New Blog - Featuring Only The Best Gear

Friend of mine recruited my help in launching a website for boaters but also features a section for professional mariners.

We came up with the idea after notching that a lot of boaters buy crappy products then get frustrated (or, worse, stranded!) when their gear craps out on them… so we came up with the idea of a website that picks just one item in each product category (e.g.The Best Knife, The Best EPIRb, etc) and researching the heck out of the best products to pick just one.

We are launching the site Tomorrow for. Black Friday but I wanted to give all you guys a sneak preview. Here’s the link:
http://theteakrail.com/

Spread the word and let me know what you think!

-John

Well crap! Less than five minutes on the new site and I already want to buy a new knife and sunglasses.

John,

Magnetic anti-seasickness wrist bands?! Don’t tell me you think those Power Balance wrist bands that use hologram technology work too.

I was about write “No, I don’t” but the truth is I have met people who swear by them.

I think the biggest thing about seasickness is that if you think you are going to get sick then you will get sick. So, no I don’t believe that magnets do anything… if people believe they can’t get sick while wearing them then they probably won’t.

John,

You might want to check into 2 publications - Powerboat Reports and Practical Sailor.com. Though geared mostly towards the recreational market, they function as kind of a consumer reports of the boating world.

Might be a source of inspiration for other 'Best of" gear you may want to offer.

btw - noticed you are offering coffee. Then you should be offering ‘the best’ method to prepared said coffee. Based on years of personal testing - ‘the best’ way to make coffee is using a little device call a French Press. Try it yourself.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;125461]John,

You might want to check into 2 publications - Powerboat Reports and Practical Sailor.com. Though geared mostly towards the recreational market, they function as kind of a consumer reports of the boating world.

Might be a source of inspiration for other 'Best of" gear you may want to offer.

btw - noticed you are offering coffee. Then you should be offering ‘the best’ method to prepared said coffee. Based on years of personal testing - ‘the best’ way to make coffee is using a little device call a French Press. Try it yourself.[/QUOTE]

I love the French Press! You can make tea with them too.

PractcslSailor is a personal favorite of mine and I’ll be sure to check out the other one.

As far as coffee, French Press was indeed my favorite for years but it’s been ousted by the Aeropress which makes smoother and much stronger coffee with less cleanup. Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0047BIWSK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1385945616&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&tag=thtera-20

And here’s a link that shows the rest of my coffee setup here at gCaptain HQ:
http://gcaptain.com/holiday-gift-guide/

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;125461]John,

btw - noticed you are offering coffee. Then you should be offering ‘the best’ method to prepared said coffee. Based on years of personal testing - ‘the best’ way to make coffee is using a little device call a French Press. Try it yourself.[/QUOTE]

Powerboat Reports is dead, has been for a few years now, long live Teak Rail.

Coffee is one of the last frontiers of acceptable indulgences these days… The beer, scotch, whiskey, cigar, steak etc… All have backers laying down the science behind our demise in enjoying them. At best they cost us our jobs, at worst we lay down and die.

We may as well keep refining our coffee preferences… Seems reasonably inexpensive.

We have all drank gallons of piss poor coffee over the years in this industry. Instant coffee prepared by Koreans with fouled water, condensed milk and a dirty cup…

(Currently drinking many kinds of coffee this week: Starbucks Vio instant coffee from Costco, French pressed dark roasts at $10 a pound, Vanilla nut medium blend through standard drip coffee maker, and the assorted unidentified cups from several ships… Including Pasha’s Jean Anne (AMO crewed) Kuric cups of Newman’s Own Columbian)