My renewal & upgrade not granted for 5 years...Do I have any recourse?

[B]Last year while sailing under my 50T Master License I decided to upgrade to a 100T Master license. [/B]

[B]In January 2009 I brought my upgrade application package to the REC at Battery Park. I checked the boxes “Upgrade” and “Renewal” The agent who was helping me said that this was an “Upgrade” and erased the “Renewal” check mark. I did not think anything of it at the time.[/B]

[B]My new upgrade for 100T was issued on 01 May 2009. But instead of being issued for 5 years (expiring on 01 May 2014) they just upgraded on my old 50T license with an expiration of 18 Mar 2010.[/B]

[B]I called the NMC to to find out if they can reissue my 100T credential with the 5 year expiration date. They said no since I did not check the renewal box on the application. I explained that the agent at the REC erased the “Renewal” check mark and requested to speak to a supervisor. I was told by the supervisor that there was nothing they can do.[/B]

[B]I’m mad because I went through the the whole process of writing a check, Physical, Eye exams, Sea time letters, ect, ect, ect and now less then a year later I have to go through the whole process and expense again.[/B]

[B]Do I have any recourse with this situation? Is there someone higher up that I can ask for a review?[/B]

[B]Thanks for any help with this matter.[/B]

[I][quote=Endless Quest;27240]…[/I][I]My new upgrade for 100T was issued on 01 May 2009. But instead of being issued for 5 years (expiring on 01 May 2014) they just upgraded on my old 50T license with an expiration of 18 Mar 2010.[/I]
[I] [/I]
[I]I called the NMC to to find out if they can reissue my 100T credential with the 5 year expiration date. They said no since I did not check the renewal box on the application. I explained that the agent at the REC erased the “Renewal” check mark and requested to speak to a supervisor. I was told by the supervisor that there was nothing they can do.[/I]
[I] [/I]
[I]I’m mad because I went through the the whole process of writing a check, Physical, Eye exams, Sea time letters, ect, ect, ect and now less then a year later I have to go through the whole process and expense again.[/I]
[I] [/I]
[I]Do I have any recourse with this situation? Is there someone higher up that I can ask for a review?[/I]
[I] [/I]
[I]Thanks for any help with this matter.[/quote][/I]

You can request a “reconsideration” of the decision to issue the MMC with the earlier expiration date from the Commaniding Officer of the NMC. This will be reviewed and decided at a higher level within the NMC. To do so you should submit a written request that explains your position and what you want. It should be sent to the Commanding Officer at the NMC.

If you disagree with the decision on the reconsideration, you can appeal to the Commandant of the Coast Guard. That appeal is sent to the NMC but is forwarded to and decided at Coast Guard HQ.

Thank You Mr. Cavo…That was a fast response!

Honestly, bro since you submitted everything within a year, I would think all you would have to do is apply for your renewal and pay the fee. All of your requirements should already be met. I mean that agent messed you up for sure, but writing and appealing the Commandant is going to take a lot more than $150.00 of your time. Good Luck.

I just want to send out a BIG THANK YOU to Mr. Cavo and everyone else who gives out great advice on this board!!! Following Mr. Cavo’s advice I sent a letter asking for reconsideration with my issues. On March 10 I received my new credential with the correct expiration date. Thank you again Mr. Cavo, you literally saved my job and 3 months of not working on the water!

Adam