOTE]

You might also want to consider just getting a job on a crewboat, preferably at a company that operates both crewboats and OSVs. Just my opinion, but I think that experience actually running a crewboat in the oil patch is a lot more valuable than time as AB on an OSV.

Oh yeah no doubt.I have been running crew boats for the past 5 years. Just trying to figure out where to go from here. I am maxed out at this company. Guess I will have to try one of these bigger companies then.

myself would never go back and work as a deckhand, I had a 100 ton for years and now have my 500 ton master, I went straight from wheelhouse to wheelhouse. I would not take steps back to move forward.

[QUOTE=skinny stick;95471]myself would never go back and work as a deckhand, I had a 100 ton for years and now have my 500 ton master, I went straight from wheelhouse to wheelhouse. I would not take steps back to move forward.[/QUOTE]

Don’t mean to give anyone career advice, I took the long route, made more then one trip, up the hawepipe and back down.

K.C.

Agreed! Been there, done it, probably will do it Again.

Until you have your big papers and experience running big boats my advice is not to decline the idea of sailing AB if it will ultimately help you in he long run. A frank conversation with ops/recruiters about your goals and expectations Will go a long way in helping to make sure you get what you want and also make yourself look intelligent and willing to learn an operation from the ground up. Not to say give to looking for a wheelhouse job but for the sake of making a transition easier to achieve be open to the deck thing; sounds like you already are though.

Definitely. If starting on the deck is what it takes I have no problem with that. Thanks guys appreciate all the help

[QUOTE=“skinny stick;95471”]myself would never go back and work as a deckhand, I had a 100 ton for years and now have my 500 ton master, I went straight from wheelhouse to wheelhouse. I would not take steps back to move forward.[/QUOTE]

How long did you work as a deckhand?

Getting a DP certificate is probably the most valuable thing that you can do.

I second tugsailor’s advice. I am currently paying for my dp school (advanced), as too many doors will only open with dp.