Need direction

I have a question concerning my current license 1600 ton NC 3000 itc, I am planning to get Celestial navigation, Medical care provider, and ECDIS (all certificates from the school). I took flashing lights, and took the new exam with terrestial navigation when I obtained my masters license. What tests if any will I have to take to remove the NC restriction, and would I be able to get third mate unlimited at the same time (any testing required)? I remember years ago, that an individual would need to take rules of the road to add the Oceans endorsement if a year passed before the certificate was submitted. So much has changed since then.

I took the Celestial Nav class at MPT in April. Depending on the school and USCG approval, you may not need to test at the USCG to add the Oceans endorsement to the 1600 grt license. After the Celestial class, MPT offers a 1 day Navigation Supplement class. You take both certs from the classes and submitt them to the USCG and the Oceans endorsement should be added to the license. As far as the 3rd Mate - Did you have a 1600 (or 500) grt Mate license prior to the 1600 grt Master? If so, did you test under the “new” testing scheme for the Mate license? If not, then you will have to take all the tests for the 3rd Mate as well as complete all the required assesments. Read policy letter 11-07 (discussed on this thread) for further information on upgrading to 3rd Mate.

Do you have mate or master? That makes a difference. And are you upgrading to masteras well as oceans?

My mistake, I currently hold a 1600 ton NC masters license (2nd issue). I previously held the 1600 ton mates license before. I have a desire to get the third mate unlimited and the Oceans endorsement at the same time. My license is also unrestricted. Ecdis is an upcoming requirement, (assuming) which will provide an opportunity to renew radar, and I plan to get medical care provider because I never got it before. When I submit, I plan to take advantage of the fees by renewing my license along with adding endorsements and potentially aquiring third mate unlimited. I suppose that it maybe important to also note that I did in fact complete an assessment book which I submitted when I submitted for 1600 ton Master years ago. I will be issued a certificate of completion for the celestial Nav class which will test me there. What other testing will I be expected to take?

[QUOTE=Capt Brian;57406]I took the Celestial Nav class at MPT in April. Depending on the school and USCG approval, you may not need to test at the USCG to add the Oceans endorsement to the 1600 grt license. After the Celestial class, MPT offers a 1 day Navigation Supplement class. You take both certs from the classes and submitt them to the USCG and the Oceans endorsement should be added to the license. As far as the 3rd Mate - Did you have a 1600 (or 500) grt Mate license prior to the 1600 grt Master? If so, did you test under the “new” testing scheme for the Mate license? If not, then you will have to take all the tests for the 3rd Mate as well as complete all the required assesments. Read policy letter 11-07 (discussed on this thread) for further information on upgrading to 3rd Mate.[/QUOTE] I heard bits and pieces of this from different work associates, and this is why I am curious about testing requirements for the third mate unlimited. This particular thread makes me wonder if testing is required whether or not I should just apply for 2nd mate unlimited. Understandable I would probably be required to complete an assessment for the STCW endorsement of OICNW. Is Third mate Unlimited the same level as 1600 ton Master? Going to review CFR’s.

2M, 3M, 1600 ton mate, and 500 ton mate all take the same test. If you tested for your 1600 ton MATE in 2002 or later you will not need to test for 3M. The 1600 ton master test is slightly different and so you will need to retake the mate exam if you never took the modern 2M exam.

Did you have OICNW when you held your 1600 ton mate? If so you should not need to redo that.

(You do not apply for 2M. You apply for 3M but take the 2M exam.)