My company scored a coup tonight

I’m looking for a triple axle aluminum boat trailer, like the ones the surplus Uscg 25’ are being sold with. Just so you know mr surplus.

Check out the hull truth for trailers. Also get a fla boat trader.

[QUOTE=Tugs;175696]I worked on a couple of Allis-Chalmers years ago and if my brain is working correctly (which does not happen much anymore) this one is a 4 (Fixed Brain Fart) stroke. To me these engines remind me of Cummins and were pretty good engines.

A quick Google search brought up a rebuilt 670T that was priced around $3,000. From the looks of it they were used in a lot of Farm Equipment but they are some differences in the setup and some of them are different depending on what their original use was.

Send me a PM if you want to talk about this. I have a decent amount of experience working on Old Engines.

Good Luck on flipping it and I hope you make some real money on it.[/QUOTE]

Man, my brain must be shot for me to say 2 stroke when I knew that it was a 4 stroke. Maybe I should swap out my CE License in for a Mates License if I keep making rookie mistakes like that.

c.captain, just make sure that it has NEW Batteries otherwise it will NEVER Run. :cool:

[QUOTE=Tugs;175753]Man, my brain must be shot for me to say 2 stroke when I knew that it was a 4 stroke. Maybe I should swap out my CE License in for a Mates License if I keep making rookie mistakes like that.

c.captain, just make sure that it has NEW Batteries otherwise it will NEVER Run. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Don’t worry. For everyone of these senior moments we have, the young guys have a dozen junior moments.

that and it’s is ancient you really are only appealing to a small market in my opinion but around here PNW there always seems to be a buyer for stuff like that good luck capt, but nice score!

[QUOTE=rshrew;175769]that and it’s is ancient you really are only appealing to a small market in my opinion but around here PNW there always seems to be a buyer for stuff like that good luck capt, but nice score![/QUOTE]

you’re right that it is old but there is something to be said for the old equipment being built simpler and more robust than the equipment of today plus way easier to fix too!

That thing has Remote Alaska written all over it. Someone will want it for a hunting lodge, small gold dredging operation,or something similar. No one will be coming by to check the emissions. It will look very cheap compared to the huge freight bill to get it there.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;175795]That thing has Remote Alaska written all over it. Someone will want it for a hunting lodge, small gold dredging operation,or something similar. No one will be coming by to check the emissions. It will look very cheap compared to the huge freight bill to get it there.[/QUOTE]

that’s an idea. You know that the genset is a pretty good match for the power demands of that hydraulic powerpack so maybe I can market them together?

anyway, the tier III requirements only effects new engines or repower installations on inspected vessels however an uninspected vessel I do not believe need to comply with that nor any stationary application. I might take the engine off this unit and put on a Cat or Cummins which might make it easier to flip and then resell the diesel to industry. First I have to see the response to marketing it with the Allis Chalmers engine. I am thinking $7k for the generator and $3k for the switchgear? I have the powerpack already advertised at $5k (my winning bid on that was $125!)

Anyone want to invest in me? I am building a good trackrecord with these surplus buys and with more capital I could step it up to the big leagues…

Before the recession I did a lot of equipment buying and selling. I’m thinking of starting up again this year. The money is in flipping after pressure washing and painting. Minor repair is ok, but anything major usually turns it into a money loser. If equipment needs anything major, it’s usually better to part it out.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;175800]Before the recession I did a lot of equipment buying and selling. I’m thinking of starting up again this year. The money is in flipping after pressure washing and painting. Minor repair is ok, but anything major usually turns it into a money loser. If equipment needs anything major, it’s usually better to part it out.[/QUOTE]

I agree but you forgot to add, don’t buy any boats!

I’m finding the best buys are the lots too big for the average person to handle and nothing popular like powertools

the downside is the cashflow while waiting for a sale

had another great buy earlier this year which was a 1981 Ford C8000 4x4 fire truck which came from the Cowlitz County Rural Fire District. Picked it up for $2500 and got it listed for $8500 for wildland water tanker duty

The best market for your fire truck is probably for export to Latin America or Africa. They won’t buy anything with a computer in it. For US trucks that means nothing after 1994.

I have bought quite a few small boats at auctions. It is a money maker, as long as there are no expensive repairs. I have had good luck buying boats with a non-running engine. Boatyards want to sell a $20,000 engine and charge $20,000 to install it in a boat that will never be worth over $25,000. I’ve had some of the engines running in a few hours, others after a few weeks of penetrating oil in the cylinders. If they need anything major its best just to try to dump the boat for the purchase price.

A friend bought a really nice 50’ yacht for $10,000. It had sold a couple years before for almost $200,000. The problem was that the 6-71 had thrown a rod and there was no way to get it out without removing and reinstalling a lot of teak joiner work. The yard wanted something like $30,000 for a replacement engine and $50,000 to remove the 6-71 , install the new engine, and restore the interior. The owner wanted out. My friend bought a plasma cutter and cut the 6-71 up into pieces he could lug out without touching the joiner work. He then installed a good used Isuzu that stripped down fit through the hatches. He sailed the boat for three years and then sold it for $125,000.

I doubt that there is much of an export market for an Allis Chalmers gen set. I think you can probably double your money easily enough on the gen set, but I do not see it selling in the range that you are hoping for.

with all the forest fires we’ve been having out west here there is a shortage of equipment which meets US Forrest Service requirements for contracted water tenders. 4WD is a big advantage and you need to be able to carry 2500gallons which means 20k/# which this truck can do easily.

I doubt that there is much of an export market for an Allis Chalmers gen set. I think you can probably double your money easily enough on the gen set, but I do not see it selling in the range that you are hoping for.

nonsense…not with only 111 hours & 100kW! not a nickle less that $5k