My La. Job Hunt

2 mariners get hired this week.
Both AB’s; with Oceaneering in Morgan CIty.
Their trip was definitely worth it and it was great having them as guests at my B&B.
It can happen for you, too.
Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the Bayou B&B
3158 Hwy 308
Raceland, LA
(985)537-6773

Then don’t come work in the gulf…simple as that. These companies do care but how much courtesy are they to show an applicant from across the country on the phone when hiring is based on the needs of today? Personally I get tired of working with shipmates who fly to work…especially when crew change has to be adjusted. Too much hassle.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;71754]Then don’t come work in the gulf…simple as that. These companies do care but how much courtesy are they to show an applicant from across the country on the phone when hiring is based on the needs of today? Personally I get tired of working with shipmates who fly to work…especially when crew change has to be adjusted. Too much hassle.[/QUOTE]

I fly in a day early so I am there for crew change so my shipmates who don’t fly don’t have to re-arrange their lives because of me. I also actually look at expected weather and have flown in 3 days early to be safe.

Even as Master, I revolve around my crew, not vice-versa, it is the least I can do for the people that make me and the vessel look good and that is a HUGE job for them to do.

So, I may be a whore, but is not money grubbing whore.

It’s nice to see officers concerned about their crew. Most I’ve worked with are only concerned about themselves. I had a captain tell me he didn’t care who my relief was, “because I’m getting off and that’s all that matters”.

That’s a great attitude to have! Humans are self centered animals but the best captains I’ve worked with were the same. Captains who take take of the crew have crews that bust ass for their captain.

Thought I’d leave an update: just finished my first hitch (working over), and I have to say that I’m actually looking forward to going back to work. After getting hired back at the beginning of the month, I received job offers from two other companies I’d talked to. But I’m pleased where I am, for now. I was assigned to a solid boat (that needs some love, but that’s an opportunity as well) with a crew that’s willing to teach and is easy to get along with. Three other friends also started as third captains in the Gulf this past month; as Miss Claudette says, the work is out there for those who are willing to come down and knock on a few doors.

I sure appreciate all the help and encouragement on gCaptain. This is a great resource!