Navy moves to allow women on submarines

Unless Congress objects, the policy could go into effect by April. Submarines are the only class of ship from which female service members remain barred.

Reporting from Washington - The Navy plans to allow women to serve for the first time on submarines, the only class of ship from which they are currently barred, military and congressional officials said Tuesday.

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates notified Congress on Monday that the Navy intends to change its policy. Congress has 30 working days to object. Unless the House or Senate moves to block the shift, the policy could go into effect as soon as mid-April.

Just in time, 11 April is the 110th birthday of the U.S. Navy Submarine Service. Welcome aboard ladies!! Few women will like it I believe, the funky smell alone may drive 'em away. Most men don’t even like it for that matter, and I guess that’s why the recruiting is slow according to the attached story. “Run Silent Run Deep” is getting ready to have new meaning.

I think they will enjoy being on something long, hard and full of seaman.

Bwahahahaha!

Suddenly, a new definition of hot bunking comes to mind.

I think it’s about time. Women serve in combat and aboard (often in command of) all sorts of other vessels. It’s ridiculous it’s taken this long.

Now- if only the USOC will allow women to compete in the Olympic Ski Jump competitions…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=skycowboy;27593]I think they will enjoy being on something long, hard and full of seaman.[/QUOTE]

I had such a witty repartee, but I just can’t bring myself to post it.

Come on Capt. Fran, lets hear it…