Navy sea time - a new twist

[QUOTE=txh2oman;142637]…while some concrete action by Congress to make the transition to (and translation of military ratings to) civilian occupations would be a great support and truly meaningful.

not directed at anyone here … just a thought.[/QUOTE]

THAT would be MOST helpful. A Navy guy COULD do 25 years in Tugs, ACTUALLY be good at what he does(in SPITE of C.Captain) and when he retires be eligible for NOTHING on the outside in the way of Maritime employment. ARMY has made better headway in that venue with it’s Deck Officer School at FT EUSTIS in Virginia. THOSE guys at least leave the school with a Commercial Deck/Eng Officer’s license. NAVY has really dragged it’s feet on that. It was Policy letter 14/02 that got over the assessmants hurdle back when I got my license and that gave me credit for all my Deck dept watchstanding i.e Helm, Lee Helm, Lookout, etc. Can’t even do THAT anymore…

Just a thought. Working in the engine room on a commercial ship, even an OSV, is a hell of a lot different than working on a sub. On commercial ships, the ERs are a MUCH larger and open. Not claustrophobic at all. And on a skimmer (target?), he can always head topside and get plenty of fresh air and sunshine. A lot more need, ie jobs, for the snipes and many more opportunities to work ashore should he tire of being gone. Years ago, I used to see ads in the Houston papers looking for painters but sailors need not apply.

1 Like

[QUOTE=txh2oman;142556]
4. Finally, he has an impressive training transcript, including two years teaching, among other things, basic and advanced firefighting and damage control at the Trident Training Center. Is there any way to get (STCW) credit for that, or does he have to go to Delgado or Fletcher for a week (not for the 100-ton, obviously but down the road).

As I mentioned, he’ll likely hire a consultant … just trying to figure out what he’s looking at if anyone has any insights.

thanks!.[/QUOTE]
Something else I thought of, the Navy has something called a SMART transcript. Just tell him to Google “smart transcript” and he should be able to figure out the rest. The thing with these transcripts is that he can only see the unofficial version online while the official version will be mailed from Pensacola to whomever he deems the recipient. The SMART transcript is normally meant for college credit though in his case it may help with STCW or CG stuff.

Good luck.

1 Like

He has the transcript, which I do think will be helpful to him.

Thanks for all the good ideas, folks. Much appreciated. He has spoken with one of the frequently recommended (on here) consultants, has classes scheduled and I think he’s all set for next steps. With his permission, I’ll come back with whatever shakes out with regard to his Navy time and training. If anyone is interested.

Cheers.

I came over from SSBN/SSNs. I retired as Chief Quartermaster Assistant Navigator. None, I say again None of my Navy classes counted towards my 100 ton license. You need to review the Maritime Safety Manual (http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/default.asp?tab=5#TabbedPanels1). It spells out everything you need to applying Navy SeaTime on Submarines with respect to your Rating. Unfortunately MMs time doesn’t count towards a deck license. With all of my 20 years of service I still had to get 25% additional sea time on another boat in order to qualify for a 100 ton NC Master’s license. Since then I’ve moved up to 500T/3000ITC and now 1600T / 3000 ITC. Not sure if I want to bother with getting Oceans. Don’t really care to go overseas again.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;142638]Sorry I didn’t mean to suggest he is that way. Just that some of the people I’ve met coming out think they’re gonna land a great job in the maritime industry meanwhile they haven’t actually aligned their career path to have the correct applicable experience. The GI bill is pretty great but I think our services could do a better job career counseling, especially those getting out soon.

Edit: Just thought of this though;

With his Firefighting experience he might be competitive for a Damage Control Officer position with MSC if he can get his papers together. https://sealiftcommand.com/position/assistant-damage-control-officer/[/QUOTE]

Look at the requirements, it requires a fully qualified 2nd Mate AGT. There’s a lot more than FF going on with that position.

Oops, you’re right. Missed that it was for a 2/m or 2AE. He’d have to go to an academy then sail for a year or two.

I think where the Navy fucks its sailors is not so much at separation but during the recruiting phase. It’s almost a right of passage to talk about how one’s recruiter had lied. If people were given more time to find out about the various rates and what sort of job offers will be available after their time with the Navy is up, then I think there would be less of a scramble to jump from military to civilian life. On the other hand the military has a bunch of billets to fill and most likely would have a hard time filling them if people knew what they were getting themselves into.