Military Sealift Command lockdown

Is it true that MSC ships fleet wide are under a lockdown? I’ve heard crewmembers are not allowed to leave the ship…even the ones in the US.

2 Likes

COMSC has ordered all MSC to cancel liberty. My friends in different fleets say they are restricted. Ships with USN personnel have MSC restricted but USN non-restricted. Some Norfolk ships are permitting liberty to go back and forth from home. Restriction pay is not expected.

1 Like

The crew on a union contracted MSC vessel in Busan just got restricted to the ship. I think they can go to the dock for exercise.

1 Like

Ashore is still good.

USNS Mercy and Comfort also all stop?

Marine traffic shows USNS MERCY still moored in SD.

1 Like

Ahh, yes. In separate news, this morning shows there is still plenty of flights over USA. Need to creep Marine traffic to see how many Cruise ships are still active.

News reports state that Mercy is loading stores etc. Not sure what is going on with Comfort. I no longer have a contact there.

1 Like

Yes, you are correct.

Apparently Robert Frump has been on the case, and he says there’s a stack of 835’s that are cleared or in the process of being cleared on Comfort

2 Likes

Haha! Those things are aren’t even good for toilet paper. Its MSC. You know they just say ‘National Defense’ and the waver shows up. And if the POTUS says go who will stand up and say “But, Sir, this piece of paper says they can’t get underway…”

Yes. People who live within daily commute are allowed to come and go as normal. It has been deemed they are not a threat to catch any form of virus or disease. AMO VP Mike Finigan made it very clear there will be no restriction pay. Also, contracts that have restriction pay in them for the commercial ships was waived by AMO in the best interest of its members. To save the companies and king and country and all that.

1 Like

When I finally get to fly to Korea for crew change I will be quarantined for 14 days before being allowed to join the ship. The hotels they put us up in aren’t the best so that’ll be a lot of fun.

1 Like

Have they actually told you you will be doing that?
I’ve been in a no info holding pattern for a week now. Norfolk is getting back logged with bodies too now that they shipped San Diego guys over here.

Has anybody from Norfolk got a ship assignment or a confirmation of a planned crew change?

1 Like

Yes they are def doing that but…this is a Union contracted vessel not regualr MSC CivMar.
Not sure if this came down through the squadron or the company but my guess is the squadron commander. My job is on hold.

Why are they shipping San Diego guys to Norfolk? They’re eventually gonna have to allow people to sit in the pool from home.

You guess is as good as mine. I’m not even sure if it was the whole Civmar work force or just a portion. But still it was a movement of at least a handful. Some had even been on the way overseas but got turned around. I don’t think anybody will be allowed to go to the pool from home. Especially now that any Civmar movement must be approved by the admiral or his confidants.
I know that a training class was just sent to New Jersey today for a month at least. I’ve not heard in the last week of any crew changes, but that’s not to say they are or are not happening. We are not being feed any information at the moment beyond, “we will contact you soon” or ”Civmar orders are to remain in your hotel and call in each day”.
I would imagine they will wait longer and see what the prospects are in a month or so, my guess only.

1 Like

A kid with me just went to a local ship in Norfolk. The only crew changes I’ve heard of are happening in Norfolk.

I heard that someone went through the San Diego pool with coronavirus and its closed. So they cant even check you in as far as medical and all that. Just my guess.

2 Likes

Yeah, thatd do it. Odd they would send everyone over to Norfolk then. None of them were tested before flying over. I would think they would have a little more common sense then to do that. But might have a bigger crewing picture or plan. Not sure and can only speculate from this level.
I know the leadership DOES keep an eye out on these forums as well as on FB. I hope they can trickle down some info and get some lines of communication open with the Civmars.

3 Likes

Dang. The ship I was dispatched to in Korea was on 30 day quarantine, ending April 19. It is now extended to 4/30. I’m sure there will be another extension. I need the job but I do feel for the guys that can’t leave the ship. Busan is an awesome city and they can only look at it from the ship. Plus the guys that did their time (including Captain) that can’t leave.

1 Like