Need some help and some advice about my upcoming session on Tankerman Academy

Hello guys! I need some advice from people who have been through on position as a Tankerman. I just got an interview session from SGS Petroleum Service TCA. They have a career academy for their Tankerman. It cost about $13,000.00 to get into their program. While I’m not concern about the money, I found out it’s so highly competitive that a lot of people are signing up for it and I also found out they will choose only 10 out of all. I really have no idea how many people applied.

Anyways, I just got my Twic Card which is needed to work on maritime. Any advice on where I can apply or go for training as Tankerman? I was offer to be train as a tanker by an individual for $5000 but the only problem is that he lives all the way in Washington and I’m not about to travel that long distance just to get some training. I’ve completed some courses in basic fight fighting and all their is left to get to hands on contact training in discharging, loading and unloading and transfers. Any ideas and advice is greatly appreciated!

What a crock of shit!

A company should want to invest in it’s employees not force them to spend $13k to try out for a job. These guys make Headhunters look like fair and reasonable people. That guys willing to train you in Washington is trying to scam you as you also need to take a cost guard approved course and get sea time before you can apply, not just discharges and loadings.

Have you tried looking for a job as an OS working on barges so you can hawsepipe your way up?

The hell with paying anyone, go get an OS job to start.

Bullshit on their website: “Furthermore, only a qualified company, such as SGS Petroleum Service Corporation, can formally nominate an applicant for a MMC”

[QUOTE=Thanh M Doan;132748]Hello guys! I need some advice from people who have been through on position as a Tankerman. I just got an interview session from SGS Petroleum Service TCA. They have a career academy for their Tankerman. It cost about $13,000.00 to get into their program. While I’m not concern about the money, I found out it’s so highly competitive that a lot of people are signing up for it and I also found out they will choose only 10 out of all. I really have no idea how many people applied.

Anyways, I just got my Twic Card which is needed to work on maritime. Any advice on where I can apply or go for training as Tankerman? I was offer to be train as a tanker by an individual for $5000 but the only problem is that he lives all the way in Washington and I’m not about to travel that long distance just to get some training. I’ve completed some courses in basic fight fighting and all their is left to get to hands on contact training in discharging, loading and unloading and transfers. Any ideas and advice is greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

That is a scam! Run!

You probably ought to report this scam to the USCG and the state attorney general.

The worse part is they don’t hide any of it on their website! http://tcainfo.mobi/

[QUOTE=z-drive;132798]The worse part is they don’t hide any of it on their website! http://tcainfo.mobi/[/QUOTE]

There are company’s you can work for that will send you to tankerman school and you will receive on hands training. Company’s like Kirby marine, Blessey marine, Florida marine, Genesis marine do Google search and get contact info

[QUOTE=z-drive;132798]The worse part is they don’t hide any of it on their website! http://tcainfo.mobi/[/QUOTE]

And they don’t seem to meet their own standards …"Must pass mechanical aptitude, math & ready comprehension exams.

Thank you all for responding and advice. I’m taking a tankerman course right now to get an endorsement as a “tankerman assist” and I’ll be applying somewhere else to start off. I thought about it, that $13k is not worth it when I can do it with a company who’s willing to train their new comer employees. I’ve done some research and spoken to other tankerman about it. Once again, thank you for your kind response and advice! =)