My La. Job Hunt

[QUOTE=mtskier;70903]Miss C, see you in a couple of weeks![/QUOTE]
It’ll be nice to see you and have you as a guest, again.

I am headed to Raceland on Sunday. Rigdivr just posted something interesting regarding preference vs geographic location. I am mapping out my visit to the area and am looking for opinions on which company to start with. Which companies are good to work for overall? I know this is a loaded question. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance.

My list consists of but not limited to the following:

1. Seacore
  2. Otto Candies
  3. GOL
  4. HOS
  5. ECO
  6. Harvey Gulf, Int’l
  7. Cal Dive, Int’l
  8. Aries Marine
  9. Comar

I have all paperwork in hand already in packaged sets. The package consists of copies of MMC with AB unlimited/RFPNW/Lifeboatman/GMDSS/Tankerman PIC DL/First Aid provider. Copies of all certificates including completed OICNW courses. Passport, TWIC and Resume. I have a couple of applications printed and filled out as well.

I appreciate any help.

Better check the current location for GOL. Their HR office has been down bayou, about 1.5 N of ECO, on the west bank. But they had a new building under construction on the SE corner of Hwy 90 and 308, so they may have moved.

Give them a call, or ask Ms Claudette if you are staying at A Chateau on the Bayou.

[QUOTE=water;71001]Better check the current location for GOL. Their HR office has been down bayou, about 1.5 N of ECO, on the west bank. But they had a new building under construction on the SE corner of Hwy 90 and 308, so they may have moved.

Give them a call, or ask Ms Claudette if you are staying at A Chateau on the Bayou.[/QUOTE]

Hey Water,
So nice to hear from you.
Don’t think they are in the new office just, yet.
But, building is beautiful and a great asset to the area.

GOL personnel office is in Cutoff - Alex or Alec (2 personnel mgrs)

GOL Address?? 120 Whiterose Dr. Raceland, LA 70394-2644 ??

Ms. Claudette, See you Sunday afternoon. Looking forward to meeting you.

GOL Operations (and personnel): 16116 W Main St, Cut Off, LA 70345. If you stop at the Raceland office, they’ll give you a strip map.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;70917]People think we are kidding when we say be packed and ready. You could have sent them 100 emails and never heard a peep but you were in the office when a body was needed and you’re off to a boat.

This is why I also recommend hitting companies in the order of your preference, not simply geographic sense. Seems odd but these job offers aren’t the let me think about it and get back to you type![/QUOTE]

I am planning on hitting the road ASAP to try and land employment. When you say packed and ready, what clothing is expected to be worn? Dickies or Carhartt’s? Blue Jeans? I have some friends who go WAY back and wore only cut-offs and Tee’s onboard but I’m sure those days are long gone. I also see website photos where the crewmembers are wearing company jumpsuits. Of course I have all my PPE including PFD(type III is this sufficient?) I would really like to be able to tell a potential employer I’m ready to step on board if needed.

[QUOTE=gcsaylor;71239]I am planning on hitting the road ASAP to try and land employment. When you say packed and ready, what clothing is expected to be worn? Dickies or Carhartt’s? Blue Jeans? I have some friends who go WAY back and wore only cut-offs and Tee’s onboard but I’m sure those days are long gone. I also see website photos where the crewmembers are wearing company jumpsuits. Of course I have all my PPE including PFD(type III is this sufficient?) I would really like to be able to tell a potential employer I’m ready to step on board if needed.[/QUOTE]

For PPE, steel toes, mostly. The companies I’ve been with have always issued hard hat, PFD, gloves, safety glasses, ear protection. Although I bring my own ear protection and bifocal safety glasses. It is a function of age…

Clothes wise, jeans and Ts are generally o.k. Most want long pants, some want long sleeve shirts, too.

Welcome to gCaptain, and thank you for doing your research before making your first post. Greatly appreciated!

This guy has the right attitude I’m sure someone will snap him up.

Thanks for the info and confidence guys. I’m eager to do this (should have done it years ago). I have MMC. TWIC, US Passport and some OSHA and CPR courses. I was shot down by GulfMark because I didn’t have STCW. I know it would help but can’t really afford the fees. I have decades of shipyard experience with a concentration on machinery and coatings systems. I would prefer the deck but would take an ER job if offered. My offshore experience is primarily ‘blow boats’ but traveled all over N Atlantic and GOM. I DON’T get seasick, can pilot and navigate (celestial’s pretty rusty I’m sure). I can sleep pretty much anywhere and fit into whatever watch system asked of me. I guess I’m saying I know I can contribute and be an asset onboard, just need a crack in the door.

txh2oman…Congrats & Good Luck. Thanks for sharing your expierence.

Watch out for Iberia Marine. Had a good friend that worked there and he told me that when your boat is not on a job they cut captains pay. Comar will lay you off in the winter.

This maybe is what I need to do. I live in the U.P. of Michigan, but have relatives in Foley,Ala. , may hop on my Harley and go vist my mother-in-law!

In the last 2 weeks, 3 guys got on with International Marine in Larose as 100 ton capts. on supply boats and as an OS.
Another was hired with Jambon Boat Rentals as capt. in Golden Meadow.
I have another guy that returned this week to stay at my B&B while taking DP at ECO training center in Galliano.
He was hired just 2 months, ago.
And, next week another guy returns to my B&B while taking classes at ECO.
He, also, was hired about 2 months, ago
It’s so nice to see these guys move on with their career goals.
Please remember, if you are heading down to LA in search of a job that I do provide a discounted rate of $60 /night for mariners.
Check out my website at http://www.achateauonthebayou.com
Or, my FB page at https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/A-Chateau-On-The-Bayou-Bed-Breakfast-Claudette-L-Pitre/121896531157165
Regards,
Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the Bayou Bed & Breakfast
3158 Hwy 308
Raceland, LA
(985) 537-6773

first i would like to congratulate you on the job. secondly, i would like to remind everyone that showing up on a doorstep is obviously a good idea…when possible. some people can not afford taking a few days to shoot down to the gulf coast and hunt down jobs. for example, if i were to make a 3 day trip, i would be looking at around $1000 out of pocket expenses, and missing around the same much for work. that’s $2000 for 3 days, and i’m on the lower end of the spending spectrum. you do that once and get burned, fine. twice might not be so easy. people have bills to pay, and food to put on the table. i think the truth is, it is all about timing. in the gulf: plan a trip in december, march, june, or september. apply for something below what you are qualified for to get the interview, and then let the h.r. person bump you up. have all of your credentials in hand. etc. and by all means, STAY AT THE CHATEAU!

Becoming a mariner is often a lot like starting a self-employed small business. It costs some money for expenses to get started, there are risks involved, one must market oneself, and success is not guaranteed. In short, it takes money to make money — just like a business.

A few other thoughts: (1) A three day job hunting trip is a half-hearted effort that is probably doomed to failure; (2) Plan to spend at least one full week looking for a job, two weeks would be much better; and (3) If money is an issue, stay at hostels for $15/night or in a car, or tent out in a campground, shower at the YMCA if necessary, bring food and buy simple groceries to eat cheaply.

If one is not ready, willing, and able to travel to where the jobs are, and to actually put in the time to find jobs, then its best to forget about becoming a mariner.

i’ve heard it all before, tugsailor, and i appreciate your input. again, the point that i am trying to make clear is that sometimes traveling isn’t so easy. case in point, i spoke to a friend today who has been sailing for a LONG time in the gom. he was laid off from a company that downsized during the moratorium, and he hasn’t been able to get his feet back on the ground since. he can’t travel to job hunt because he works odd jobs on the beach to put food on the table. if he took 1 or 2 weeks to go to the bayou in search of work, he would come home to collection agencies. i think the gulf coast companies need to get off their high horses and give something for people to work on before they make their travel. any other company in general, and any other shipping company worth their salt will at least speak to you on the phone. the companies in the gulf just don’t care. if i was working for a company who honestly cared about their employees, i would stick with them through just about anything. it is no wonder why the gom employees are a bunch of money whores. they have no reason to commit to a company

I like money…

Looks like a trip is in my future